#173790  by strumminsix

NeilG1 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:35 pm Hi all
Listening to this ‘73 show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_oTddraTDQ&t=3165s

If you put it on just past 1:55:00 you’ll hear the start of here comes sunshine.
What’s Bobby using there? I thought phaser, but not sure they existed in 73.
Is it a Leslie?
Thanks!
Good ear. I'm not sure. I've never heard him using a Leslie but it has a similar vibe.
Maybe fender vibrato high speed, low intensity with a cocked wah?
NeilG1 liked this
 #173791  by NeilG1

Certainly possible. I can make a similar sound with the trem on my blackface vibro champ. But I don’t think this sounds like tremolo. Vibrato in the amp could be it for sure.
Sounds amazing though. Watery and summer sunset vibes
 #173797  by strumminsix

NeilG1 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:46 pm Certainly possible. I can make a similar sound with the trem on my blackface vibro champ. But I don’t think this sounds like tremolo. Vibrato in the amp could be it for sure.
Sounds amazing though. Watery and summer sunset vibes
Sorry, thinking amp tremolo/vibrato - always forget which Fender calls it!!! lol!

I'm thinking whatever is in the amp + cocked/fixed wah.

But either way, you stumbled on a very unique effects usage of Bobby that I've never heard before and that's pretty awesome cuz I'm a Bobby nut!
 #173798  by NeilG1

Cool! Glad I found it. Immediately noticed it as something unique.
Thanks for the help - now I’ve gotta play with my amp trem and see how it sounds.
Strymon Flint gonna come out too ;)
strumminsix liked this
 #173806  by Slewfoot2000

I’ve always loved this effect. So subtle yet effective…I actually reached out to several pedal makers with the email below seeing if they could make it. Generally got the “interesting and we’ll look into it” response, but nothing concrete yet. Hopefully someone will recreate it!

PS - I realize that the effect Jerry is doing in the WRS is actually his wah-wah, but included it for simplicity purposes as it’s a clear example of the same type of effect.

“So I’ve been hunting around for a specific sound that I can’t seem to find anywhere on the market. It is essentially the sound found on the guitars in the two songs below:

https://archive.org/details/gd1973-02-1 ... shine.flac – here you can hear the effect on Bob Weir’s rhythm guitar at the beginning

https://archive.org/details/gd1974-06-2 ... Suite.flac - here you can hear the effect starting at timestamp 20:30 with Jerry Garcia’s lead guitar

I believe they are using the famous Eventide PS101 Phaser rack mounted unit which came out in the early 70’s. I know Bob was using it in 1973 and imagine Jerry used it here as well.

Essentially, the effect sounds like just the puddle / ripple effect of a phaser, but without any of the actual swooshing / uni-vibe character to it. Have you come across anything like that before? Things like an original EH Small Stone seem to come close, but have yet to hear something with that warmth combined with a true ripple / puddle effect.”
NeilG1 liked this
 #173949  by canam116

The new Eventide H90 has the Instant Phaser effect loaded in. Not cheap though....$899.
 #173953  by Slewfoot2000

canam116 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:02 pm The new Eventide H90 has the Instant Phaser effect loaded in. Not cheap though....$899.
I love how in the videos they say that even though it’s powerful, it’s not that complicated…uhhh, I respectfully disagree with that!