#168569  by LazyLightning72

jalevinemd wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:11 pm Kluson Harmonica Bridge
I really like the look of it, are you happy with its performance?

I’m going to Photoshop one onto my Wolf to see how it would look, but I’m thinking it would look pretty nice.
 #168570  by jalevinemd

I've got one on each of the two guitars that Bob Fishman (Augustwest1) built for me. I haven't had any issues to date.
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #168572  by augustwest1

What jalevinmd said -- they look great and function well. (Better than the original Gibsons if you ask me.)

But it's almost certainly a moot point in your case LL72. You can plug a toaster or a lamp into the same power outlet (in the US). But you can't drop a Kluson bridge onto the posts of any old guitar. True of Klusons; true of all bridges.

That said, you could mod your guitar for a Kluson bridge. I don't do that sort of work myself, but I'm guessing that all the tried-and-true folks in these parts would (rightly) charge you more for the mod than you paid for the guitar itself. :roll:
ryanhostetler liked this
 #168573  by LazyLightning72

augustwest1 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:11 pm What jalevinmd said -- they look great and function well. (Better than the original Gibsons if you ask me.)

But it's almost certainly a moot point in your case LL72. You can plug a toaster or a lamp into the same power outlet (in the US). But you can't drop a Kluson bridge onto the posts of any old guitar. True of Klusons; true of all bridges.

That said, you could mod your guitar for a Kluson bridge. I don't do that sort of work myself, but I'm guessing that all the tried-and-true folks in these parts would (rightly) charge you more for the mod than you paid for the guitar itself. :roll:
I have no intention of getting one, I just thought it would be neat to see how one would look on my Wolf using Photoshop.
 #168576  by Budman

I saw a Eastwood wolf for sale on reverb and it was upgraded with dimarzio pick ups wados buffer and a harmonica bridge . I am guessing the harmonica bridge had at least the same spacing as the one the Eastwood came with because it was mounted in the exact same spot as the original bridge on a angle ,I would think it someone had to plug up the old holes and drill new ones they would of put it on straight ,parallel to the brass pickup surround ,like on jerry's wolf? I totally wrong but it was definitely on a angle and did not look quite right I never saw a harmonica bridge put on at a angle.
TI4-1009 liked this
 #168579  by lbpesq

I just checked out several Eastwood Wolf’s listed on reverb and they all have the original bridge mounted at a slant! Don’t know why they would do this? Wolf’s bridge wasn’t mounted at a slant. I would expect a slanted bridge to narrow the potential range of the saddles when setting intonation. I assume they have a reason, just can’t imagine what it would be.

Bill, tgo
jalevinemd liked this
 #168580  by LazyLightning72

So far I have not had an issue with intonation on mine, and that’s with a few different string gauges, different action heights, as well as trying out different amounts of relief (ranging from .005-.030)

It currently has a set of Ernie Ball Cobalt .010-.046, with .020 relief, and 3/64 high E & 5/64 Low E action. It plays great with this set up, and it’s where I think I’m going to keep it for a while now.

I’m going to go have a look at the modified one on reverb.

Anyhow,
Sorry OP I didn’t mean to derail your thread. This is an absolutely beautiful guitar, which I am sure will give you a lifetime of enjoyment.
 #168584  by jalevinemd

lbpesq wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:02 am I just checked out several Eastwood Wolf’s listed on reverb and they all have the original bridge mounted at a slant! Don’t know why they would do this? Wolf’s bridge wasn’t mounted at a slant. I would expect a slanted bridge to narrow the potential range of the saddles when setting intonation. I assume they have a reason, just can’t imagine what it would be.

Bill, tgo
Bill...I totally agree. I never got the slanted bridge concept. Seems like there's unnatural tension placed on the strings at the saddles. Gibson has been doing this for more than 60 years. I had a Scott Walker guitar built several years ago. I bought a bridge from Alembic for him to use and damn if he didn't install it at an angle. It was so weird.
 #168594  by ac4468

Budman wrote:I saw a Eastwood wolf for sale on reverb and it was upgraded with dimarzio pick ups wados buffer and a harmonica bridge . I am guessing the harmonica bridge had at least the same spacing as the one the Eastwood came with because it was mounted in the exact same spot as the original bridge on a angle ,I would think it someone had to plug up the old holes and drill new ones they would of put it on straight ,parallel to the brass pickup surround ,like on jerry's wolf? I totally wrong but it was definitely on a angle and did not look quite right I never saw a harmonica bridge put on at a angle.
I'd have to measure mine but I believe the saddle travel on a tune-o-matic is less than on a harmonica. So presumably it's angled to allow for a more useable intonation range. That said, on an Eastwood, rather that plugging and redrilling for the harmonica you'd be better off just routing a larger cavity for a brass retainer block drilled for the Kluson. No refinishing either! OR just get a Wolf from the OP :-)
 #169370  by merryrunaround

I just received a wolf replica from Bob a couple of weeks ago and can't say enough good things about it. It is very beautiful ,and plays like a dream. The craftsmanship is outstanding ,the electronics are the real deal for jerry tone and wired up very nice and clean . It has made my playing a little better to,with the tone ,ease of playing and how playable all the way up and down the neck it is. Bob is really nailing it in all categories. Even besides being such a fine luthier his care for the customer is just as fine as his guitar building skills . I was always updated with really nice photos throughout the process and bob was always quick to respond to any message I highly recommend bob for anyone interested in a fine wolf guitar ,his tigers look just as impressive! I have been lucky enough to own and play many fine instruments throughout my life so I do have an idea of what it takes to be a fine instrument and this is one. Sorry no pics iam sure bob can help
LazyLightning72, ac4468, NeilG1 and 2 others liked this
 #169371  by Jon S.

^^^
Welcome to RUKIND. It's cool that you came here specifically to testify as to your new August West Wolf AND now that you have why not stick around? :D
 #169384  by LazyLightning72

Jon S. wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:41 pm ^^^
Welcome to RUKIND. It's cool that you came here specifically to testify as to your new August West Wolf AND now that you have why not stick around? :D
Welcome and +1!
(~)}:}
 #169394  by augustwest1

The guitar MRA is talking about looks a lot like the other guitars I’ve posted photos of in this folder. So instead of posting more of the same….

I bought a piece of quilted maple a while back that was long enough to yield tops/backs for three guitars. The first billet was used on a guitar that I’ve kept. The last of the three was used on MRA’s guitar. I used the same sealer and lacquer on both. Here they are side by side, which shows how the same finish on the same piece of lumber has changed in appearance over three years.

NeilG1, Jblue76, ac4468 and 1 others liked this
 #169396  by NeilG1

Stunning work as always, Bob.
Enjoy the new axe MRA!!
 #169403  by lbpesq

Beautiful work! The pic of the billets brings back fond memories of searching through the wood piles at the Alembic factory when I personally picked out the 5A Quilted Maple and Cocobolo pieces for my custom Further, “Woody”, back in 2004.

Bill, tgo