#169984  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:46 am
wpmartin1979 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:35 am Hey Jon, check out this bad boy - it’s got a Stratoblaster circuit, an Orange Squeeze Compressor circuit and a ProCo Rat circuit in one pedal! ...
The week those were first announced, I put myself on the mailing list for it and got one of the first 50 or so. I did everything possible to like the pedal but I could not. I sold it a couple of months later for close to what I paid for it. I'll resist explaining why I disliked it. It would be a long and idiosyncratic story that shouldn't influence anyone else who might feel differently than I about the pedal's basic tones and interactivity between them.
The lack of a foot switch for the blaster is a deal breaker for me. I really like the blaster circuit but also like to be able to switch it off.

I just thought it was interesting that they chose the Rat circuit to throw in there. I think it proves how versatile the circuit is. I also believe it was one of the very first overdrive circuits ever created - not positive on that though ... definitely classic.
 #169986  by lbpesq

I’ve got a Boostron 3. The lack of footswitch for the Blaster doesn’t bug me. I had an original Stratoblaster in my Strat many years ago, and I now build my own Blaster circuits for my Alligators and other guitars. I prefer to use the Blaster set at about unity gain and always on, so no switch, no problem. My issue with the Boostron is that it has a huge footprint. As a result, I’ve never really spent a lot of time with it.

Bill, tgo
 #169987  by wpmartin1979

lbpesq wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:04 am I’ve got a Boostron 3. The lack of footswitch for the Blaster doesn’t bug me. I had an original Stratoblaster in my Strat many years ago, and I now build my own Blaster circuits for my Alligators and other guitars. I prefer to use the Blaster set at about unity gain and always on, so no switch, no problem. My issue with the Boostron is that it has a huge footprint. As a result, I’ve never really spent a lot of time with it.

Bill, tgo
The footprint is large, but when you consider it is three pedals in one it is basically comparable to three MXR sized pedals.
 #169988  by NSP

wpmartin1979 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:35 am Same wait time to get a Solar Flare, which is also a Distortion + clone. I have found that with the Earth drive next to the Solar flare you pretty much have all the lead tones covered.
I agree! Did I see that you're in the Madison area?

wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169989  by wpmartin1979

NSP wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:52 am
wpmartin1979 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:35 am Same wait time to get a Solar Flare, which is also a Distortion + clone. I have found that with the Earth drive next to the Solar flare you pretty much have all the lead tones covered.
I agree! Did I see that you're in the Madison area?

Oh no way! We’ll have to jam once this Covid thing blows over - was just down in Madison recently to hit up the climbing gym. Hopefully vaccine comes through soon 🤞
 #169993  by NSP

wpmartin1979 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:10 am Oh no way! We’ll have to jam once this Covid thing blows over - was just down in Madison recently to hit up the climbing gym. Hopefully vaccine comes through soon 🤞
Yeah, sounds good. My wife is already vaccinated. We're in Verona and we have a studio / jam space.

Our band is called Seaside Zoo. Like every other band in the world, we're dying to play out again.
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169994  by PurpleTrails

wpmartin1979 wrote:
Jon S. wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:46 am
wpmartin1979 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:35 am Hey Jon, check out this bad boy - it’s got a Stratoblaster circuit, an Orange Squeeze Compressor circuit and a ProCo Rat circuit in one pedal! ...
The week those were first announced, I put myself on the mailing list for it and got one of the first 50 or so. I did everything possible to like the pedal but I could not. I sold it a couple of months later for close to what I paid for it. I'll resist explaining why I disliked it. It would be a long and idiosyncratic story that shouldn't influence anyone else who might feel differently than I about the pedal's basic tones and interactivity between them.
The lack of a foot switch for the blaster is a deal breaker for me. I really like the blaster circuit but also like to be able to switch it off.

I just thought it was interesting that they chose the Rat circuit to throw in there. I think it proves how versatile the circuit is. I also believe it was one of the very first overdrive circuits ever created - not positive on that though ... definitely classic.
The rat wasn't one of the first, but probably second wave. MXR Dist+, DOD 250, OD-1/DS-1 all pre-dated it by five years or so. The Rat came out around the time the Ibanez 808 did, a bit after the Maxon 808.

FWIW, the Rat isn't an OD, but a distortion pedal.
 #169995  by wpmartin1979

PurpleTrails wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:47 pm
wpmartin1979 wrote:[quote="Jon S." post_id=169982 time=1613749591 user_id=

FWIW, the Rat isn't an OD, but a distortion pedal.
Hmmm, kinda a controversial statement, I know some who would argue otherwise. Funny I’ve heard it argued both ways, metal heads say it’s an OD and Blues heads say it’s distortion.
It’s a FET circuit right?
Isn’t the Distortion Plus supposed to be a distortion pedal too?
From what I remember you can definitely dial in edge of breakup OD.
Tomatoes/tomatoes?
 #169996  by wpmartin1979

NSP wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:45 pm
wpmartin1979 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:10 am Oh no way! We’ll have to jam once this Covid thing blows over - was just down in Madison recently to hit up the climbing gym. Hopefully vaccine comes through soon 🤞
Yeah, sounds good. My wife is already vaccinated. We're in Verona and we have a studio / jam space.

Our band is called Seaside Zoo. Like every other band in the world, we're dying to play out again.
So do you happen to know the guys in Armchair Boogie?
 #169999  by Jon S.

It’s more a defect in the forum hosting software here than anything else. I’m aware of no other guitar forum where, when you quote someone, the software drags along with his post all the others before his, too. It’s but a minor hassle, though, in the cosmic scheme.
 #170015  by Jon S.

Any fans here of the Boss SD-1? From what I'm reading now, it's pretty much an OD-1 (yes, I know OD-1's themselves varied in their components - I'm saying pretty much) with a tone control. For $49.99 new, it seems like a bargain.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-SD-1-Boss-S ... 576&sr=8-2
 #170062  by Jon S.

I had no idea just mentioning the SD-1 would kill the thread! :lol: