#164160  by EMF

Hey Now,

Eric from CT here. Currently using a stock Guild Starfire II reissue with a mini Eden wtx 600, Alembic Sf-1 and Greenboy Cabs: either a 215 or 1561.

just wondering what y'all are using and particularly interested in mini heads and lightweight cabs

thanks
 #164207  by wisconsindead

You have an SF-2 or an F1-X?

I am currently bouncing between a couple combinations, partly due to not wanting to move rigs between rehearsal spots.

My favorite configuration currently is my 1967/68 Maple Guild Starfire II (neck pick up, pyramid flatwounds) > Alembic F-1X > Alembic SF-2 > Crown XLS1500 > fEARful 12/6

I also have an Eden WT400 > JBL K140 rig. I don't like that as much but there is still plenty of experimenting to be done.

I am really digging the tone sculpting abilities of the SF-2 which I got about two weeks ago.
NSP liked this
 #164239  by EMF

Sf-2, meant to correct that.
 #164265  by zambiland

I tend to change things around a lot, but the basic rig is:

'67 Starfire with Alembic Series II pickups/electronics/hardware->Alembic IN-2->Alembic F-2B (trying to get my SF-2 into the signal chain, but having weird noise problems)-> Crest Prolite 3.0-> Mike Arnopol Soundworks 210 Flex.

The cabinet is the most obscure part of the rig and it's amazing. Super high fidelity, reasonably light, and seemingly bullet proof (I've blown up every cabinet I've played at least once, except this one). For a 2x10, it can fill large stages, including outdoors. My drummer nicknamed it "Thor". Here's a review: http://epublish.panaprint.com/article/M ... ticle.html

I just got a Quilter Bass Block 800 for a some shows I'll be flying to. So far it seems pretty cool, but I won't have a chance to try it on a gig for another week. I might pair it with a Grace Design Felix for more comprehensive EQ and a more conventional DI. Or I might just bring along an F-1X, but that's bigger and heavier.

Other gear that gets used are a Sarno CTP, which sounds amazing, I like it better than the F-2B, but it's only mono, an F-1X, and various cabs with K140s. I also have an Eden WXT500 and a Navigator preamp. I find them flexible, but frustrating to get a good solid sound, whereas the Alembics and Sarno sound good no matter how you set them.

Other basses are an early 80s Modulus neck-through 6 string and a '68 Gibson EB-3 with Dark Star pickups, as well as various others not used for these gigs including an amazing David King fretless 5, Modulus Q6, and a custom 5 neck-through that I used for a long time playing funk.
Rusty the Scoob liked this
 #164282  by EMF

thanks for the replies

zambiland, I tried to look up the site where you got the custom speakers but didn't see any 210 cabs. do they still make them.

also how much does it weigh?
 #164287  by zambiland

I think they have discontinued that particular model. Its price when new was $1850 (I got mine for $700 on CL). However, they would make you one if you asked. It weighs about 55lbs (that's a guess).

But, don't judge their cabinets on how many drivers they have to compare them to standard cabinets. My 2x10 stands up to a 6x10, if not an 8x10 and certainly to my Sunn 200S with an Bag End 15 added. It really is a different kind of beast.

The best thing might be to call them up and talk about what you need and which cabs might best suit your purposes.
 #164378  by Rusty the Scoob

I'm an early 70's F2B > Crown XLS1000 > custom 2x15" with Faitals that are modded with aluminum dust caps. Probably switching it up soon with a bigger rack that'll house all that plus a REDDI v2 and a 32-band EQ so I can send both pre and post EQ signals to the board and still tweak the cab on stage without changing the FOH signals. I also have some Genz-Benz stuff that gets used a lot for local gigs, a Shuttle 9.0, an old 1x12" with Faital speaker and defeated tweeter, a pair of Nx2 2x12" cabs, etc.

Fall Tour setup: https://i.imgur.com/XUGxjSv.jpg

Basses are largely partscasters, 8 or so Fenders with Warmoth parts or vice versa, plus a modded Steinberger Spirit, modded early 90's Modulus Q6, Sadowsky V5, highly modded DeArmond Starfire, 1969 Gibson EB3 modded as a clone of Phil's, a P that's setup as a Jamerson clone, a G&L L2000 that'll leave stock for now, etc. I tinker with basses way more than rigs in general, with EMGs as my preferred pickups.

Edit: also a Palatino electric upright and Knilling fully-carved real upright from the 60's that plays even better.
Last edited by Rusty the Scoob on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zambiland liked this
 #164379  by zambiland

Have you thought about using a Meyer CP-10 EQ? Super clean and very low phase shift. I have one and it's a pretty amazing tool.
Rusty the Scoob liked this
 #164380  by Rusty the Scoob

Huh! No, I didn't even think of it. I just picked up a cheap DBX mono 32-band for now, I figure it'll be bypassed most of the time and I'll just yank out frequencies that resonate a drum or rattle something physical when needed. I'm not really that fussy about my stage sound as long as nothing weird is happening and the FOH is getting a really good signal. But that looks like a great solution and would also look really cool in the rack so as usual you have my wheels spinning...
 #164382  by zambiland

Let me know if you'd like to try mine out. I'm scaling down, so it doesn't get used much.
 #164395  by Rusty the Scoob

Hmm, now that's tempting! I do have room for it and maybe I could use it to dial in that perfect Kahn tone before it reaches my DI. The F2B is really noisy when used before the REDDI or any other DI I've tried.
 #164397  by zambiland

mkaufman wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:27 pm Anyone ever try an Ampeg SVT?
I have used them every now and then. Generally not a fan. I go for a super clean tone and the SVT always puts hair on the sound. For some things, it's kind of cool, but not really on point most of the time. I'd be more interested in the Super Bassman, or whatever it's called, if I were going to go for a big tube amp. Or a Mac.

And who wants to carry the d*mn things?! My Quilter weighs 4 pounds and has power for days. It can do the SVT thing by backing off the output gain and cranking the input, thanks to its dual limiters.