#173144  by Slewfoot2000

Hi Gang,

I hope all is well. I stumbled across this new pick online and figured it was worth a shot. I must say, they are easily my new favorite. They are based off the original Adamas graphite pick that Jerry used where they did a lot of research into the recipe of those. I have some of the original Adamas (NOS) ones plus the Dunlop reissues and for my tastes these new ones are better than either for several reasons:

1) They sound clearer than the others. They offer more definition in tone to my ears. They almost seem to make the music a touch brighter and louder than any other pick. You can hear the resonance and decay of each note better.

2) They have better grip than the others. The writing is raised up a bit more on these adding more grit.

3) They are a slight bit thicker than the other Adamas ones which I like.

4) They sell by the Baker's Dozen!

On acoustic they are about the same as the originals, but it's on electric where they really take on an extra dimension.

Photo and link below for those that are interested...I just restocked as I saw that they are currently on sale...just wanted to pass along the good word!

https://rockymountainslides.com/product ... tar-picks/

#173148  by Slewfoot2000

lbpesq wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:56 pm Ever checked out Telefunken picks? Some really nice graphite picks.

Bill, tgo
I tried out a slimmer 1mm Telefunken which didn't do it for me, but might give the thicker ones a shot at some point to compare. Thanks for the reminder!
 #173153  by Jon S.

I added the new picks to my cart and went to check out. Then I learned that the seller would be adding $2 to my order - in addition to the price for the picks per se AND the cost of shipping - for "Handling." Well, that handled me right out of my purchase. Yes, it's only $2. Yes, if the picks had been $2 more expensive to start with, I'd likely still have bought them. But what they tried to do here sneaking in the extra charge right at the end and just before payment smacked to me of sleeziness. I've not encountered this with any other gear seller. I'll stick with my existing robust stash of Adamas and Telefunkin picks.
 #173154  by Slewfoot2000

Jon S. wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:36 am I added the new picks to my cart and went to check out. Then I learned that the seller would be adding $2 to my order - in addition to the price for the picks per se AND the cost of shipping - for "Handling." Well, that handled me right out of my purchase. Yes, it's only $2. Yes, if the picks had been $2 more expensive to start with, I'd likely still have bought them. But what they tried to do here sneaking in the extra charge right at the end and just before payment smacked to me of sleeziness. I've not encountered this with any other gear seller. I'll stick with my existing robust stash of Adamas and Telefunkin picks.
Doh! Sorry about that. Been seeing that through many businesses these days. That doesn't make it right though...shoot me a PM and I'll send one out to you.
 #173155  by Jon S.

Slewfoot2000 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:33 pmDoh! Sorry about that. Been seeing that through many businesses these days. That doesn't make it right though...shoot me a PM and I'll send one out to you.
[EDIT: My PM to you seems to be stuck in my outbox. If it isn't sent to you by tonight we'll try another way.]

Most kind of you. Will PM you now. In return, may I send you one of my Telefunken picks to try? If yes, reply via PM with your snail mail address.
 #173156  by Jon S.

EDIT: My message was finally sent! :-?
Last edited by Jon S. on Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #173157  by TI4-1009

Jon S. wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:33 am My message to you is still stuck in my outbox. In the past, this has occurred with the recipient's inbox was already full, but it's also happened for no apparent reasons at all. Oh well ...
It's Jerry from the other side saying "It's all in the hands." :lol:
 #173158  by Jon S.

TI4-1009 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:40 am It's Jerry from the other side saying "It's all in the hands." :lol:
:lol: :musicsmile:
bzbz liked this
 #173159  by Jon S.

Your Telefunken is on its way. When I receive my RMSC, we can compare notes!
 #173171  by Jon S.

Thanks again, Slewfoot2000, for mailing me an example of the new pick. With respect to all conflicting options - for that's all we can offer is our opinions - I find the new pick to be slightly thinner than its Telefunken and Adamas competitors, leading me to believe that it's not a true 2 mm. I also find its tone to be slight thinner and less desirable than either of the other two. Just my personal opinion. No worries if others come out differently.
 #173172  by Slewfoot2000

Now that's interesting! Myself and others have actually found it a touch thicker than those other ones. It is technically 2.5mm according to their site. It tapers to a 2mm at the edges.

Between the 4 graphite picks that I have now, I find the following:

Telfunken - the brightest of the 4. It's the closest to the tone of my vintage Fender Extra Heavy picks. Should be especially nice for my acoustic playing. Thanks JS for the ability to check it out!

Dunlop Adamas - very close to the originals although the feel is a touch lighter and the tone a bit brighter.

Original Adamas - glad I have some of these as great feel and balanced tone.

Piglet - also close to the originals although I prefer the feel of these a touch more and for whatever reason they seem to have a touch more electric resonance than the others.

I've tried to my best to do these blind mixing them up and then grabbing at random.

But regardless of that, it's all about our own gear, playing style and ears. None of us are right or wrong in situations like this as all personal preference. Always nice to have options!
 #173176  by Jon S.

I just rechecked the two picks and must modify my statement on their relative thickness. I though I'd take a photo of the two to post to show the difference but when I lined them up to it, they look the same. Not sure why the Telefunken felt thicker to me yesterday. Based on this visual revisiting, I'll revisit their tonal qualities, too. What I really need to do is a blind test of the two!
 #173571  by samterk1

Question for someone with real graphite Adamas picks (or even these new ones) – 
I've just received a few packs of Dunlop Adamas 15R picks that I bought from Amazon. Now, I've never used a real graphite pick, but to my touch I would have guessed that these are made of plastic... save for the word "Graphite" printed on the surface :wink: ...

Can you instantly tell the difference of a graphite vs. plastic pick just by touch?

Bonus: If you have a precise scale for weight ( :rasta: ) and can tell me how much your real graphite Adamas pick weighs?

~TIA~
 #173572  by samterk1

samterk1 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:26 am Question for someone with real graphite Adamas picks (or even these new ones) – 
Update to answer my own question: :oops: :biggrin: touching plastic to the end of a guitar cable doesn't make a buzz, while touching one of these picks to a guitar cable does makes a buzz

science
Jon S. liked this