#173271  by OhiaMagnolia

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, new to the board (thanks for having me), but commissioned a build from Rusch and we are in year 2 on the waiting.

Curious if others here have had Rusch build a Jerry Guitar and how long it took?
 #173275  by lbpesq

I think it’s just the nature of the beast. My custom Alembic Further took 2.5 years.

How many luthiers does it take to change a lightbulb?
Just one … but you have to wait six months.

Bill, tgo
Jon S. liked this
 #173283  by somedirection

I was super happy with my custom build by Bob Fishman who is on this forum (as augustwest I believe).
It took about 6 months from order to in my hands.
Bob built me a wolf style guitar with cocobolo top, tiger electronics, set neck, chambered body. It's amazing.
Pricing was very reasonable for a custom crafted, top quality instrument.

I would recommend taking a look at the threads in this forum where other customers of Bob rave about him and his guitars.

https://www.8westguitars.com/
Des
TI4-1009, sw72 liked this
 #173284  by Jon S.

I'm thinking "Rusch" is a funny name for the builder under the circumstances. :lol:
 #173285  by TI4-1009

Bob made me a pickup ring about 10 years ago, happy customer (but a guitar is a whole 'nother animal).

When I ordered my lefty Phiga Tiger in 2011 the delivery dates kept slipping and I got frustrated. It was finally delivered and I'm happy with it. Having built a few guitars since then I wish I had been more patient (hindsight) because "shit happens"- multiplied by x number of customer guitars in the works. If you want a production guitar you can get it off the rack.

I would say the main thing is if you are getting good communication and updates from Bob. If/when that goes away it's time to be concerned.
OhiaMagnolia liked this
 #173288  by strumminsix

My experience... if you get a good faith estimate double it in your mind and be happy with updates every few months.
 #173289  by Jon S.

As John Steinbeck put it so eloquently in Travels with Charlie, "Schedules, brass bound and inevitable, dash themselves to wreckage on the face of the trip."

Myself, I can understand slippage in a build.

What I don't appreciate is failure on the luthier's part to keep his or her clients updated, especially when the luthier has taken money upfront.

Golden rule, folks.

I'll add that many of us seem to apply different "rules" to luthiers and techs than we would to any other service provider. The rationale seems to be, "They're artists so they can't be rushed or expected to provide normal communication." I admit to having taken this approach myself in the past. But it's unprofessional and unfair to clients.
OhiaMagnolia liked this
 #173292  by lbpesq

Jon S. wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:11 pm As John Steinbeck put it so eloquently in Travels with Charlie, "Schedules, brass bound and inevitable, dash themselves to wreckage on the face of the trip."

Myself, I can understand slippage in a build.

What I don't appreciate is failure on the luthier's part to keep his or her clients updated, especially when the luthier has taken money upfront.

Golden rule, folks.

I'll add that many of us seem to apply different "rules" to luthiers and techs than we would to any other service provider. The rationale seems to be, "They're artists so they can't be rushed or expected to provide normal communication." I admit to having taken this approach myself in the past. But it's unprofessional and unfair to clients.

"unprofessional and unfair"... unfortunately, you left out "accurate".

I think one explanation is lack of competition. Many of us have zero luthiers in town,
and I suspect few have more than one.

Bill, tgo
 #173304  by sw72

somedirection wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:02 am I was super happy with my custom build by Bob Fishman who is on this forum (as augustwest I believe).
Bob built me a wolf style guitar with cocobolo top, tiger electronics, set neck, chambered body. It's amazing.

I would recommend taking a look at the threads in this forum where other customers of Bob rave about him and his guitars.

Des
I second this advocation for Bob Fishman and 8westguitars. The build journey can be and should be a lot of fun. Bob was great with me - we communicated no less than weekly all along the trail. He shared his success and his struggles weekly. Lots of photos and email chats. All in pursuit of what ultimately is an amazing final product (Wolf). Having the opportunity to witness not just the final product but all that ended up in the in recycling bin made the process so memorable and enjoyable. Two thumbs up for Bob. I have been blessed with opportunities to compare and I have no reservations advocating for him as a builder of choice.
OhiaMagnolia liked this
 #173314  by OhiaMagnolia

Jon S. wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:14 am I'm thinking "Rusch" is a funny name for the builder under the circumstances. :lol:
lolololololololololololol, that got me good
Jon S. liked this
 #173315  by OhiaMagnolia

somedirection wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:02 am I was super happy with my custom build by Bob Fishman who is on this forum (as augustwest I believe).

Des
Dig that, I might be switching builders if not complete by end of August. I also get Covid happened and supplied chain get rekt etc.
 #173563  by samterk1

OhiaMagnolia wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:21 am Not sure if this is the right place to post this, new to the board (thanks for having me), but commissioned a build from Rusch and we are in year 2 on the waiting.

Curious if others here have had Rusch build a Jerry Guitar and how long it took?
I'm also on the commission list from Rusch and am in around the same length of waiting... right there with ya...
Each time I've reached out he's been very responsive – after a while I figured that when it'll come it comes.... i'm still very excited, but can't hold my breath anymore like I was for the first 8 months or so of waiting :smile:

BUT also, TBH I scratched the itch and ended up getting a new guitar separately in the meanwhile, so now I feel like I can wait comfortably for however long it takes :smile:

Anyway I can really tell he cares, I guess it just takes a long time. Try reaching out to him to say hey.
TI4-1009 liked this
 #173565  by tntawney

I had Rusch build me a Cripe Eagle replica years ago. It took about 2 years and turned out decent. He lived in New York then. Patience is a virtue I guess. My Scott Walker is going on 4.5 years. Bob Fishman built me a Wolf in about 6 months and he made it so fun. The constant communication and pictures was so cool. I can't say enough good things about the whole process. Same with Anthony Coscia.
NeilG1, strumminsix liked this
 #173566  by NeilG1

Agree with the post above - can’t beat Bob for process or finished product!