#170552  by Jon S.

Leo Elliot chose David Allen Voodoo ’69's for his Scarlet Fire Wolfs. I dig how they sound on mine.

wpmartin1979, Searing75 liked this
 #170554  by wpmartin1979

The middle pup on the Voodoo 69s gets GREAT Jerry tones - I agree with Jon on that. The Voodoo 69s are fantastic pups.

Otherwise you could try the Dimarzio Super Distortions or Super 2s - the Super 2s will be brighter

Also any vintage style middle Strat type pickup sounds good for early Jerry tones especially with an Earth drive or something like that to push it into edge of breakup for leads

I’m not sure exactly sure what he had in Wolf in ‘74 but probably easy to look up
 #170588  by Searing75

Go with the D. Allen Echoes set. The neck and middle pups are the Voodoo 69’s, where the bride will offer two output settings. One normal voodoo 69, and another higher output for thicker, bolder tones. If you don’t want to add a two way switch, then you can just wire it up to the thicker output. It sounds great!
Jblue76 liked this
 #170589  by wpmartin1979

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:21 pm I’ve got some A3’s 54’ pickups from Bootstrap I’m ready to drop into a Natural Strat w/ a Blaster. Have heard great things about the A3’s and Alligator tones but not sure about 74’ Wolf tones.
I just ordered some of these - seem pretty legit for $50 and an economical way to give the A3’s a test run.
Thanks for the rec!!! :musicsmile:
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #170590  by Gr8fulCadi

Sweet.....let us know how they are if you get yours in the guitar before me. Did you get the staggered poles or non-staggered? I went with the non-staggered per their recommendation as my neck radius is 9.5. We’ll see
 #170591  by wpmartin1979

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:21 am Sweet.....let us know how they are if you get yours in the guitar before me. Did you get the staggered poles or non-staggered? I went with the non-staggered per their recommendation as my neck radius is 9.5. We’ll see
Non staggered as I have a modern neck on the Strat they are going in - I use Mojotone solderless harnesses in my Strats for easy switching so they’ll be in 15 minutes after I get them lol
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #170593  by lbpesq

I've never tried Bootstrap pickups, but after reading about them here, I checked out their site. $50 for a set of three with covers is certainly a deal! I noticed they advertise that they wind in the garage, but don't say that they wind by hand. I wind my own pickups by hand and I can't match their price. One thing I noticed is that they are using enamel coated wire. The vintage Fenders used Heavy Formvar wire (as do I) which is a little more expensive, but not by much. Also I couldn't find anything on their site about the type of bevel on the magnets. Let us know how you like them.

Bill, tgo
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170606  by LaZyLightNing415

First off I have to address the elephant in the room..... Jerry ain't never played NO 'Wolph"! Actually,there is no such thing (~);} Regarding Wolf tones around 1974.... that requires more than pickups; the original tone will never be duplicated. But, as far as I know, his Wolf's pickups at that time were 3 single coil stratocasters. I believe he swapped them out in 1976 or 77.
 #170607  by 8-6-71 for me

Essentially: 50s single coil Strat pickups > stratoblaster > Fender Twin w JBL D120

Wolf is a super Strat... If you already have a Strat style guitar for about $1000 you could:

install that style pickup in any half way decent Strat off the shelf, $100
buy a JJ gadgets stratoblaster pedal, $75
buy any model of the countless 1x12 Fender tube amps, blues jr sell for as little as $350
replace the stock speaker w JBL D-120 $450

Get back to playing.
Gr8fulCadi, wleeds liked this