#172491  by Chocol8

bzbz wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:10 am that video would inform me better if it was played through a clean amp - with all that dirt, it tells me nothing
??? The main point of the video was how using lighter gauge strings can tighten up the bass when playing with a lot of gain.

Too much bass on a clean sound can be easily EQ’d out after the fact. With dirt tones, it needs to be cut before the dirt or you get mud. You can do it with a pedal, like a TS that has a built in cut, or, as the video points out, you can use lighter strings.
Jon S. liked this
 #172492  by strumminsix

Chocol8 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:12 pm
bzbz wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:10 am that video would inform me better if it was played through a clean amp - with all that dirt, it tells me nothing
??? The main point of the video was how using lighter gauge strings can tighten up the bass when playing with a lot of gain.

Too much bass on a clean sound can be easily EQ’d out after the fact. With dirt tones, it needs to be cut before the dirt or you get mud. You can do it with a pedal, like a TS that has a built in cut, or, as the video points out, you can use lighter strings.
Yup. JG's ability to cut into the mix even on the low strings without sounding muddy or flubby was incredible. Even when driven!

IMO, it's easier to fatten at the amp than it is to add clarity on an amp's tonestack. Thought that video did it nicely.