#172620  by MonochroMushroom

Hello, everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm in the market for a new amp and have been seriously considering a Quilter 101 Reverb Micro Head or a Blackstar Silverline. I've read a lot of good things about the Quilter but am intrigued by the different voice settings on the Blackstar. It has the ability to choose the type of tube response and feel that the amp has even though it's solid state. Does anybody have any insight or anything I should know about the two? I'm mainly going for '72-'75 Jerry tones, if that matters. I'm running an Agile Harm 3 with Single Coils and am currently building a 2x12 cabinet. Any input on what Ohm speakers I should get and how they should be wired for maximum clean tones would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the wonderful info you guys have given. Keep on Truckin'.

MonochroMushroom.
 #172621  by lbpesq

Howdy MM and welcome to the forum. The Quilter 101 Mini Reverb is a great little amp. Very Fenderish tones and it takes pedals well. I’ve never tried the Blackstar but looking it up I see that it is 20 watts. If that’s powerful enough for your purposes, you might want to look at the Quilter Superblock US. It is a really sweet sounding 25 watt pedal amp with three voices, ‘57, ‘61, and ‘65 Fender.

As for speakers, JBL D120s and K120s are right at the front of the line for clean Jerry tones. The Quilter is very flexible and can handle 4, 8, and 16 ohm loads.

Bill, tgo
Last edited by lbpesq on Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #172622  by Jon S.

The Silverline Special is 50W and $600 at Sweetwater. I’ve never heard one but it looks interesting.
 #172623  by MonochroMushroom

Hey Bill, thanks for the response. I figured if anyone knew the Quilter it would be you. You are actually the reason I am considering one. The Blackstar I was looking at was the 100 Watt Head.

I have a nice tube combo but since the Pandemic hit I haven't been able to crank it to the proper volume because I live in a hundred year old house that was converted to apartments. That's the reason I'm looking at solid states, something I can hopefully get good tones out of without bothering the neighbors or sterilizing the stray cat population. I'm hoping that one of these two will let me practice at home and get some nice tones, while also allowing me to go jam with friends when the need arises.

Let me ask you a question while I have you. If I buy two 16 Ohm speakers, wire them in parallel, and attach them to the same 1/4" jack; that should put me at 8 Ohms? Would this be good for the Quilter? I know you like running a split set up with two single 12s. Always good to hear from you. I think yours and Jon S's insight has helped me most with getting closer to the tone that I look for over the years of lurking.

Thanks again,
MonochroMushroom
 #172624  by MonochroMushroom

Speaking of Jon S! I see you everywhere. TDPRI, Gear Page, RUKind, everywhere! You have helped me figure out a lot of purchases with your opinions on those forums.

Thanks for chiming in. Yeah, the gear demos for the Blackstar show a lot of people copping metal tones or generic clean tones. The "Country" demo from Blackstar themselves shows a bit of promise though. A lot of nice tight cleans tones. I'm not trying to go "Full Jerry" but would like to be able to have the option of doing so. I like the idea of being able to change the voicing so that if somebody wants to Jam some Molly Hatchet, psychedelic/spacey Floyd, or Allman's then I can tweak a knob and (hopefully) get in that ballpark with my pedal board.

Thanks,
MonochroMushroom
 #172625  by Jon S.

Thanks for your kind words and welcome!
 #172631  by Darkstar860

Roland/Boss has had the tube type switches on theirs for awhile, seems like more companies are adding this feature to their SS amps. Ive only ever tried one Blackstar amp and it was pretty good (Tube model). Some of this SS stuff is getting very very good. I was using for awhile a One Control BJF-S66 head (Mini), that amp is simply amazing and it weighs like 4lbs. Def an amp to check out. :-)

-Walt B