#168007  by Capt Rosebuddy

Hey guys,
It's been a little while since I've posted here. I hope all is well. I'm finishing up building my first 2 x 12 cab. I 'm wondering what the current thinking is on how open to make the back. There is a great picture in the GD Gear book of Parish on a knee during a show behind Garcia's rig. The speaker cab looks like it's almost totally open? there's like a 2.5" lip running around the back of the cab. Has anyone tried this setup? I'm undecided as to going this route or just cutting a third out of the middle of the back piece and calling it good. Thanks
 #168008  by lbpesq

While I am certainly not a speaker designer or builder, I have been an amateur roadie for myself for decades! If I had a cab that was essentially completely open in back, I’d be worried about damage while moving it. Not saying you shouldn’t build it that way, but if you do, you might want to consider also building a removable cover for the back for transportation purposes. Just a thought.

Bill, tgo
 #168009  by playingdead

The Hard Truckers cab I had had most of the center cut out -- about the width of the jack plate remaining on the sides.

I don't think it makes a lot of difference how big or little the cut is past a certain point ... but it would save you a little weight if you made it bigger. I would not be worried about protecting the backs of the speakers, really, the cones and dustcaps are fragile but anything that might damage the back is going to damage it whether it's partially open or completely open. Mine was in a road case with casters, which is a good idea if you're going to move it, a heck of a lot easier to roll it than it is to lift it :shock:

I even bought a portable metal dog ramp so I could roll it right into the back of the wagon. Those days are long gone for me now :lol:
Capt Rosebuddy liked this
 #168010  by Jon S.

Capt Rosebuddy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:45 amThere is a great picture in the GD Gear book of Parish on a knee during a show behind Garcia's rig. The speaker cab looks like it's almost totally open? there's like a 2.5" lip running around the back of the cab. Has anyone tried this setup? I'm undecided as to going this route or just cutting a third out of the middle of the back piece and calling it good. Thanks
Are you planning on always micing the cab? Because it will sound quite different mic'd versus straight up. I more often than not don't mic my cabs and couldn't imagine cutting the entire back off of any of mine.
 #168011  by Capt Rosebuddy

playingdead wrote:The Hard Truckers cab I had had most of the center cut out -- about the width of the jack plate remaining on the sides.
yea that's the way I see it too. I ordered the exact same one from allparts so I'll end up doing the same I think. It's almost done, getting pretty excited to hear it.