#172896  by Jon S.

Darkstar860 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:46 pm I dont see this 25 watts keeping up with my two drummers, just saying.
You might be surprised.

I play with two groups. For one, the drummer is mellow, but for the other, he's a banger. And my SB easily keeps up with both.

Here's a little "secret" about Quilter amps, and I admire Pat Quilter for it.

Forget all of your past experience with solid state amps rated at 100W that, in practice, couldn't keep up with a BF DR.

Using the SB as an example, this unit is rated nominally at 25W. In actually, it's putting out at least double that. But Quilter went about it the right way. Instead of exagerrating it's output, they've understated it in order to maximize the headroom and volume/stated watts ratio.

This is among the reasons Quilter amps surprise so many people who never before played a solid state amp like them.
 #173097  by lbpesq

I used my Superblock US with a band for the first time today. I ran it into a 1x12 open back loaded with a JBL K-120. Playing GD - two guitars, keys, bass, and drums. Since I don’t play lead with this band, I don’t need my two channel Aviator Mach 3, so I was curious how the Superblock would perform in a full band context. I was very impressed! I wouldn’t be surprised if this thing tested as more than the stated 25 watts. And really good tone, too!. A++++

Bill, tgo
 #173100  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:13 pm I used my Superblock US with a band for the first time today. I ran it into a 1x12 open back loaded with a JBL K-120. Playing GD - two guitars, keys, bass, and drums. Since I don’t play lead with this band, I don’t need my two channel Aviator Mach 3, so I was curious how the Superblock would perform in a full band context. I was very impressed! I wouldn’t be surprised if this thing tested as more than the stated 25 watts. And really good tone, too!. A++++
My SB US into my Reverend 1X12 cab w/Weber 30W ceramic Blue Dog/slightly doped has become my primary amp rig for jamming and practicing with my bands. I agree with Bill, it's impressive indeed. As for the wattage, I recall Pat Quilter posting somewhere how, in contrast to other SS head and combo builders who routinely overstate their units' wattage, Quilter does the opposite. Quilter understates their units' wattage to ensure users get enough legit headroom at the rated wattages.
 #175008  by pickngrin

Curious if people are still happy with their Superblocks. Have they proven to be loud enough? Reliable enough? "Jerry" enough? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these to run into a cab with a Weber California. If anyone has video or audio of their SB in action, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!
 #175010  by strumminsix

pickngrin wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:28 am Curious if people are still happy with their Superblocks. Have they proven to be loud enough? Reliable enough? "Jerry" enough? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these to run into a cab with a Weber California. If anyone has video or audio of their SB in action, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!
Still own mine. It's in my backup box. Does a great job in a pinch for doing direct or powering a cab. Do I love it? No. But it's helped a few gigs go much better than it would have otherwise and that's valuable.
 #175011  by lbpesq

Using mine all the time for rehearsal and the occasional jam. It lives on my pedal board, so it’s always there as a backup on gigs where I’m using a bigger rig. I’m “Bobby” in my Dead band, and my other band is non-Dead, so I’m not looking for Jerry tones. I love the way this little puppy sounds through my SSP 1x12 loaded with an old Jensen Neo 12-100. And it takes pedals quite well, yielding a nice lead tone when paired with a Sarno Earth Drive. As for volume, it has way more than I need to keep up with a full band. Great piece of kit.

Bill, tgo
Last edited by lbpesq on Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
strumminsix liked this
 #175013  by pickngrin

lbpesq wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:19 am Using mine all the time for rehearsal and the occasional jam. It lives in my pedal board, so it’s always there as a backup on gigs where I’m using a bigger rig. I’m “Bobby” in my Dead band, and my other band is non-Dead, so I’m not looking for Jerry tones. I love the way this little puppy sounds through my SSP 1x12 loaded with an old Jensen Neo 12-100. And it takes pedals quite well, yielding a nice lead tone when paired with a Sarno Earth Drive. As for volume, it has way more than I need to keep up with a full band. Great piece of kit.

Bill, tgo
Thanks Bill--and thanks to Strumminsix , too, for your insights on this. I'll probably order one and see how it works out. At the very least, it would be a good backup for an emergency at a gig.
strumminsix liked this
 #175021  by Darkstar860

Id at least want 100watt if i were going to get one of these. I cant see 25w being loud enough, especially with 2 drummers.
 #175022  by lbpesq

Darkstar860 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:13 am Id at least want 100watt if i were going to get one of these. I cant see 25w being loud enough, especially with 2 drummers.

At least 100 watts? What stadium are you playing in?

Seriously, though, try it, you’d be surprised!

Bill, tgo
 #175024  by Darkstar860

At our band practices we dont have stuff mic'd up. So we got two drummers, two key players, 2 guitars and bass. THe only thing that run thru the PA is the vocals. I know we could mic it etc but weve done this for 2 + decades with no problem. At our jam space theres NO way 25watts of SS power is enough to keep up. 100watts yes, but 25watts un mic'd is not gonna keep up with the band we have. If it was 25watts of TUBE power (or 22watts Deluxe reverb) yes. But this is SS. When we tour and play festivals etc, yes we have stuff mic'd so 25watts SS power would indeed work.
 #175025  by lbpesq

We have two guitars, bass, keys, and drums. All we put through the PA at rehearsal is the vocals. The other guitar plays through a Twin Reverb. The keys go through a Roland KC350 (120 watts). The bass goes through an Alembic F-1X pre > Crest 4A power amp (800 watts, bridged). The Superblock keeps up without breathing hard. Of course this is at rehearsal in a relatively small space. The Superblock is NOT 25 “solid state” watts. I’d be willing to bet it actually specs out as more than 25 “real watts”. I recently sold my Princeton Reverb II (Rivera era with the master volume). It was rated at 25 “tube” watts. It could keep up with the full band. The Superblock is just as loud. I do like a bit more power when I’m gigging a bigger room (Alembic F-2B pre > Carvin DCM200L > pair of 1x12s loaded with K120s). But I have no doubt the Superblock could fill in in a pinch. It may not work for you, but I strongly suggest you at least try one before judging. Like I said above, I believe you would be quite pleasantly surprised.

Bill, tgo
Darkstar860 liked this
 #175029  by Jon S.

Mine is now my main amp. Works for many genres and tones and takes pedals splendidly.
 #175030  by Jon S.

A Quilter rep posted a while back that the SB puts out 50W but is rated conservatively as 25 before clipping. I agree, it easily matches a DR.