#172912  by Darkstar860

Curious what type of Nut you guys like on your guitars.

I have 3 Wolf guitars with Brass nuts, but the 4th newest one I got I decided to use Bone. I notice the highs with the bone nut are a little less. Not sure what I like better, but I like having one of the guitars having something different.
 #172913  by Jon S.

Unless you took the same guitar, recorded it first with a bone nut and then with a brass nut, and conducted an audio spectrum analysis on the clips to compare and contrast them, given all of the other overwhelming-to-the nut differences between all guitars (even of the same make and model), I see no way to conclude anything about the nuts' guitar-to-guitar tonal influences. (Sorry to perhaps be a killjoy on this issue but it seems to me this is the bottom line).
 #172914  by strumminsix

IMO when talking about guitar nuts you're best served by thinking function and tone.

I'd wager the great builders often went to brass nuts for function first then tone second. Once pitched and slotted properly they'll last a lifetime.

People say brass nuts are brighter. I can see that. But wouldn't that only be for the open strings?
 #172915  by bzbz

Struminsix has it right - the nut is only "in play" with open strings!
TI4-1009 liked this
 #172916  by lbpesq

One advantage of a brass nut I’ve heard, ( I’m not agreeing or disagreeing, but it does make sense to me), is that it makes open strings sound more similar to fretted strings since they are now both anchored on metal. My favorite nuts are the brass ones on my Alembics and metal one on my Bond Electraglide as these are height adjustable with little screws. On my builds I tend to make my own nuts from old bone blanks.

Bill, tgo