#173569  by Phrygian

I don't know what Jerry was using for reverb in the 70s but I evaluated reverb pedals about a year ago. I bought a True Spring reverb pedal because of its excellent drip for surf tunes. Besides the tank mode, it has a short and a long spring mode. And as a bonus, it has three tremolo modes. Very versatile!
 #173574  by TI4-1009

Phrygian wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:27 am I don't know what Jerry was using for reverb in the 70s
You can be sure it wasn't a pedal, and you can be sure it was Fender.
 #173576  by Darkstar860

Some of you may laugh, but my favorite Reverb (pedal) is my Danelectro Spring King. Its a real spring reverb unit. Powered by a 9v battery or adaptor. Has 3 knobs on it. My buddy bought me one of these a LONG time ago. Never comes off my board. I have tried a lot of digital reverb units and i use to own quite a few, but real spring reverb to my ears is more pleasing. I am not sure if they make the spring king anymore, but i had seen them for as low as $90 a few years ago. I use mine thru my SMS CTP. The reverb on the SMS is ok, but i like real spring reverb. I feel like real springs connect with the vibration at whatever venue your playing. Like the reverb sounds like its suppose to be there in that room. Ya kno. Digital cannot do that.

Also i opened mine up and it is very well made, its not a toy like some of Danelectro other gear is. Ive started to see more and more people using these as well.
TI4-1009 liked this
 #173588  by Slewfoot2000

Agree that in the early days (60's - 80's) Jerry must have used on the reverb on the Twin pre-amp. Never heard anything about any reverb units until the 90's when he got a larger rack.

I also have True Spring which is great bang for the buck...curious about that Danelectro!
 #173593  by TI4-1009

Darkstar860 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:20 pm I am not sure if they make the spring king anymore, but i had seen them for as low as $90 a few years ago.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lsrc=aw.ds
 #173594  by Darkstar860

^ Nice there it is. As i said ive been using mine for awhile and the pedal is great. If you dont want to spend a ton of $ and get a pretty good product here it is. I think a lot of folks either have not tried it or did not even know about it. Id def try one out. I have mine last in my effect pedals (I dont use a Delay anymore). With my SMS CTP, i use a hint of the digital reverb in it with this Spring King. These go really good together. :-)

I also saw people Mod these

https://www.reddit.com/r/guitarpedals/c ... od_advice/

I cut pin 15 on the IC chip and it disables the delay part that people dont like. So now its just a straight up reverb. But i would try the pedal stock, you may like the delay. But i cut pin 15, but if i wanted to put it back to stock its very very simple. THe mod link above gives you controls over the IC chip so you can adjust the delay. But I did not try that.

Some people like the delay chip in the SK, but i just wanted straight reverb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAg4EHV ... nel=TVJoie

This guy added pots to his to control the delay
 #173597  by Darkstar860

Yeah it just crashes the reverb, ive never used it lol. I dont feel comfortable kicking a spring reverb unit haha. I did open it open and mod it and this one has 3 springs in the reverb. Ive seen some that only had a 2 spring reverb. Its a Belton reverb unit.

Ive been designing a tube driven spring reverb unit for a few years that I may finally put together. Still debating a few different parts to use. But hopefully this fall ill get it done and ill post some pics along the way. :-) Ive always wanted to build one.