#162602  by pomaikai

Just finished putting together a downsized '77 style rig together for my daughter. An 18" JBL E-155-4 in a TL505 style cabinet tuned to 36 Hz, and a sealed 2x12 with 2 8 ohm fender professional series (gauss) for a 4 ohm load, super fat but clear and punchy at the same time, sounds really good! Using a stereo power amp you can dial in the balance between the two cabinets.

Apparently Phil used 2x18 and 4x12 in '77 along with some 15's so this approximates a half sized rig, and since we're not playing any stadiums in the near future should be fine for us.

I was going to use the 18" with a 2x10 on top, I built 2 2x10's with some JBL E110's, but the 2x10s sounded really good with guitar, and I really didn't care for the Gauss 12s with guitar, then I read about Phil's 1977 rig and it all fell into place, so I made the 2x10's open backed and now I have a mini Jerry rig too!
strumminsix, pablomago liked this
 #162623  by Jon S.

Sounds cool! Post a pic of it if you can.
 #162626  by pomaikai

I used 1/2 ply (trying to keep them light for my daughter) then burned and shellacked the cabinets. The amp is an old peavey rack bass rig which is basically tube pre with a fender passive tone stack followed by a second active stack and SS power amp. Also a TC unit in there for effects. The grills are recycled from some old JBL cabs. Sorry for the poor quality cell pic;
 #162840  by zambiland

I kind of went this way last Saturday. Alembic F-1X, Crest Prolite, K140 in a Bag End II, and 2 K140s in a Sunn 200S. Opening for the Avs. There are about 3-5000 people in front of us. The Meyer rig really helped with the bass sound!

Bigfoot Co. liked this
 #163049  by wisconsindead

zambiland wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:54 pm I kind of went this way last Saturday. Alembic F-1X, Crest Prolite, K140 in a Bag End II, and 2 K140s in a Sunn 200S. Opening for the Avs. There are about 3-5000 people in front of us. The Meyer rig really helped with the bass sound!

What are using the computer for?
 #163051  by zambiland

In ear monitors. Eventually I might try to set up a signal processing system, but that's in the future.

Latest addition: I'll be going back to my Alembic F-2B, paired with an Alembic IN-2 for routing and stereo DI. The IN-2 is a pretty awesome box. I've been looking for one for decades.
 #163640  by pomaikai

Is that a Guild? Nice setup!

I have a '68 EB2-D but I want to sell that one. Working on rebuilding an Alembic for her and eventually an F2B style pre with a few changes to go with it.