#172823  by Jon S.

Make sure the ultra linear TR circuit is for you before you buy this amp.
 #172825  by Chocol8

In 1977, Fender updated the Twin Reverb and other amps to an ultra linear output transformer and at the same time they boosted the output to 135 watts. These amps are brighter, cleaner, and have a different character and feel than the blackface or early silverface amps that Jerry used.

That said, this is not one of those amps. It is an attempt to copy the Jerry rig with a Fender pre-amp running into a clean HiFi style power amp, but to do it in a single chassis. Keep in mind that even if their power section is close to the old tube McIntosh, this would represent a very brief time period between when Jerry first started using the Twin as just a pre-amp and when they switched from tube to the solid state Mac's. I highly doubt it even does that period well, as the tube Mac's were much bigger and heavier for a reason, and I doubt they could duplicate that in a small head. Add in that it uses a Bassman tone stack and not BF, there is no tube reverb, and the other features that are not at all what Jerry played. It may good, but tying it to Jerry is more than a bit of a marketing stretch. It is more accurate to say that it is very much unlike anything Jerry was known to play.
petcat liked this
 #172826  by Jon S.

In the second bullet on his webpage, the builder self-describes his circuit as ultra linear.
 #172828  by strumminsix

Looks like a fine amp. But I see nothing JG about it. Bassman pre, UL power, unnecessary second channel.
 #172829  by Chocol8

Jon S. wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:18 am In the second bullet on his webpage, the builder self-describes his circuit as ultra linear.
That's like describing an amp as single ended or push pull. Yes, it means something, but there are all sorts of amps with UL output transformers, and most are not copies of or in any way related to the late 70's Fender UL amps.

The simple explanation is the a UL amp has an extra tap on the output transformer connected to the grids of the power tubes that acts as a feedback mechanism to reduce distortion at a small cost in power output. It's been around in the audio world since decades before Fender tried it and is still the norm there vs very rare in the guitar world. Based on that and the lack of any Fender amp like it, I would guess that the 30 watt per channel Stereo UL power section they advertise is likely copied from the hifi world where such a thing is much more common.
natebernstein liked this
 #172830  by Jon S.

Chocol8 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:00 am I would guess that the 30 watt per channel Stereo UL power section they advertise is likely copied from the hifi world where such a thing is much more common.
Your guess makes sense to me - I think you're right.
 #174226  by Bluelabel

Still never got an answer unfortunately... I'm guessing no one has any hands on experience with one? I was wondering the same thing as the OP..