#169820  by wpmartin1979

LazyLightning72 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:57 pm Looking really good man, glad you got all the mods you wanted done.

How do you like the new pickups, compared to the ones it came with?

Also, how difficult was the new bridge to install?

Regardless, looks great, bet it sounds great too. Hope you have a lifetime of fun playing it.
I like the pickups a lot, although mostly just use the middle. The SD-1 is pretty dark, more so than I expected, but sounds cool if you need it. The bridge is pretty bright, but comes in handy for certain rhythm parts that need to cut. Hard to directly compare with the Eastwood ones without A/B ing them with the old ones, but I’m just glad I have the ones Jerry had, since it’s a tribute to his tone. I also prefer the matte black to the shiny black with chrome bobbins, just in terms of looks.

The bridge was tricky because although it had the right center stud-to-stud distance spec wise, the type of studs had certain fittings that made the fit not work by like 1-2mm. I thought about plugging and re-drilling holes, but Bill gave me the idea of altering the bridge instead. In the end I was able to use the correct stud on one side which locked the bridge in place, then drill out some of the brass in the underside of the bridge and use a different type of stud on the other side that allowed it to work.
It had me stumped for a while but in the end it worked out so I’m stoked!
I did have to plug two of the holes from the old tailpiece with 3/16” dowels. I tapped them down with a hammer until they were flush with the body. Then, using the center hole of the old tailpiece I drilled two new holes in the body that allowed me to install the matching tailpiece for the bridge.
:cool:
 #169822  by LazyLightning72

I have considered changing out the pickups in my Wolf tribute.

I’ll leave the neck one for now, but want to change out the bridge and middle.

The new Dimarzio Dual Sound pups are something like $80 each iirc, which isn’t to bad imho.
 #169826  by wpmartin1979

LazyLightning72 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:31 pm I have considered changing out the pickups in my Wolf tribute.

The new Dimarzio Dual Sound pups are something like $80 each iirc, which isn’t to bad imho.
I’m sure they would sound sweet! Working on guitars is a little intimidating at first but once you dive in and get your hands dirty it starts to make sense and isn’t very hard. The Dimarzio pickups come with installation instructions too. You should know how to solder though, took me a little bit of practice to get that down, but it’s easy to practice.
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #171226  by LazyLightning72

wpmartin1979 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:48 pm
LazyLightning72 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:31 pm I have considered changing out the pickups in my Wolf tribute.

I’m sure they would sound sweet! Working on guitars is a little intimidating at first but once you dive in and get your hands dirty it starts to make sense and isn’t very hard. The Dimarzio pickups come with installation instructions too. You should know how to solder though, took me a little bit of practice to get that down, but it’s easy to practice.
I have been meaning to ask you about the work you did to the nut. The only real gripe I have with my Eastwood Wolf, is the nut slots and saddle slots. Without getting another brass blank and putting my own slots, I am curious about your modification. I wonder if it would give me the headroom I need to get the slots cut better.
Is your nut still working better, with the changes you made?
 #171323  by Searing75

Jerry had Dual Sounds (Super Distortions) in Wolf, and not Super II’s. Much fuller tone in that guitar, and in clone builds.