#172461  by KHotchkin

So I see a lot of topics on electronics and custom modifications and all that, but I don't see a recent topic on strings. They're the source of the sound! There's all kinds of strings nowadays, and they make a remarkable difference to tone, and even to the way your guitar feels.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your standard full-round Slinkys or whatnot. Sometimes those are the best strings for your tone. But if you're looking to warm up your tone, or soften the sound of your pick-attack, have you tried half-rounds, pure nickels, or chromes?

I typically use D'Addario half-rounds at 10 gauge if I want to sound my best, and use full-rounds for practicing on.

Jerry allegedly played "Vinci" brand strings, but they're not in business no more. So to the Jerry-tone seekers: What strings do you prefer? What gauge for your guitar?
 #172462  by strumminsix

I'll say this with gear and tone and that of our idols:
- you better be prepared to go whole hog on matching gear
- you better be prepared to go whole hog on matching technique
- you better be prepared to go whole hog on matching volume

Tone is a gestalt. I've heard guys on Teles and Deluxe Reverbs get better Jerry tone than guys with the gear cuz they had JG's technique, phrasing, and attack much better than the tribute gear folks.

To me, it's usually best to use your ears and focus on technique and musical vocabulary.
KHotchkin, bzbz, brbadg liked this
 #172463  by Jon S.

I agree with the above.

I used D'Addarios for decades. They were fine. Then, on the recommendations of some friends, I tried Curt Mangans and liked them so much that I switched to those.

https://www.curtmangan.com/
KHotchkin liked this
 #172467  by lbpesq

I also used D’Addarios for many years. Then, a few years ago, I switched to GHS Boomers. They feel a little smoother than the D’Addarios. I use these on the guitars I build, repair, or restore, as well as on guitars I play other than my most played. On those couple of guitars I use Optima Gold Maxi-Flex. Yes they’re expensive (though deals can be found), but they seem to last a lot longer than most strings.

Bill, tgo
KHotchkin liked this
 #172471  by Gr8fulCadi

I’ve switched over to Thomastik Strings a couple years back. I use their Jazz BeBop 11’s for my Gretsch hollow bodies. For my strats and Phiga Eagle I use their Blues Sliders 10’s.

They sound great, stay in tune and last so much longer than other brands I used to use.
KHotchkin liked this
 #172473  by lbpesq

KHotchkin wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:10 am There is absolutely nothing wrong with your standard full-round Slinkys or whatnot. Sometimes those are the best strings for your tone. But if you're looking to warm up your tone, or soften the sound of your pick-attack, have you tried half-rounds, pure nickels, or chromes?

Never tried half-rounds but your post makes me curious. I think I'll order me a set. Thanks for the head's up, Vince!

Bill, tgo
KHotchkin liked this
 #172475  by Gr8fulCadi

strumminsix wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:53 pm This is a really interesting video on string gauge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGXj_NQONYM

Rev BFG uses 7s and gets amazing tone. Easier to fatten up than to cut the mud on an amp.
Great point and another reason why I like the Thomastik strings. Their gauge of strings feels like the gauge lower than it, meaning 11’s actually feel like 10’s and the 10’s like 9’s.

No need to make things harder than they have to be!!
strumminsix liked this
 #172476  by Chocol8

strumminsix wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:53 pm This is a really interesting video on string gauge.

Rev BFG uses 7s and gets amazing tone. Easier to fatten up than to cut the mud on an amp.
I converted to 8’s about 3 years ago. It took a month or two to adjust to the feel and to stop pushing chords out of tune with my ham fisted playing, but now I can’t see going back to heavier gauge strings.

If you do change gauge, and maybe just brand or type, consider you may need to change the guitar setup as well.
strumminsix liked this
 #172478  by strumminsix

Chocol8 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:19 pm

I converted to 8’s about 3 years ago. It took a month or two to adjust to the feel and to stop pushing chords out of tune with my ham fisted playing, but now I can’t see going back to heavier gauge strings.

If you do change gauge, and maybe just brand or type, consider you may need to change the guitar setup as well.
I love the feel of 9s. But I play so much acoustic and archtop that I struggle with anything lower than 10s :( i tried 9.5s. loved them but pulled them sharp all the time
 #172479  by KHotchkin

lbpesq wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:44 am
KHotchkin wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:10 am There is absolutely nothing wrong with your standard full-round Slinkys or whatnot. Sometimes those are the best strings for your tone. But if you're looking to warm up your tone, or soften the sound of your pick-attack, have you tried half-rounds, pure nickels, or chromes?

Never tried half-rounds but your post makes me curious. I think I'll order me a set. Thanks for the head's up, Vince!

Bill, tgo
:biggrin: Awesome man, let me know what you think!
You mentioned gold strings. Always wanted to try, but hard to put down that money for them. I should someday.
 #172485  by Searing75

Nickel wound D’addario 10’s have been my go to for a while now. Great, reliable strings.
KHotchkin liked this
 #172486  by lbpesq

The UPS person delivered my set of half-rounds yesterday and I put them on a 2011 American Standard Tele with Alembic PUs and electronics last night. They did feel quite nice playing unplugged on the couch. I’ll be plugging in today. I’m curious how they will work with a slide.

Bill, tgo
 #172490  by bzbz

that video would inform me better if it was played through a clean amp - with all that dirt, it tells me nothing