#169415  by Jon S.

I am so in awe of talent like Bob's. :cool:
 #171549  by TI4-1009

And- as expected- the website is as tasteful and beautiful as your lutherie.
augustwest1 liked this
 #175168  by ryanhostetler

augustwest1 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:50 am It's not a silly question at all. The right break angle is a function of scale length, where the neck meets the body, height of your frets and, most importantly, the height of your bridge. As it happens, the break angle on this guitar is 2.6 degrees, but I didn't know that before starting: You can lay it all out on paper, and determine your precise angle, even if you have no idea what its numerical value is.

In terms of the how, I just transferred my full scale drawing to a thin/easily-worked piece of MDF and when that template was perfect, transferred it to two 3/4" pieces of MDF, attached clamps and stop blocks, etc. After roughing out the neck blank on the band saw, I use those jigs to shape both the top and bottom contour of the blank, using a bearing-guided sanding drum on the drill press. If your jigs are correct, and your drill press set up properly, it's a no-brainer to replicate exact neck blanks over and over. (Lot's of people do this sort of shaping on a router table, but that scares me both in terms of safety and tear-out, especially on the bottom side where some of the shaping is pretty extreme. There's no risks of any kind using a drill press).

If you follow the link on my initial post to this threat, look about 7 or 8 photos in for the jigs that have red handled toggle clamps on them, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Hi Bob,

I want to start by commending your for your absolutely incredible work. Truly superb!

I'm an aspiring luthier, and I'm looking to build my first neck-through, likely a Wolf. I'm quite intrigued by the bearing-guided sanding drum on a drill press setup you have described here. I went back to look at the link you posted at the start of this thread, and the link is now dead. I would, if possible, very much like to know what was in the thread, or at least see the photos of the setup that you have described, if you are willing.

Thank you for your time, and for the eye candy!

Ryan