#169067  by Abide

Hey there,

Anyone seen this offering from Eastwood?

https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections ... tiger-bass

While not exactly awesome at either, I tend to play more bass than guitar. I have an Eastwood Wolf and was stoked to see them offer a "Dead" inspired bass. I've read good things about the Tiger guitar, so I'll probably take the plunge! :)
 #169071  by brbadg

I wanted someone to do this. However, now that I see the price tag, I’m thinking “That’s halfway to a Modulus”. I’m doing fine with my jazz bass. Just pick in the right spot over the front pickup and I’ve got the tones I want. Have fun!
 #169079  by TI4-1009

I wonder what Phil didn't like about his Irwin Tiger bass?
 #169084  by Abide

Interesting points, gentlemen!

Obviously, the aesthetics are the selling point! I was hoping for a cheaper price point, but Eastwood has done a nice job on their Dead inspired offerings.

As for the "baseball bat" neck, that would really bum me out...I'll have to check with Michael from Eastwood and check it out. The description says "basic C shape," but I'd like to make sure it's not too chunky.

My current bass is a Peavey with the skinniest neck ever!
brbadg liked this
 #171278  by zambiland

TI4-1009 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:09 pm I wonder what Phil didn't like about his Irwin Tiger bass?
Probably what the rest of us didn't like. It sounded pretty terrible. Not up to the standards of the Alembic, Starfire, or later Moduli.
 #172494  by thenuttyirishman

zambiland wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:23 pm
TI4-1009 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:09 pm I wonder what Phil didn't like about his Irwin Tiger bass?
Probably what the rest of us didn't like. It sounded pretty terrible. Not up to the standards of the Alembic, Starfire, or later Moduli.
I mean it certainly didnt have the tonal flexibility and detail of the alembics or moduli But terrible? the year or two he played it starting with the fall 79 tour tends to have some super aggressive and thick phil especially 79-mid 81 or so. Fall 79 he's usually pretty forward in the mix too and roaring.

Its admittedly a bit of a one trick pony as far as sound, and it certainly wasnt subtle with the twin p bass pickup setup.
 #172495  by zambiland

thenuttyirishman wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:11 pm
zambiland wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:23 pm
I mean it certainly didnt have the tonal flexibility and detail of the alembics or moduli But terrible? the year or two he played it starting with the fall 79 tour tends to have some super aggressive and thick phil especially 79-mid 81 or so. Fall 79 he's usually pretty forward in the mix too and roaring.

Its admittedly a bit of a one trick pony as far as sound, and it certainly wasnt subtle with the twin p bass pickup setup.
The real problem is that you couldn't really hear it distinctly in the room. It was a dull roar. It sounds different on the recordings, but at the shows I saw that bass, it just didn't sound very good. Maybe you saw some better ones.
 #174231  by petcat

Two words: "Neck Dive"

That is all. I have other 4 bangers that do it all better.

Still GAS for one though, just to have on the Dead rack. Missed one in my hood last week on CL for $900.