#173122  by Darkstar860

I have recapped (C25-28) the amp so far with F&T caps.
Replaced C1 and C4.
Removed C3 (Bright cap)
Twin Mod on the Mid pot
MOD reverb pan
Jensen C12K speaker
Switch Craft jacks
Fender tilt legs (Awesome !!! wish they came stock with these)

Tubes:
V1 JJ Gold 12AX7
V2 JJ Red 12AX7
V3 JJ Red 12AY7 <---- REALLY REALLY nice in this spot
JJ Red EL-84s

Next is 27k on R52 to cool the bias down somewhat.

Any other mods you guys have done ?

I get a nice Jerry tone out of these 2 Blues Jrs i modded. :-)
 #173128  by Jon S.

An amp tech friend of mine once told me, "The best mod to a Deluxe Reverb is to sell it and buy a Vibrolux Reverb."

Yes, I know a BJ isn't a DR, but in both cases, people are usually after more clean headroom and tighter bass response (in the case of the BJ, they also want to "de-boxify" it). All of these can be achieved with a 2X6L6 amp in a bigger, more toneful combo enclosure.

This being said, if you still basically dig your BJ, my #1 further recommendation would be to consider an upgraded aftermarket cab.
 #173129  by Darkstar860

I like the Blues Jr for what i use it for and each mod has increased that. Its a fun amp to tinker with ;-) Its def a nice amp for small jam sessions and bars. But too many people are expecting too much with these mods. I see it as I like the base of the amp, can I tweak it a little and get a little more ? Yes I can hehe. Pretty soon ill have a head cab for mine, being able to plug into a different larger cab makes all the difference. But yeah you wont see me playing a festival stage with a Blues Jr lol
 #173130  by Jon S.

Darkstar860 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:58 pm I like the Blues Jr for what i use it for
Then you are the perfect candidate to consider the reasonably available mods. Consider, among them:

https://www.mojotone.com/search?keyword ... net&page=1
 #173132  by Darkstar860

I have quite a few cabs laying around I hadnt been using.

Got Twin 2x12 cab with Two Rock speakers, Carvin 2x12 w/ British Series speakers, Hot Rod 2x12 no speakers currently and a 1x12 Vintage 30. So I have options once its a head. Well I have been plugging it into my cabs, but itll be easier once its in a head form. Pretty amazing how different the amp sounds outside its combo shell. But I like the speaker I have in the combo cab right now, so that will end up in one of the cabs eventually. :-)

I did plug the amp into my 2x12 cab with JBL e-120s but the Jr could not push those JBLs and it sounded ehhhh not good.
 #173161  by wleeds

Darkstar860 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:40 am I have recapped (C25-28) the amp so far with F&T caps.
Replaced C1 and C4.
Removed C3 (Bright cap)
Twin Mod on the Mid pot
MOD reverb pan
Jensen C12K speaker
Switch Craft jacks
Fender tilt legs (Awesome !!! wish they came stock with these)

Tubes:
V1 JJ Gold 12AX7
V2 JJ Red 12AX7
V3 JJ Red 12AY7 <---- REALLY REALLY nice in this spot
JJ Red EL-84s

Next is 27k on R52 to cool the bias down somewhat.

Any other mods you guys have done ?

I get a nice Jerry tone out of these 2 Blues Jrs i modded. :-)
any clips?