#170600  by broesau

I see that Doug is back at work in his shop. He seemed to have disappeared for quite a while there, but is now back working on guitars and fairly active on social media. I know he has been visited by some guitar builders from here, like Leo, but I just can't help and wonder why he dropped off and suddenly came back and if he is planning on building and selling guitars.
 #170601  by lightningbolt

Doug was nearly killed in a hit and run accident in 1998. He was destitute and recovery took a long long time. I am not certain he ever fully recovered. Hence why he sold Tiger and Wolf at auction 20 years ago....he desperately needed the money.

Others here probably have more details than me.
 #170602  by lightningbolt

I have commented on his instagram and he states that he never stopped building....but he is only doing one offs and not taking orders. I wish someone would post a picture of an Irwin built after 1990 or so when Rosebud was delivered...I haven't seen a single one.
 #170604  by lbpesq

Doug was making wooden neckties for a while. He showed some to me the last time I stopped by for a visit (pre-pandemic). Really beautiful, intricate, and creative!

Bill, tgo
ryanhostetler liked this
 #170647  by thistle3585

I really don't think its anyone's business, but Doug's, on his personal life over the past few years. I know I've had some difficulties in my life and I wouldn't want them speculated on nor publicized, accurate or not, across the web. I spoke with someone from Doug's shop and they said he'd be taking orders in a year or so. Right now, he is selling a variety of guitar/dead inspired items such as limited run pins, shirts, etc. He seems to post photos of projects in his shop on a regular basis.
 #170763  by TI4-1009

broesau wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:02 pm Wooden neckties!? I'd love to see one.
Photos of a few on Irwin Guitars Facebook page. Go way back to mid-2019.
 #172526  by Dave M

Hi,
I am new to this board so please I'll say sorry in advance if I do something wrongly.
I have this guitar, it says D.Irwin on the back brass plate. I acquired it from The Guitar Center in Hollywood around the mid 1970s.
For years I didn't know what I had. I had gone there to buy a Les Paul or Strat when I saw this amazing guitar with the longest neck ever sitting in a corner.
"What's that?" I asked.
"Don't know, some guy brought it in last week" was the reply.
After playing it for two minutes I asked "how much?"
$1500 in the mid 70s was a lot of money. This was before credit cards, no internet, no MTV, no UTube etc.
I bought it and have loved it ever since.
It must have been around 2000 when I was on some listserver forum, a country and western guy asked me what guitar I had.
"I said it's a Dirwin"
There was a long pause after which the country guy said (assume he was kidding) was needed to pick himself up odd the floor.
The country guy told me that it wasn't a Dirwin but a D. Irwin and since Mr. Irwin only made guitars for famous rock people, I was luck to have it.
Lucky me I thought.
A year ago I just happened to put on an old live concert by the Dead and it was on Utube. I thought Jerry's guitar looks a lot like mine.
I showed it to a Fender guitar collector where I work and also the Utube link.
He asked me to bring it in.
When I showed it to him he just said Holy Expletive!
To date, that's about all I know. It looks pre-Wolfian in shape.
I am interested in trying to find out a bit more.
I would never sell it. It's too beautiful.
Thanks much.
Dave
strumminsix, wabisabied, NeilG1 and 1 others liked this
 #172530  by Dave M

I do have photos in jpg format.
I am new here so I don't know to upload jpgs.
I will try.
hope that works.
You can tell they are amateur photos.
The guitar had originally three Hi-A type stratacaster pickups.
I changed the top one to a humbucker.
I also added a phase switch on the middle pickup.
 #172533  by Jon S.

Holy crap!! Amazing!!!
ryanhostetler liked this
 #172534  by TI4-1009

Wow. A Guitar Center find, holy crap. Almost like the classic old car "barn find".

You're a very lucky man.

Yes, you should post it on Doug's Facebook page- they're trying to locate all his old builds.
 #172535  by Cozmik Cowboy

:hail: Spectacular ax! But I think you're off on it's age. Wolf started life as Alembic #25, 1972 or '73. Irwin was still working there then. This looks to me to be a post-Wolf evolutionary step toward Tiger.
But no matter where it falls in his chronology, you have my undying envy!
ryanhostetler liked this