#169821  by zkinard

Looking to set up my strat and wondering where Jerry liked his string height? I'm guessing higher than I likely want it but I'm curious if this is known or if anyone has an opinion?

As always, you all are a tremendous help--thank you,
Zach
 #169823  by Jon S.

I know this isn't the answer you requested but have you considered, rather than initially setting the PUP height similar to the actual Alligator, playing around with the overall setup, including string height, on your own Strat with your fave Dead recording as a reference point? Considering how many factors go into a setup in total, you might get yourself closer to the tones you want this way than only copying Jerry's string height. Just an option for your consideration.
 #169824  by wpmartin1979

zkinard wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:42 pm Looking to set up my strat and wondering where Jerry liked his string height? I'm guessing higher than I likely want it but I'm curious if this is known or if anyone has an opinion?

As always, you all are a tremendous help--thank you,
Zach
This has info on his action for Tiger:

http://dozin.com/jers/jers/guitars/tiger/info.html

Enjoy and good luck!
 #169825  by lbpesq

Given the mounting of the Alembic brass channel bridge on top of the wood riser on the first incarnations of Alligator, the action on the guitar had to be quite high. On the last version of Alligator, the wood riser was trimmed back so that it came to the edge of the bridge, but no longer ran under it. This allowed the sustain block to be installed under the bridge and flush mounted with the top of the guitar.

I believe that on the versions of Alligator prior to the sustain block, it would have been impossible to set a low action. This is an issue many of us who have built Alligators have run up against. I know of one builder that shimmed the neck to sit higher in the pocket. On my first Alligator build, I trimmed back the riser, even without a sustain block. My next one, currently in progress, will sport a sustain block.

Bill, tgo