#156241  by augustwest1

About 9 months after finishing the prototype, I've finally finished my first crack at a true replica. Used all the same jigs/templates and 90% of the same building techniques for this one. Took a bunch of photos documenting the process again for anyone who is interested. https://photos.app.goo.gl/fMKAaKWyxB9A2DCB9

No real surprises in terms of materials or construction: body is an 11-piece sandwich, neck's a 5-piece laminate, ebony fingerboard with "ivorylike" inlays, 6-layer sandwich on the back of the headstock and brass inlay on top, 2-way truss rod adjustible from the PUP cavity. The wolf inlay is brass, ivorylike, maple & died tulipier (black) and koto (red) veneers. Schaller tuners, Kluson bridge, nitro lacquer.

I used a sort of combination of Waldo's Tiger and Wolf wiring schematics for the guts -- Super IIs, sd-1, Waldo buffer & obel. The only real modification -- which I love -- is that middle tone pot has a push/pull switch that disengages the 9volt without having to unplug the guitar. Thanks for the suggestion Waldo -- a feature I'll definitely include on future builds.

Here's a few photos:

Last edited by augustwest1 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #156242  by TI4-1009

Wow. You're KILLING it Bob. Beautiful work.
ryanhostetler liked this
 #156243  by Searing75

Beautiful work! I would kill for that guitar! If it were mine, I would swap in Super Distortions in place of the Super II's though. Or, D. Allen Voo doo 69's!
Last edited by Searing75 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #156246  by ac4468

I got a chance to spend the day with Bob a week or so ago when visiting my son in CO. I was able to play his first and second Wolf's and this one really is a beautiful well made guitar. Nice work Bob!
 #156248  by kurt eye

Me likey.
 #156256  by bluemule

Very nice! :shock: :cool: How do you like the SD-1 in the neck? I was going to get a D Allen for a neck in my next S/H/H guitar but he only sells sets now.
 #156293  by Free Jazz

Searing75 wrote:Beautiful work! I would kill for that guitar! If it were mine, I would swap in Super Distortions in place of the Super II's though. Or, D. Allen Voo doo 69's!
Agreed with all of the above. ("If it were mine," oh man... ) Or, like another has done, swappable pickup plate assortments.
Just Gorgeous work! Interesting top bevel as well.
 #156305  by augustwest1

Thanks for the feedback folks, I really appreciate it!

Bluemule: I do like the SDI at the neck. But honestly, it could be almost anything for the amount of time I spend there.

Searing75: It's not a virtue, but I tend to acclimate pretty quickly to whatever pickups I'm using. Your comment makes me think I should drop a couple super distortions into the Wolf I'm building now and check 'em out.

Free Jazz: I assume your comment about an "interesting bevel" is a polite way of saying wrong. You might be right. I'm honestly not sure. I do know it is more difficult to create a nice crisp edge along the bevel than to round/sand it over to a sort of indistinguishable transition. So being able to achieve the former, I'm reluctant to replicate the latter, particularly since I'm not certain that in doing so, I'd be replicating the real deal. Just another tiny aspect of what makes building, and debating, these guitars so enjoyable.
 #156325  by Free Jazz

augustwest1 wrote:...
Free Jazz: I assume your comment about an "interesting bevel" is a polite way of saying wrong. You might be right. I'm honestly not sure.
Au contraire. I love it, and it lends more "authority" to the axe. That's my fault for commenting ambiguously. Your bevel is not as intentionally obvious as Robert Dixon's carves over at Prairiewood Guitars, and perhaps that approach might be considered "wrong." But for a "Wolf," and the tones we imagine and conjure, I salute your decision. I PREFER it, actually. Beautiful work, and you sound fantastic on it.
 #156903  by Anitrak

Probably a stupid question but how did you determine and cut the neck angle? It looks like you cut it on a table or band saw. I was just curious how you were able to get that level of accuracy.
ryanhostetler liked this
 #156904  by tnt1234

Incredible....just stunning. Great work.