#122199  by gr8fl4295

I have a new cab with a E110 installed. The speaker is held in with it's own screws, but I grabbed some HT style clips to dress it up a little. My question is, why does the speaker clips have a small ledge on the bottom? Why is it not flat to be flush with the cab? What is the reason for the 3 steps? I'll try to post a photo.

At this point, the clips are only holding on a thin speaker grill, and not the actual speaker. So there is not really any real weight on them. I'm just curious why these are designed this way.

#122201  by strumminsix

From an engineering perspective it looks like a simple way to get a good angle to ensure there is proper downward pressure holding the speaker in place.
 #122202  by gr8fl4295

Ah, that makes sense! This is why I'm an art director and not an engineer.

Thanks!
 #122203  by playingdead

The regular HT ("Bear") style clip does not work with the E-110 (or the K-110) because the rim of the speaker is much flatter where the clip contacts the frame. The E-120, which is what it was designed for, has a much fatter (taller) rim with the cork surround.

When Hard Truckers built me a custom 2X10 cabinet, they initially sent the regular style clips, which did not work. Glenn had to have special ones machined to work correctly. This would be an issue on any of these cabinets where you choose a speaker that has a flat frame.

If you look at the old 2X10 Hard Trucker cabinets the Dead used back in the late 70s and early 80s (Brent's keyboard rig had one), you'll note the there were no clips and the JBLs were mounted with the frame on the back of the baffle, and you could see the screws on the outside.

#122205  by gr8fl4295

Yeah, I knew it was going to be a different situation with the 110. But I think it will work out.
Here's the cab, and pre-Tiger. Santa has that. :-)

#122206  by gr8fl4295

I had the grill laser cut out of pearl acrylic. Backed it with speaker cloth.
Why did I cover up the speaker with a grill? I have a 3 year toddler that's very curious. He's already dented the dust dome cover.
 #122207  by rugger

gr8fl4295 wrote:I had the grill laser cut out of pearl acrylic. Backed it with speaker cloth.
Why did I cover up the speaker with a grill? I have a 3 year toddler that's very curious. He's already dented the dust dome cover.
Nifty! Dig it.

john in san diego
 #122208  by tcsned

gr8fl4295 wrote:I had the grill laser cut out of pearl acrylic. Backed it with speaker cloth.
been there :-) mine never got to my guitar cabs but did a number on some nice Infinity tower speakers.
 #122227  by WildEye

Nice cover, can you notice even the slightest difference in tone with it on? I got a buddy with a laser and a few ideas... and a 2yr old...
 #122230  by czyfingers

Looks like the cover now serves 2 purposes.... Keeps your kid's fingers out and acts as a shim so your clips work. :) also looks pretty cool too. I dig it.
 #122237  by gr8fl4295

WildEye,
I have't heard any tone change. If there is any, it's VERY slight and unnoticeable.

Thanks for the compliments!
I stained and finished the cab as well. Hoping it will be a nice pairing with the Tiger.