#173965  by kentuckykind

I am thinking about putting together a guitar that would have a headstock similar to Garcia's Wolf. I was wondering if anyone knows what the gold stripe (binding) on the headstock is and how they "installed" this detail?

I was thinking of using Gold Foil Pinstripe and lay it on the headstock and then shoot it with nitro, but wanted to see if anyone has a better approach.

As always, thank for the help and for sharing your knowledge!

Cheers
 #173968  by TI4-1009

Pretty sure that's (as you said) a few layers of binding. But the guy who can tell you EXACTLY how to do it is Bob Fishman, known here as augustwest1. Drop him a message.
 #173991  by thistle3585

From outside in it is ebony, maple, purpleheart, maple then the ebony headstock. I've actually been trying to figure out what the materials are in the Wolf logo.
 #174012  by ac4468

I believe the pinstripe on the top perimeter of the headstock is hemlock. It's more of a purfling between the faceplate and the actual headstock binding.
 #174119  by AaronW

thistle3585 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:34 am I've actually been trying to figure out what the materials are in the Wolf logo.
I had found it somewhere, but I can seem to find where I stored it. This is from memory:
Face - Ebony
Snout - Brass
Tounge - Purple Heart
Inner Mouth - Ebony
Teeth - Ivory
Background - Maple
Surround - Can't remember

If someone has the full list, and if I'm wrong please let me know :biggrin:
ryanhostetler liked this