#173072  by Darkstar860

I took out my HRD head today and had it going thu my JBL e-120 2x12 cab. With the RCA tubes and some of the mods ive done this amp sounds saweet. Has its own thing going on, would take it with me as a back up knowing itd be able to do what I need it to do tone wise. Its def not a Twin by any means, but with the right mods done its pretty sweet. Too bad out of the box these dont sound like this. The one I have is USA made, it was originally a 2x12 combo. I still replaced just about everything in it when I did the mods and what not years ago, but the newer ones use really cheap stuff. So if ya get a new one or a used one, save yourself the future hassle and just bring it in to a tech and have him take care of it right away.
wleeds liked this
 #175318  by wleeds

Darkstar860 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:15 pm I took out my HRD head today and had it going thu my JBL e-120 2x12 cab. With the RCA tubes and some of the mods ive done this amp sounds saweet. Has its own thing going on, would take it with me as a back up knowing itd be able to do what I need it to do tone wise. Its def not a Twin by any means, but with the right mods done its pretty sweet. Too bad out of the box these dont sound like this. The one I have is USA made, it was originally a 2x12 combo. I still replaced just about everything in it when I did the mods and what not years ago, but the newer ones use really cheap stuff. So if ya get a new one or a used one, save yourself the future hassle and just bring it in to a tech and have him take care of it right away.

old thread I know....what mods did you do?
 #175326  by Darkstar860

Plug into the FX loop input and skip the preamp. Thats how i was able to get the snap i needed to do Jerry stuff. I really have a hate and love relationship with these amps.
 #175327  by Darkstar860

Theres a mod called the TWIN mod. Its easy and just look it up and if your plugging directly into the input, this will give your mids a MUCH nicer tone than stock. Requires very little work. A small peice of wire soldered to the back of the mid pot. Without doing this, this amp will drive ya wild trying to get that tone.
 #175328  by Searing75

The Frommel mods are great for that amp. Also, better tubes, properly biased, and a speaker upgrade. JBL’s or the EV12L. Stock, it sounds like bass heavy cardboard crap.
Darkstar860 liked this