#173104  by Cumtax

Hello guys, so this morning the octavider+ arrived and I could use some help with the signal chain. I'm new to pedalboard building so any tips with arrangements and cabling would be gold.

At the moment I came up with this setup

Wilson Colourful clone wah > polytune buffered > boost of the dead > octavider+ > moonshine (ts clone) > earth drive > mutron > retrovibe (univibe) > ventris (reverb) > chorus.

I play through a strat going into a twin and of course, I don't have an Obel. Because of that, I had to arrange the pedals differently and the result is a merge of different information I gathered around. For example, octavider instructions said to put it first on the chain, while most Jerry players put it after the envelope filter. I also don't play exclusively dead stuff so the upper section of the pedalboard is more for other things - for example, my Ventris has a quadraverbish setting to stack up with the chorus for 90s shoegaze. Also, I swapped the "phaser" with a univibe as prefer it as a modulation.

Since my board is not purely Jerry I tried to follow John Mayer's D&C2021 signal chain. I saw that Jerry, with OBEL, used mutron > phaser > octavider, but I guess with OBEL you have to think about your chain differently.

Again, since I'm new to this and have 0 experience and references, I'd be glad to take your input and experiment a bit to see if I can come up with an optimal chain.

I can also provide audio clips if needed

#173107  by lbpesq

You can essentially do the OBEL thing without an OBEL equipped guitar by keeping your guitar volume on “10” and placing a volume pedal last in your chain. That way the pedals always see the same, full, signal. I prefer to do it this way as it allows me to play wireless as opposed to the double tether required for an OBEL guitar.

Bill, tgo
Jon S. liked this
 #173108  by OsamaKeefe

The most important piece of advice I would give to you, as just about everyone else will tell you, is arrange things in a way so it sounds best to what you'd want. With that said, there are some unofficial "rules" for pedal placement that really deal with where to put them in relation to others as to not muddle up certain effects. Like putting delay before or after a drive.. you'll find one of those options doesn't sound too good.

As far as the pedals you have, I think you've got a good start, and I remember using Mayer's D&C pedalboard for inspiration, so you're on the right path there. The octave pedal and Mutron In general work better towards the start of the chain, although their placement in relation to each other will depend on what you like. I would also play around with the Mutron and the moonshine - try different placements of the Mutron around it. You could try Mutron before both drives, or you could place the Mutron between the Moonshine and Earth Drive.

For modulation and time, basically as long as it is after the drives (unless you're going for THAT sound) you'll be ok. This is stuff I've learned in building a Jerry + everything else board, and of course YMMV, but you have a good start.
 #173110  by Cumtax

OsamaKeefe wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:37 am As far as the pedals you have, I think you've got a good start, and I remember using Mayer's D&C pedalboard for inspiration, so you're on the right path there. The octave pedal and Mutron In general work better towards the start of the chain, although their placement in relation to each other will depend on what you like. I would also play around with the Mutron and the moonshine - try different placements of the Mutron around it. You could try Mutron before both drives, or you could place the Mutron between the Moonshine and Earth Drive.

I should definitely experiment with that. I saw a video from jacksnax the other day and he's driving that mutron like crazy with an emulated TS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heNLDJosTaU&t=777s . I can't seem to achieve that kind of tone with moonshine.