#172615  by Darkstar860

Hey there folks, been awhile since I posted on here. Thought id show yall my current setup.

Amp & Cab
SMS CTP w/JG w/ JJ tubes
ART SLA-1 Power Amp
2x12 custom cab w/ JBL e-120's

Effects:
Boss TU-3
Micro-Tron IV
NUX Horseman
GL Custom Dist
BBE Sonic Boost
BBE Sonic Max
Danelectro Spring Reverb (Real spring)
Sonic Cake Mini Delay
(My Delay and Micro-Tron are in the rack case)

Main Guitars:
Phred Wolf WBW-#1
Phred Wolf WBW-#2
w/ Super II's in the Middle
SD White Snark Neck.
Custom Brass plates and parts.
(2nd Wolf is in the shop getting new "stuff" installed)

Pretty sweet sounding setup. A lot of thanks goes out to Brad and Phred.
I just need to get a smaller pedal board. :-)

-Walt B
strumminsix liked this
 #172710  by Darkstar860

Update:
TU-3>Micro>GL TS9 clone>Nux Horseman>BBE Boost

My delay is in the rack case behind the power amp Velcro'd and the Danelectro spring reverb is attached on top of my SMS power amp. Right now my setup is pretty basic. I can get pretty much every sound ive been looking for with this setup. I do need to get an Octave pedal to replace the one I sold a few years back.

I have JJ preamp tubes in the SMS. I like the reverb in the SMS, but it seems like the reverb gets lost as you crank the amp up. So im using Danelectro real spring reverb. You can see how little i have left on my pedalboard by moving certain pedals in the rack case. I always leave my delay on and reverb, so I dont need them at my feet live. I want to get a smaller pedal board. What would yall reccomend for a new pedal board ? I only need room for 5 pedals. (4 if I get a rack tuner, then i dont need the TU-3 anymore.)

Also my 2x12 cab is a closed back and im debating taking the back and cutting some of it in the middle (so it would be 2 separate pieces) ala open back. But im not sure if I want to do that. So anyone jump in and let me know what you think :-)

-Walt B
 #172723  by Darkstar860

I know there is recommended settings for JG tone in the manual for the SMS. But was curious where you guys set your eq and gain etc. This amp has so many good tones, but id like to see where everyone else likes to set theirs :-)

-Walt B
 #172724  by Jon S.

Darkstar860 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:33 am I know there is recommended settings for JG tone in the manual for the SMS. But was curious where you guys set your eq and gain etc. This amp has so many good tones, but id like to see where everyone else likes to set theirs :-)

-Walt B
I've learned over the years that others' setting don't help me particularly well in finding mine because even if our preamps are identical, the rest of our rigs, and our "hands" (playing style/string attack, etc.) all differ.

This being said, running mine into a Carvin DCM200L into a pair of SSP 1X12s with a JBL K120 and Celestion Copperback, having, after much testing, replaced the stock V1 12AX7 with a selected-by-ear NOS Raytheon 5751, and having rewired the 3-way bright switch to make DARK bright and BRIGHT "brighter," mine are:

Gain: 2 o'clock
Treble: dimed
Mid: noon
Bass: 9 o'clock
Reverb: 11 o'clock

I should add, about a year ago, I experimented extensively with the rear output setting. I had been running it at about 3/4 up. I've now backed it off to 1/2 and make up the difference at my power amp. This is the kind of change people often never think of or try but it can make a huge difference.
 #172725  by Darkstar860

^ Thanks :-) I have noticed when messing with it, I dont like the bass turned off like the manual suggests for JG tone. Im messing with the settings you wrote, ill get back to ya in about hour or so ;-)

Thanks very much

-Walt B
 #172726  by Jon S.

Darkstar860 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:16 am I have noticed when messing with it, I dont like the bass turned off like the manual suggests for JG tone.
As I don't play at the Dead's volumes, I have neither Jerry's chops nor gear, nor are Phil Lesh and two drummers my rhythm section, I don't like my bass on zero, either.
 #172765  by Searing75

Try some different preamp tubes. I always find JJ’s to be the dullest of all of the ones I have tried.
 #172767  by Darkstar860

Been debating doing that. Weird ive been using JJ's for years and always liked them. But a few years back I got some old RCA's and some old GE's and in my twin reverb it was amazing the tone I got. I found one RCA 12AX7 (I think is good lol) and an old GE 12AT7. Will the AT7 work in the SMS? If so which place do I put it? Im new to the SMS preamp. I may give those two a spin if the AT7 will work.

-Walt B
 #172768  by Jon S.

In my experience, tubes are like speakers: there are no intrinsically "bad" ones, only ones in search of their best applications. Credit: Pete Cage of Cage Amplifiers. http://www.audiocage.com/
 #172769  by Darkstar860

I put the RCA in and it sounds good (Cant say its better, different yes). I didnt try the GE as I dont know if I can use a 12AT7 in place of a 12AX7 in the SMS preamp.

-Walt B