#47902  by strumminsix

I've seen alot of talk here about pickup upgrades, and getting Jerry sounds, and noisy singles, needing both singles and duals, etc.

I'd suggest looking into this:
http://www.prsguitars.com/513/index.html
http://www.prsguitars.com/513/reviews/vg_513_review.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_dfZc-rQ3s

Went to my local GC and they didn't have one.

I know nothing more than what you read and hear on line.

However, my interest is greatly piqued.

Love the thin and think humbuckers!

#47918  by Dozin

really sweet looking guitar and nice functionality.

However, what's up with that neck joint? Looks awkward and uncomfortable

#47919  by strumminsix

Didn't catch that at first, Dozin. Odd indeed.
However that's up at like the 18th fret or so I think.

#47920  by Emoto

$3045.00 at GC. How many should I buy? :?

#47926  by Tennessee Jedi

$3045.00 at GC. How many should I buy?
Smash and Grab baby !
Nice guitars ...
I would live to own a PRS someday.
Right now I'm $3000 short ...
:smile:

#47929  by Emoto

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
$3045.00 at GC. How many should I buy?
Smash and Grab baby !
Nice guitars ...
I would live to own a PRS someday.
Right now I'm $3000 short ...
:smile:
Heh. I hear you.

This may make you feel better. I played on once years ago at Wurlizer Music in Boston (they may be gone now, I dunno) and, frankly, it didn't really feel very good. I didn't think the frets were well dressed and the action wasn't anything special. I had been lusting for a PRS until that moment. Sure, individual guitars vary, and a good tech could maybe set it up better, but I really wasn't impressed. Kind of a bummer. I am sure there must be some really nice PRS guitars out there, but the single one I played wasn't one of them...

#47934  by tigerstrat

I like how they dumbed-down parallel and series humbucking to "clear humbucking" and "heavy humbucking".

#47941  by strumminsix

Are you being serious, Tom? Cuz I actually liked how they worded it since I can never remember which type of wiring does what!

Something I totally dug is how when the rep demo'd the guitar he started with a clean semi-dry tone. Too many demos are either gritty or gainy or something that masks what the instrument really sounds like.

#47946  by tigerstrat

[quote="strumminsix"]Are you being serious, Tom? Cuz I actually liked how they worded it since I can never remember which type of wiring does what![quote]

Semi. I suppose it does help cut through the jargon a bit; I've never seen parallel/series referenced as such.

#48267  by Jon S.

Here's my '86 Custom. Walked into a shop 22 years ago looking for a LP, tried 'em all, then the Custom, bought the Custom. This was years before the PRS hype. At the time, I'd never even heard of 'em. Neither had any of my friends. They thought I was nuts to blow my hard-earned, long-saved LP bucks on some newfangled guitar no one had ever heard of before. Turned out to be one of my best musical gear decisions ever. Sometimes you just have to trust your ears and self.

The neck joints on the earlier models are smaller. That led, on some guitars, to "dead spots." PRSH redesigned the neck joint to address this issue. I've played plenty of later PRSi with the larger joints. Trust me on this: don't follow your eyeballs on this one, play the guitars. They're ergodynamically sound.

PRSi seem to generate strong emotions in guitarists. Many love 'em, just as many hate 'em. The most common criticism I hear is, "They're neither fish nor fowl - neither Gibson nor Fender." Well hello - that's right. Other people love the guitars but hate the stock PUPs. They do have a middiness to them. PRSH plays pretty high-gain stuff. His stock PUPs cut like a hot knife through butter with high gain amps. To my ears, there are better choices for cleaner tones. Some of these choices are quite inexpensive, Duncan '59s, for example, excel in many PRSi.

#48483  by Pete B.

Jon S. Are the two knobs on your guitar actually stacked vol/tone knobs?...(is that a coil tap switch, too?).
As a long time Les Paul owner/player (although I am "between" Les Pauls right now), I often find similar guitars that I like (yours looks great, btw), but struggle with the lack of independant vol/tone knobs for each pickup.
My most used Les Paul setting is with both pickups on, with the bridge pickup at 100% vol, and the neck pickup at about 85% volume.

I have searched out this Blend Pot (see link below), that I thought would be a direct replacement for the 3-way pickup selector on guitars with two pickups but only one vol and tone knob, but haven't tried on yet. Anybody ever tried on of these blend pots?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... ml#details

As I contune to casually look for my next Les Paul-esque guit, I went and played this one (again) for about an hour last week:
http://www.minarikguitars.com/images/pr ... rburst.jpg

I like the Jerry cut-a-ways, but not really a fan of gold hardware, and the neck is a bit busy for me.
I've seen them for $799 new though, and the quality seems higher to me than Epiphone Les Pauls/SG's, and even Gibson LP Specials and SG's in that same price point.