#166282  by Pointclear

augustwest1 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:52 pm Looks great. Congratulations on stringing up your first one!
Thanks man. Its definitely not perfect but I’m really happy with it for a first build. It’s got super distortions and a tcp-2 buffer now. I like the strat pickup in neck a lot though. Im thinking I may have to build another one with alnico 5 strat pups.
This one sounds very early 80’s tigerish.
 #166283  by Pointclear

I’m really interested in direct mounting the pickups to the body. I’m not sure I like pickguard mounting.
 #166284  by ac4468

Pointclear wrote:I’m really interested in direct mounting the pickups to the body. I’m not sure I like pickguard mounting.
There are some systems out there that will work with standard pickups but I don't love them. The Alembic way of doing it works great but would require that you modify the pickup screw holes and make some custom screws. It's nice in that it doesn't use springs and it pretty solid.
Pointclear liked this
 #166286  by Pointclear

ac4468 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:39 pm
Pointclear wrote:I’m really interested in direct mounting the pickups to the body. I’m not sure I like pickguard mounting.
There are some systems out there that will work with standard pickups but I don't love them. The Alembic way of doing it works great but would require that you modify the pickup screw holes and make some custom screws. It's nice in that it doesn't use springs and it pretty solid.
Exactly. I don’t want to mess up the original screw holes.... I’ve looked at the Warwick threaded inserts as well, but I’m not sure if they’d be compatible with the 3-48 screws that dimarzio uses.
I’ve gotten so accustomed to the direct mount pickups in my rickenbacker 650d, and I really enjoy the directness, fidelity , solidity, and sustain it has.
I’m wonder if putting foam pads under the pickguard mounted pickups may be a good compromise. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?
 #166287  by tntawney

Wow, great job!!
 #166290  by Pointclear

aiq wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:35 am Great job, Pointclear. Will you be playing that thing in the area?
Yes! I’ll be playing with east l.a. fade-away!
aiq liked this