#89368  by SarnoMusicSolutions

I had the great fortune the other night to hold and play Bob's new custom strat with the graphite neck insert. Very light guitar at 6.5 lbs. I looked at the strings and they were flatwounds on the low E, A, & D, but the G, B, and high E were solid. When I went to look at the Pyramid light gauge set, they had a wound G string. I'm wondering what Bob's gauges are and especially that unwound G. Fairly stiff feel on that guitar.

Brad
 #89369  by Stevo123

I've been trying out the pyramids myself, ordered a couple sets a while back. The ones I'm using are .011-.048 with a wound G, but they also sell this gauge also with an unwound G if I remember right. I have to assume that's what he's using. They're defintely very stiff, it's hard to bend them more than a half step.
 #89370  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Yeah,

wound G's are pretty impossible to bend a whole step in my experience.

B
 #89395  by tcsned

he might also be just getting single plain Gs too. I know D'Addario makes up to a .026 plain string
 #89400  by Dozin

Pyramids Lights are a 7 string set. The G string comes wound and unwound. I'm sure he's using the plain string in the pack.
 #104883  by mkaufman

Chris - are you sure?

According to the Pyramid site, only the 12 gauge strings include a wound & unwound G-string, which would be their 'medium' strings, as opposed to 'light' strings.

http://www.pyramidstrings.com/st-guitar1.html

Which set does Bob use?

tnx,
mk
 #104885  by Dozin

I think we've now established that Weir gets his own custom sets
His G string is definitely not a flatwound
 #104889  by jeffm725

Many of the flatwound sets I have used include two G strings right in the pack. Wound and plain steel.
 #107727  by mkaufman

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I had the great fortune the other night to hold and play Bob's new custom strat with the graphite neck insert. Very light guitar at 6.5 lbs. I looked at the strings and they were flatwounds on the low E, A, & D, but the G, B, and high E were solid. When I went to look at the Pyramid light gauge set, they had a wound G string. I'm wondering what Bob's gauges are and especially that unwound G. Fairly stiff feel on that guitar.

Brad
"graphic neck insert" - was this custom made or can one purchase this type of neck?

mk
 #107729  by strumminsix

mkaufman wrote:
SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I had the great fortune the other night to hold and play Bob's new custom strat with the graphite neck insert. Very light guitar at 6.5 lbs. I looked at the strings and they were flatwounds on the low E, A, & D, but the G, B, and high E were solid. When I went to look at the Pyramid light gauge set, they had a wound G string. I'm wondering what Bob's gauges are and especially that unwound G. Fairly stiff feel on that guitar.

Brad
"graphic neck insert" - was this custom made or can one purchase this type of neck?

mk
It's a Hoeg. He does those.
 #107731  by Dozin

Yes he custom made the neck. It's the same neck on the pink guitar now too.