#121887  by Jerry1996x

So I may be trading up for a cab with a D130 in it, but the D130 has a tear in the cone. From the look of the pic, the tear is pretty substancial. He sais it still sounds ok, it looks like it was taped from the back. So can this be easily repaired? Is it worth it?
 #121888  by Smolder

It substantially reduces the value of the speaker. I've seen some held together for low volume with tape, but there are a couple of other choices... I've seen small wrinkles fixed well with super glue, but it dries fairly stiff. paper towel or tissue strips with elmer's is another approach, but it gets a bit stiff as well. Lastly, rubber cement will hold and be more flexible, but it will wear and fall apart after a few years.

The good news (might be) that because the D130's aren't as popular as the D120's, you might be able to get it reckoned with a factory kit. Orange county is one of the largest re-coners, so I'd check with them. The longer you wait to re-cone a JBL the less likely you'll get a factory kit to be installed.
 #121889  by Jerry1996x

Ok, thanks for the info. Would super glue work even for a pretty long tear? I dont have the money for a factory re-cone now, so cheap is good.
 #121891  by tcsned

I have a boogie 2x12 that I found a hole in the cone which I plugged with some silicon sealer and it still sounds fine. I think I did that in 1989 or so. Depends on if the paper is flopping around. Tears are worse than holes.
 #121892  by Smolder

Jerry1996x wrote:Ok, thanks for the info. Would super glue work even for a pretty long tear? I dont have the money for a factory re-cone now, so cheap is good.

So a couple of things,

a) that's a pretty big tear. That cone needs to move and flex, I would not use super glue for this. I'd be more likely to work with rubber cement or silicone.

b) Not sure about that tape, but you might be making it worse... especially if that tape does not come off well. How does it sound now? Do you need to be messing with it?

lastly, I've been working with these speakers for fun and have both successfully and unsuccessfully repaired some. But this is not my full time gig and I'm not an expert. Give Dutch @ vin-tone.com a buzz. He's on this rukind and has way way more experience and expertise than I.
 #121894  by Jerry1996x

This is not mine. Im just looking at it. The guy said it sounds good, but ya, its a big tear. Probably not worth the time. Thanks for the info!