#173272  by Darkstar860

I recently got a gift from a friend, a Octave Divider. I was curious if this should be before or after the Mu-Tron ? Or should this pedal be at the end of the chain of pedals ?

Thanks

My current order of pedals

Boss TU-2>BBE Boost>Mu-Tron>Nux Klon>DOD 250>GL Drive>Delay>Reverb

Where to put the Divider ? Also Ive always put my drive pedals after the Mutron, should I put the drives before ? Im just second guessing my setup after seeing a few other peoples boards recently.

My buddy also gave me a TS9DLX (I used one for over 10 years and regret getting rid of it) and a Boss OD-3 as well.
 #173274  by lbpesq

I always wondered how important order of placement is if you are not using more than one of the subject pedals at the same time. I guess the question I would pose is this: Are you going to be using the envelope and the octave pedal at the same time? If not, does it really matter which order they are in, relative to each other?

Bill, tgo
 #173276  by Darkstar860

Yeah im gonna DEF be using both the Divider and Mu-Tron at the same time during certain songs. This Divider is amazing, its like Jerry in a box. :-)

If you run your Mu-Tron after certain pedals it doesnt work well imho. Also if your delay is at the beginning of your setup itll sound terrible. It does matter what order you have them in. But you are right, it depends when you are using certain pedals together. If others are off etc then yes it doesnt matter. But if your using certain pedals together, they def need to be in a certain order. Time based effects need to be last in the chain i know that. I just cant remember the rest of the order haha.

Thanks ;-)
 #173278  by wabisabied

I don’t use an octave divider, nor do I have a Mu-Tron. But I’ve used a couple of envelope filters, and in my limited experience, it’s the most finicky type of pedal I’ve used. Needs a focused, well defined tone, combined with just enough volume, to push past the envelope without going too far and getting harsh. For that reason I keep it in front of anything that does much more than just boost signal. It sits behind an always on boost, then maybe gets colored by whatever's later in the chain.

My approach would be to put the Divider after the EF, so it essentially divides the tone coming out of the EF, rather than trying to get an EF effect from two separate octaves at the same time. Putting the EF after the Divider might make for something interesting, but I doubt it will be very Jerry.

Of course this is all just in theory and could be completely wrong for your playing and rig.
Jon S. liked this
 #173279  by Darkstar860

I set it up like this

TU-2>Boost>Mutron>Divider>NUX Klon>DOD 250>GL Drive>Delay>Reverb