#157231  by gratefulfork

Hi folks, I'm being offered an Ibanez UE 400 (the first generation model with the 808 style footswitch, distortion not overdrive, and mono output) and want some opinions. I've done some digging around the internet and there seem to be some fairly polarized opinions on the distortion specifically - some love it some hate it. What do you think? for context, I don't play much heavier than Allman style blues and am somewhat happy with my Ts-9 reissue. I'm more looking for advice on the unit in general rather than its Weir-ness if you know what I mean. Thanks!
 #157232  by caspersvapors

What effects on the ue 400 are you most interested in?

Asking because Ibanez also made several analog multi fx pedals around the same time that are also worth looking into

Ibanez ue 300 - compressor, tube screamer, chorus
Ibanez ue 305 - compressor, delay, chorus
Ibanez ue 305b? - comp, env. Filter, chorus/flange.

Ive owned all 3 at one point and now just have the 300 and 305. Love em. I ended up selling the 305b because it is intended for bass and couldnt the env filter to trigger properly with guitar. Best part is these units are still fairly reasonable used
 #157233  by gratefulfork

Hey caspersvapers, thanks for getting back to me. Honestly, the types of effects in the 400 are all ones I use frequently. Have you tried the distortion model? I've heard that it's more like a Boss Ds-1 from the era than a ts808, but don't really know what that sounds like.
 #157234  by gratefulfork

TBH the fact that it's rackmount is appealing to me as well. I've been thinking of setting up rack for a while now