#173193  by Jon S.

I recently assembled a 2nd pedalboard to compliment my 1st board. There are Micro-Tron IVs in both.

On my original board, preceded only by a always-buffered SMS Doozy Boost, the Micro-Tron IV sounds kick ass.

On my new second board, using the same guitar and preceded first by a always buffered Boss TU-2 and then by a true bypass Fulltone Fatboost V1, the Micro-Tron IV sounds like, well, just plain ass.

On the 2nd board, no adjustments to either the Fatboost or the Micro-Tron IV seem to help much other than turning off the Fatboost completely. Then, with adjustments to the Micro-Tron IV's controls, I can get it to sound good (though not at good as when preceded by the SMS Doozy Boost in the first board).

Obviously, I need to experiment further with different combinations and order of effects to determine whether one or both of the pedals in the 2nd board precededing the Mu-Tron IV is screwing up its sound or if there's possibly something amiss with the 2nd Micro-Tron itself.

But I thought I'd start by asking whether anyone has any other thoughts, suggestions, or experiences relevant to the issue.

Thanks.
 #173194  by Slewfoot2000

Hmmm...you may have just sold me on the Doozy Boost! :^)

But in all seriousness, I'm not the expert on these situations, but one question did come to mind: did you try swapping the Micro-Trons to confirm that the one on the second board isn't having an issue? Imagine you did, but thought I'd throw that out there.
bzbz liked this
 #173197  by Jon S.

I haven’t swapped them yet.
 #173198  by Darkstar860

Yeah swap them. If it indeed is the pedal, it could be the internal trip pot. But read up on how to properly adjust that before messing it. Also one last thing to check (I had this happen), one of my mini toggles had broken. but i didnt realize it because it clicked up and down. Totally made the pedal sound lifeless. The pedal went from sounding great to wtf lol. Either way its a easy fix.

Hope this helps
 #173199  by Jon S.

Darkstar860 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:56 pm Yeah swap them. If it indeed is the pedal, it could be the internal trip pot. But read up on how to properly adjust that before messing it. Also one last thing to check (I had this happen), one of my mini toggles had broken. but i didnt realize it because it clicked up and down. Totally made the pedal sound lifeless. The pedal went from sounding great to wtf lol. Either way its a easy fix.

Hope this helps
It does, thanks so much for your advice.
 #173203  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:05 pm So, what turned out to be the issue, Jon? Inquiring minds want to know!

Bill, tgo
Sorry, I have so many balls in the air right now that I haven't gotten back to this issue yet and may not until the weekend.

BTW, I just shipped my FYD JG Special Reverb combo to my new SOCAL second residence and will be bringing several guitars and second pedalboard with me when the missus and I drive there in October. Hope we'll jam sometime!
 #173204  by Jon S.

UPDATE: I pulled the new M-T IV from its pedalboard and confirmed that it is indeed defective. I've emailed Mu-Tron to request repair or replacement (not a refund - all I want is working pedal!)
 #173205  by Darkstar860

Curious what was wrong with it. Wouldnt surprise me if it was one of the little switches. That is the only complaint with the microtron I have, those switches are delicate and they are soldered directly to the 2nd PC board. When mine broke I had to get a new PC board from them and install it. Now I am really really careful with it. On the other hand my Q-Tron still works 20+ years and about 1000 shows later. My Tru-Tron i have not had any issues with, but i dont bring that on the road anymore, that was why I got the mini was the price and also it takes up zero space compared to the Q or the Tru.
Jon S. liked this
 #175145  by Darkstar860

My buddy bought a Micro Tron IV and it sounded off. We eventually compared it to mine and found the inner trim pots were WAY off from mine. Mine nails the tone. His was barely getting there. Adjusted the inner pots and matched them to mine and problem solved. He bought it new, so it was weird (when i bought mine new) to see such a difference with the pots inside the unit.

I use in front of mine a BBE Boosta Grande (clean boost) and that nails what im after without a volume pedal. Also you can put a expression pedal into the CV in and have the adaptor to have the out go to the board and it works great at controlling the oomph of the MicroTron IV.

Anywhoo just babbling but i thought id throw that out there. I find having the right boost in front of the Micro-Tron is the way to go. But if its a boost that pushes too hard, you lose the clarity .
 #175164  by Cumtax

one thing I have always wondered about is just how much a boost is needed for microtron, since there is already a gain knob on the pedal that serves precisely the same purpose. I would find a boost necessary if the pedal was set for a humbucker guitar, then you would need that extra kick to simulate the hb signal when using a single
 #175170  by Darkstar860

I use a BBE Boosta Grande. I have it about 11am on the dial. It puts just enough oomph in to get that tone. I can nail the live versions of any Jerry tune with this effect just about and it plays and sounds correctly all across the FB. If you dont get the right clean, you wont get the good results. I have my boost right before the Micro-Tron (and i did this with my Mutron and Trutron etc). All with good results.

But where you set the knob on the boost is different with different pickups. Like my Wolf isnt as loud as my Bean. So i marked 2 dots on the pedal where the Bean needs to be set and one where the Wolf needs to be set.