#156759  by TI4-1009

Welcome Merkin! I agree with Jon (on both content and "style"). You're on the right track- there are minor variables for both guitar and amp that we could argue on for points, but all will get you close enough for what you're after at this point. If it were me I'd go with the Blues Jr. or another Fender tube amp. I tried the Vox hybrid modeling amp but found it was a very pale likeness of a "real" AC15 when I finally got one (for my non-Jer stuff). Enjoy!
 #156766  by gratefulredhead

Hey man, don't listen to the naysayer. I have been playing for 32 years, I play the Garcia paerts in a successful Dead tribute band, and I learned on an electric guitar. The electric and acoustic guitars are different instruments in my opinion. They require different approaches, and things you learn on one don't always translate well to the other. The best thing you can do is get an instrument that is easy to play, that stays in tune and sounds good. It will help your u to learn more quickly and will likely cause you to spend more time practicing. It's all about the practice.

I put together a great sounding alligator style axe for about $600. I bought an LTD strat copy, about 400 bucks new, and put a set of D.Allen Voodoo 69s in it. Upgraded the electronics too, but thats cheap. Throw an Alembic blaster in there and you're good to go!

Have a blast!
 #156767  by TI4-1009

gratefulredhead wrote:The electric and acoustic guitars are different instruments in my opinion.
You're in good company- Jerry said the same thing in one of his interviews- except he was emphatic about it.
 #156771  by eric

All I was trying to tell the guy is he might want to slow down a bit and learn how to play before he starts spec-ing out a sig electric. Not the craziest idea in the world.

The learn on an acoustic vs electric is an age old debate, and I was simply giving him my opinion of the other side, and was actually trying to help him since he is an absolute beginner. Once again, not the craziest idea.

In my first post I even said yes, I think thats a good guitar. I already apologized to him for coming off harsh, even AFTER he lashed out with name calling and a personal insult.

If he came in and was like hey yall I've been playing for a little bit now and I'm ready to go down the rabbit hole where should I start? Thats a completely different ballgame.

Imagine going to a motorcycle forum and a newb says, hey I was thinking about a Hayabusa, but instead I'm gonna get a CBR600 and here are the mods I'm gonna do, and oh yeah I haven't actually ridden a motorcycle yet... Congrats on your ignorance and arrogance you're the textbook definition of a poser.

Drop a little real-talk around here and everyone loses their mind. Maybe if he cant handle some mild constructive criticism, the internet just isn't for him? No bigs
 #156775  by aiq

Of course anyone can do whatever they want. Never in question, but a suggestion to get a little time in before spending what could be a significant sum is not crazy talk.

I used to have a friend who was a serial hobbyist. Bow hunting? Got the most expensive he could find. Photography? several expensive cameras and a darkroom setup. Pedal steel? Didn't even play any instrument but got a Sho-Bud and Music Man amp.

Each "passion" lasted about six months. At least he could sell the pedal steel.

Good luck OP and I hope you get joy out of it. That's the end all really.
 #156780  by Wharfster

The best advice is that you should be able to make any piece/combination of gear sound good.

I'm sure the list of things you had at the beginning will get you most of the way there. I tend to agree that it's probably more than you need, but I'm also a gear head - you should be inspired by the sound you're getting, and the toys are part of that. I started on electric and also agree that some acoustic playing could inform your approach (as it did Garcia's), but to stick to whatever you want to excel at. Add a Qtron! I also dig the sound of old MXR distortions and phasers. You kind find some cheap ones on ebay. I'm particular to that the 80's/90's sound. When you're ready to step out of the bedroom onto a stage, we can talk SMS/Carvin DCML, tiger buffer, earth drive, 2x12's, and Cali Webers - my poor man's setup for a basic stage rig.

Imitation, by the way, is a great way to learn. Ask any successful painter, writer, really any kind of artist. We learn fundamentally through attempting to mirror or recreate, even as children. Then we make our own thing out of it. If I've learned anything from these forums, it's that I love Jerry and Bob's sound, but I have my own licks, songs, etc., going on, and I like to chase that now mostly - I use some of the Dead's technical wisdom to get there, but aspire to be original.

In general it is a valuable thing to learn to be yourself. Keep searchin' for the sound!
 #156782  by Jon S.

I ran across this today - interesting: https://www.guitar9.com/columnist869.html
 #156791  by Ebearius

I don't think the original poster's ideas were out if line in any way. In fact, I would likely upgrade a couple of items so as to not require new purchases if he progresses. The Mexican (Standard) Series Strats that I've seen typically have better fretwork. Not much of an up charge.
I would encourage him to look at a real tube amp like a Blues Jr. Or even a "semi-tube" amp like a Super Champ XD. The guy is not committing big capital to this endeavor by the standards of this site. Come on. We are usually delighted to help other people spend their money. If he buys right, and sticks with it, he'll have useable gear, for the foreseeable future, for under a grand. And, if it doesn't take, then it's just a minor ding to kick it all on Craigslist. No big deal.