#170392  by wpmartin1979

I’ve never gone down the delay rabbit hole before and would like to avoid doing so.

Please tell me which delay pedal you like best and why.

Also, please educate me in the ins and outs of delay, how and when you use it etc.

Tell me why you think I need delay and which delay I need!

Please address important factors like analog vs digital - ambient vs slap back etc

Please give examples of how Jerry used delay in his playing

I just assume have you guys hash it out here and when the dust settles I’ll make my decision
 #170397  by Jon S.

I just received my Strymon DIG. It is a mind-boggling, versatile, and great dual delay.

My primary purpose in choosing this one is not for Dead, however (though it's certainly readily adaptable for Dead), but rather for covering bands like U2, Pink Floyd, and the Police in my current band that also plays a bunch of Dead and JGB but much more, too.

These are the videos that sent me over the edge (see what I did there? :lol: ) on this pedal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCz1NyKD3Fc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbkYG53goNs

wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170398  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:51 pm I just received my Strymon DIG. It is a mind-boggling, versatile, and great dual delay.

My primary purpose in choosing this one is not for Dead, however (though it's certainly readily adaptable for Dead), but rather for covering bands like U2, Pink Floyd, and the Police in my current band that also plays a bunch of Dead and JGB but much more, too.

These are the videos that sent me over the edge (see what I did there? :lol: ) on this pedal:

What are the power requirements for this one?
 #170399  by wpmartin1979

strumminsix wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:38 pm If I could only own 1... I'd be the MXR Carbon Copy. Super easy controls and very musical. The bring/dark delay switch is awesome. Only con, is there's no tap tempo.
Can you explain the benefits if tap tempo and when you use it. I’m assuming it’s more important if you play live, but I’m not exactly sure - do you just tap the switch with the drum beat to get the tempo of the delay?

Sorry I’m a total delay NEWB as my son would say lol :biggrin:
strumminsix liked this
 #170401  by Blacklodgebob

the other analog strymon worked for me. Very sensitive to get it set right, and I dont think it lets you save anything. But when dialed it sounds amazing. Smoked 25 years of delay pedals for me. I do not get along with them normally. For a mini board, try the ibanez analog delay, it took me longer than Id want to admit, but if you turn the left mini pot all the way off, you can get a very musical jerry slapback. very sensitive also but once you get there, at around 8-12pm on the time dial there are about 3 totally killer different slapback settings work marking with a marker. Otherwise, Im anti delay pedal!
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170402  by PurpleTrails

strumminsix wrote:If I could only own 1... I'd be the MXR Carbon Copy. Super easy controls and very musical. The bring/dark delay switch is awesome. Only con, is there's no tap tempo.
This for me, at least for Jerry stuff. Jerry used an old school MXR analog delay, and the CC seems to me to have very similar tone. It's the safest Jerry board pedal recommendation I can make.

There are more versatile delay pedals, but the CC is simple to use and nails the tone.
 #170403  by Jon S.

wpmartin1979 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:14 pm
Jon S. wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:51 pm I just received my Strymon DIG. It is a mind-boggling, versatile, and great dual delay.

What are the power requirements for this one?
9V DC center negative 250 ma. The unit ships WITH a matching wall wart.
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170404  by Jon S.

wpmartin1979 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:17 pm Can you explain the benefits if tap tempo and when you use it. I’m assuming it’s more important if you play live, but I’m not exactly sure - do you just tap the switch with the drum beat to get the tempo of the delay?
Exactly.

For Dead, not critical.

For songs like these, absent a millisecond readout on our delay pedals plus our drummers having in-ear click tracks with matching bpm to our delay readouts, I don't see how we can do without tap tempo.

The one thing the DIG lacks that I would like to also have is the ability to save multiple delay settings so you don't have to dial them in anew for each song (you can get an accesory pedal but it only saves one setting). If this is important to you, you might splurg instead on the Strymon Timeline.

#170406  by wpmartin1979

Blacklodgebob wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:30 pm the other analog strymon worked for me. Very sensitive to get it set right, and I dont think it lets you save anything. But when dialed it sounds amazing. Smoked 25 years of delay pedals for me. Otherwise, Im anti delay pedal!
Are you referring to the El Capistan?
Blacklodgebob liked this
 #170407  by Blacklodgebob

wpmartin1979 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:06 pm
Blacklodgebob wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:30 pm the other analog strymon worked for me. Very sensitive to get it set right, and I dont think it lets you save anything. But when dialed it sounds amazing. Smoked 25 years of delay pedals for me. Otherwise, Im anti delay pedal!
the bucket one - its green. sorry i gaff tape over all the writing as to keep me more creative. but its the GREEN one. I bought them all and could not for the life of me get any of them to work but the green one. I used a John K. recording to match his eventides preset pretty closely. I tried the eventide and hated it.
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170408  by PurpleTrails

Blacklodgebob wrote:
the bucket one - its green. sorry i gaff tape over all the writing as to keep me more creative. but its the GREEN one. I bought them all and could not for the life of me get any of them to work but the green one. I used a John K. recording to match his eventides preset pretty closely. I tried the eventide and hated it.
That's the brigadier. FWIW, my least favorite strymon pedal. I A-B'd a friend's with the carbon copy, and thought the CC sounded better. YMMV
 #170409  by Blacklodgebob

PurpleTrails wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:29 pm
Blacklodgebob wrote:

That's the brigadier. FWIW, my least favorite strymon pedal. I A-B'd a friend's with the carbon copy, and thought the CC sounded better. YMMV
Right. Its hard to dial in, that being said, if your trying to emulate an old bucket brigade pedal like Jerry's, I still do not think you can do better once its dialed in. Its a pain the ass to get to that point, but when you have all the pedals plugged in and can a/b, and the strymon has what 6 knobs, its going to be a miracle if you get it there. Its that slapback. There are so many analog style delay pedals now. I do not know why its so hard to get it just right. John K gets pretty close with the eventide, but again I could only get the strymon to make it sound like the eventide, even with an eventide in hand. Its a pain.
 #170410  by lbpesq

Maybe I’m just getting old and crotchety, and I’ve gently said it before. When posting in a thread in response to the previous post, does everyone really need to quote the above post, then the next poster quotes the two above posts, then the next quotes the three above posts, etc. It becomes confusing and we wind up reading the same posts over and over. When someone posts “what’s your favorite delay pedal”, can’t the next poster just post “MXR Carbon Copy” WITHOUT also quoting the question? We’ll all understand. None of the other forums I frequent engage in these never-ending quotes, and everyone understands just fine.

Now get off my lawn!

Bill, tgo
 #170411  by Searing75

The Keeley eccos is the best delay I have used. It is also a looper. Tap tempo. Expression jack which you can assign any parameter to. Geez....lot’s of other stuff, but mainly it sounds killer!
wpmartin1979 liked this