#171209  by Jon S.

I've been offered, in trade, an MXR Distortion + yellow two knob unit. At least that's how the other guy describes it. I'm not knowledgeable as to the differences between the various Distortion + iterations. Is this type considered desirable? Thanks.
 #171213  by tdcrjeff

From that vague description "yellow" it sounds like the modern one. The older more desirable ones (whether script or block logo) were more mustard colored. Think Grey Poupon instead of French's.
 #171215  by Jon S.

Thanks for the info. Yes, it is a modern one with block script - I confirmed this with its owner. Do the newer ones get love, too?
 #171219  by NeilG1

"block script" is confusing ;)
I've never played one but my understanding is the block print ones, or even the script reissues, don't vibe like the old ones. I personally would think a Solar Flare or Spud Drive would be more in line with the Jerry 70's script D+ sound than the more modern MXRs. Or even the Whirlwind version (Gold box I believe?). But like I say - never played one of the MXRs personally.
 #171220  by Jon S.

Thanks for your feedback. :musicsmile:

I'd thought that whatever's not script is block.

In any event, it's no longer relevant. I turned down the deal when the other guy came back with a lowball offer. While that never angers me as it seems to do to some people (it's no skin off of my nose if someone want to try for a steal of a deal), after selling over $7K worth of other gear already this past month, I realized, who needs the tsuris* arguing over a couple of small, easily-stored pedals that I priced fairly ab initio**? So I pulled my ad. :P

* https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tsuris

** https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ab%20initio

EDIT: It all goes to show, you don't ever know. When I replied to the guy that I pulled my ad because I'm tired of the negotiations, he responded by meeting my (fair) advertised price. And he'll get his "new" vintage Boss pedal from me quickly and in excellent condition - another win-win!
Searing75 liked this
 #171225  by Searing75

The block logo with no led power indicator is The same as the script logo version, and will get you the Jerry tones. It comes down to the diodes in the circuit. The early versions used germanium diodes, while the later versions made by Dunlop used silicon diodes.
Jon S. liked this