#166288  by kentuckykind

As I stated in my Introduction Post, I have been working on an Alligator Build after lurking on Rukind for many months. Below are the basic spec of the build.

*Custom Hardtail Strat Swamp Ash Body (no bridge routing) relic finish by MJT
*50's Fender Lacquered Neck - stripped and relic finish by MJT
*Brass Parts by Rusch Guitars
*Star Brass Bridge
*David Allen - Voodoo 69 Pickups
*Schaller Tuners
*Added 1.5degrees of shim under the neck
*I bought off brand knobs similar to Alembic. I might change these if I buy a Strat O Blaster from Alembic.

Currently I don't have a Strat O Blaster or Buffer of any kind installed. I don't know what direction I should go here so any recommendations are appreciated.

Also, I received the "String Tree" for the E – A – D – G Strings but I think the one received from Rusch is too large. I plan to fabricate one out of Brass Rod I have that seems to be closer in diameter to the original on Jerry's Strat.

I also need to fabricate a brass nut.

This is my first attempt at putting together a Partscaster and my first attempt at anything of Jerry's. Let me know what you see that could be corrected. What else am I missing?

TI4-1009, DHM, ChinaCatMatt and 2 others liked this
 #166291  by Pointclear

Gorgeous. I think the only thing you need is a stratoblaster or buffer. I’d get both and see which you like best. The blaster is definitely spec for alligator but you may want a slightly different flavor. Also, I’ve heard that the blaster sucks batteries.
Again, gorgeous alligator tribute.
 #166505  by kentuckykind

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

Last weekend, I put a little more work into my Alligator Tribute.
First, I disassembled the body and installed copper tape. Not the prettiest job I’ve seen but it was my first attempt at this, and the results are amazing. Doing this has made this by far the quietest Stratocaster I have ever owned.
Next, I wired in the Alembic Strat-o-Blaster. I placed this under the Fender Jackplate. This was a super easy install, but I don’t think the blaster would fit under the Jackplate if I didn’t route out the area under the brass plate to make more room.
When I ordered the Strat-o-Blaster, I went ahead and purchased Alembic’s Mil-Spec Knobs. I am amazed at how tall they are. I have never liked the location of the volume knob on Stratocasters, they are just too close to where I pick and strum. Now I have to dodge these massive knobs!
Last, I had a new wood riser fabricated to be about 1/2” longer. This allowed me to sand/file the pickguard to create a cleaner line where the wood riser meets the pickguard. It also allowed me to do the final shaping of the wood riser so I could get a closer fit (less gap), between the pickguard and wood riser.
The guitar is playing great and the Strat-o-Blaster is a awesome addition, but I still have a few things to do to get this project completed. I plan to have a local luthier make and install a scalloped brass nut. Next, I might fabricate a Tremolo Cover Plate out of wood, like shown in the recent Bonhams Auction photo of the back of the original Alligator. Last, I still need to figure out how I am going to fabricate or purchase the Low E, A, D, G “String Tree”. I just recently realized that it was a Brass Footmans Loop but I can’t seem to find anyone that is producing the correct size for this application. If anyone knows where to purchase one that is the correct size, I would greatly appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

NeilG1 liked this
 #166515  by lbpesq

I’m also building an Alligator. I got my Footman Loop on eBay. The listing described the size as “3/4" Strap - 2" long Civil WarMcClellan Saddle.” The interior width was just a little short, so I widened it a little with a dremel and cutting wheel to get it wide enough to fit over all four strings. Then a few days in vinegar and voila!

Bill, tgo
kentuckykind liked this
 #166522  by lightningbolt

kentuckykind wrote:As I stated in my Introduction Post, I have been working on an Alligator Build after lurking on Rukind for many months. Below are the basic spec of the build.

*Custom Hardtail Strat Swamp Ash Body (no bridge routing) relic finish by MJT
*50's Fender Lacquered Neck - stripped and relic finish by MJT
*Brass Parts by Rusch Guitars
*Star Brass Bridge
*David Allen - Voodoo 69 Pickups
*Schaller Tuners
*Added 1.5degrees of shim under the neck
*I bought off brand knobs similar to Alembic. I might change these if I buy a Strat O Blaster from Alembic.

Currently I don't have a Strat O Blaster or Buffer of any kind installed. I don't know what direction I should go here so any recommendations are appreciated.

Also, I received the "String Tree" for the E – A – D – G Strings but I think the one received from Rusch is too large. I plan to fabricate one out of Brass Rod I have that seems to be closer in diameter to the original on Jerry's Strat.

I also need to fabricate a brass nut.

This is my first attempt at putting together a Partscaster and my first attempt at anything of Jerry's. Let me know what you see that could be corrected. What else am I missing?

[/img]
The only thing I see missing is this
 #166579  by kentuckykind

lbpesq wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:21 am I’m also building an Alligator. I got my Footman Loop on eBay. The listing described the size as “3/4" Strap - 2" long Civil WarMcClellan Saddle.” The interior width was just a little short, so I widened it a little with a dremel and cutting wheel to get it wide enough to fit over all four strings. Then a few days in vinegar and voila!

Bill, tgo
Do you have a pictures of yours installed? If so, I like to see it since all of the footman loops I have found are huge in diameter.
 #166584  by lbpesq

I haven't installed it yet. Right now I am working on finishing the body and neck with Vintage Clear Nitro. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to apply any coats lately as it's been raining around here for the last week or so. I think my Footman Loop may be a little thicker in diameter than the original, but most "Alligator" builds I've seen don't even try to recreate the Footman Loop. If mine is noticeably thicker once installed, at least it will be there until I find a thinner one. I'll try to take a pic of it sitting on the head-stock and post it over the weekend if that would help.

Bill, tgo
 #166605  by smd1973

Kentucky Kind what is the "off brand" knobs that you bought. I've been looking at that style of knob, but Im not as interested if they are super tall. Do you like the off brand ones better than the Alembic?
 #166606  by sugarinthegourd

smd1973 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:33 am I've been looking at that style of knob, but Im not as interested if they are super tall.
You might check out the 3rd knob on page 4 here: not exactly the same, but in the ballpark, and they are available in different heights. The Alembic ones are extremely tall (as were the mil spec knobs on Alligator & Wolf).

http://www.ehcknobs.com/pdfs/catalog/Military_Knobs.pdf
 #166608  by kentuckykind

sugarinthegourd wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:45 am
smd1973 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:33 am I've been looking at that style of knob, but Im not as interested if they are super tall.
You might check out the 3rd knob on page 4 here: not exactly the same, but in the ballpark, and they are available in different heights. The Alembic ones are extremely tall (as were the mil spec knobs on Alligator & Wolf).

http://www.ehcknobs.com/pdfs/catalog/Military_Knobs.pdf
That is actually the know that I ordered. You can also look at the ones shown below. They are the same design but as Alembic's knobs, but you might find a shorter/smaller knob.

http://www.ehcknobs.com/selector/index. ... =4&group=D
sugarinthegourd liked this