#126776  by seniorpesca

So today is the day, I just got my TRM hardtrucker's style cab. Will upload pictures very soon, came with some damage on two corners so I am going to see what Tim says before I do any finish work to it. But I was wondering what kind of finish you guys used? I have very very minimal woodwork experience (last time being 8th grade shop). I also am wondering if you guys put legs on the bottom of yours of what..would love some feed back..will post pics very very soon. Also curious if you wired you JBLs series or parralel

Thanks

Josh
 #126777  by tcsned

Dunno about the other stuff but you want to wire in parallel. Unless you have a Marshall amp that only has 8 & 16 ohm speaker outs.
 #126780  by Smolder

Parallel is best as long as you can get the load of the speaker(s) to match the available outs from the amp. I have an amp wired in series in order to match the amps output impedance. The downside of series is that if one speaker blows, you have no sound at all. If you wire in parallel, the remaining speakers will still work, though with a different impedance (load).

As for finish, a stain will obviously color the wood and be a bit more forgiving of dirty hands moving it for practice and gigs. A sanding sealer with a finish coat of clear will do even more. I've never owned an HD cab, but my understanding is that isn't not hugely effecting the tone. It doesn't seem like they really count on a massive wood structure to provide huge bass response like a marshall 4x12 or others might.
 #126782  by Tennessee Jedi

Nice looking cab !
What kind of damage ? Corner/edge got dinged in shipping ?
You should post some of that killer jams your band does sometime - great stuff
:-)
 #126784  by seniorpesca

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Nice looking cab !

yeah two corners got dinged up shipping. thanks man that last trio gig i did was alot of fun i will post it. I'm not sure which section of the forum though :-D
 #126786  by Staemius

I like clear tung oil and polish with fine steel wool. Apply as many coats as you like (I usually do 4 to 6).
 #126787  by Tennessee Jedi

seniorpesca wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:Nice looking cab !

yeah two corners got dinged up shipping. thanks man that last trio gig i did was alot of fun i will post it. I'm not sure which section of the forum though :-D
Battle scars bro !

Post music here
forum/viewforum.php?f=343

You guys have a great sound !
 #126827  by seniorpesca

Tim is the man, amazing customer service which I had heard this numerous times before ordering the cab. He just said I could send it back and he would take care of it. Might just have him take care of the finish and add it to the tab :lol:
 #126828  by rugger

Honestly, I don't know if it's worth the time or energy sending it back. The cabs are inexpensive as it is and the corners will get dinged over time anyways. Unless of course there's some structural damage, then by all means, send it back.

I'm going to +1 the tung oil recommendation. It's easy to apply and looks great. You can find it at Home Depot.

I put rubber feet on mine, but that's just a preference thing. You can find those with a quick google search, or Mojotone maybe.

Enjoy.

john in san diego
 #126845  by Yankee Tim

I used rattle can Minwax satin lacquer on my TRM and I'm very happy with the result.
 #126954  by seniorpesca

Aquamauza wrote:I just bought this cab. Where did you get the speaker clips?
Ebay
 #126957  by TI4-1009

I used Lowe's "Tung Oil Finish" on my pine TRM cab, 5-6 coats. It's not a very hard, "protective" type of finish- like poly, but you can just add another coat when you want to. Just remember that the "tung oil" you get at the big box places isn't really pure tung oil, it's mostly solvent that dries off quickly leaving behind a little tung oil. You have to poke around to get the real full-strength tung oil.