#172676  by MonochroMushroom

Greetings, all!

Let me start this by saying, I'm not a big pedal guy. If it sounds good and gets the job done, I'm fine with it. Recently though I have been looking into getting an Octave pedal to mess around with. Not looking for anything in particular, but in looking at my options I have come up with a few questions. Do I need octave up, octave down, or both? How are you setting yours?
I've seen a lot of Fuzz Octaves, should these be avoided? I'm willing to spend about $200 on something that will definitely get the job done, but if it's something that you believe is 'a mixed bag' I would like to keep it under $100.

Thanks so much.
MonochroMushroom.

Edit: Just to add, I'm not looking to cop an exact Jerry tone, as I like my pedal board to fit a wide range of stuff. My current pedals are; Crybaby Classic Wah, EHX Soul Food for a nice boost, J. Rockett Touch Overdrive, Seamoon Funk Machine Envelope Filter, EHX Bad Stone Phase Shifter, and a MXR Carbon Copy. I have some other pedals that just don't sit on my board right now. I'm also thinking about adding a Doozy Boost or an Xotic Super Sweet Boost to replace the Soul Food and maybe an Xotic Compressor.
 #172682  by MonochroMushroom

Thanks, Walt!
Which Boss one is that? The OC-3? They sell an OC-5 now that I looked at, I just wasn't sure what features were needed. I generally prefer a simpler layout when it comes to a pedal, why use 4 knobs when you only need two? I don't need anything crazy, just enough to cop a nice "Jerry Vibe" to throw on during some jams. Preferably something that would get along well with an Envelope Filter.

Thanks again,
MonochroMushroom
 #172685  by MonochroMushroom

Thanks again, Walt!

I just pulled the trigger on a used OC-3. $140.00 shipping included. It met my price range, it meets the criteria for what it needs to do, and it has a gold star from Uncle Walt. That's all I need.

I was looking at other pedals that were Octave Up only or Octave Down only and some were Up and Down with 6 or 7 knobs for 'fine tuning' (aka me spending more time playing with settings than actually playing). Some were crazy expensive boutique pedals that I knew I didn't need (still fun to entertain the idea though, a $400 Octave pedal that will only see a few jams). I looked up some demos of the OC-3 and the tracking seems well enough that it will put me in the zone.

Really glad I didn't go for one of the fuzz Octaves, even if they did have 6 knobs. I just don't need a fuzz sound. I was between the EHX POG and the Boss OC line. I think this will do just fine.

Bag it, tag it, sell it to the butcher at the store.

Thanks Walt,
MonochroMushroom
 #172796  by natebernstein

I know the OP has decided on an octave pedal but in case anyone happens upon this thread with a similar question, I can vouch for the Foxrox Octron 3, which offers both down and up octaves with the ability to blend in how much of each you'd like, along with the "dry" signal. I've been able to get good Fire on the Mountain/Feel Like a Stranger sounds out of it, combined with my 3Leaf Proton envelope filter. Using both the up and down octaves at the same time, along with the dry signal, also delivers some pretty fun sounds.