#169563  by wpmartin1979

[quote=Searing75 post_id=169557 time=1612408922 user_id=15315
The Boss OD-1 and 2r are gonna get you a nice array for Jerry tones.
[/quote]

Yes, but if you look at his rig you see that he flanked each one with a GE-7. I think these are just as essential to his tone. Gilmore also used these in the same way during that era.
No one seems to know his settings, but my guess is he scooped some of the mids for less “scream” and more sparkle.

http://dozin.com/jers/90srig/90s.html
 #169686  by wpmartin1979

So I’ve had some time now with the Earth Drive and WOW! I can see what all the praise is about. Definitely the best ‘clean’ Jerry tone pedal I’ve used.
It reminds a lot if the MP Sweet Honey, but it feels
More luxurious under your fingers, like your driving an expensive car.
Awesome pedal!

With the
Earth Drive > FYD TRP > Lexicon MX300 > MosValve 962 > JBL K120
I am coming closer than I ever have to replicating Jerry’s tone ... I mean it sounds freakin incredible, I got to work on setting up a mic to record some of the tones for you guys... mission is almost complete :musicsmile:
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #169768  by KirstieTheWolf

wpmartin1979 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:53 pm
NeilG1 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:06 pm I'm curious about the DOD 250 as well. I played a reissue and it was almost there. These were made in the 70's and are very close to the MXR script D+ circuit. In fact, I know that analogman will mod a DOD with a switch to toggle between DOD clipping and MXR. I bet this would be a great one.
It must switch between diodes, because I’m pretty sure those two are identical “hard clipping” circuits. The only difference is that the MXR uses germanium diodes vs. whatever the DOD uses (I can’t remember). I have both a 1980 Distortion + and a vintage DOD. They sound pretty close to the same but the MXR has a little more distortion when cranked all the way. There’s a lot of lore about the “script” MXR’s but it is my understanding that the 1980s block are built with exactly the same parts as the script.

The MXR (and DOD) both sound great pushing my FYD TRP - I just think the MXR is “cooler” cause Jerry had one - I wouldn’t pay $400 for a script one tho.

In comparison, the OD1 and OD2 are tube screamer type circuits (aka soft clippers). The other type of vintage OD circuit is FET (or mosfet), which is what the Stratoblaster and Fulltone have.

This is pretty much the extent of my understanding so anybody please feel free to correct me or add to what I have said here.
The OD-2 is actually completely original thing. Transistor based and only has diode clipping in the turbo mode. I like the normal mode alot cause it sounds like my amp turned up more without adding volume and distorion (its kinda like an underdrive pedal). I have a byoc od-1 too and it's terrible IMO. I don't get how jerry used it with his rig. Maybe I messed up making it but it is just trebly and harsh. I like the SD-2 more for the boss soft clipping thing
 #169769  by wpmartin1979

Thanks for the info on the OD-2. As for your thoughts on the OD-1, again, I’m convinced that Jerry utilized the GE-7 equalizers to the fullest extent to shape his tone. Those things are very powerful tools when placed after an OD. He could probably shape it to sound however he wanted. At the time there weren’t a lot of options for over drive pedals - MXR and then Boss were really the only game in town so to speak - so I think the eq’s were an important part of Jerry’s OD tone. Would love to know his EQ settings though,
KirstieTheWolf liked this
 #169896  by wpmartin1979

I need to add the Effectrode Blackbird to this thread. After playing this for a week now I can say it is one of the finest overdrives I have ever played. The Blackbird is a tube preamp (3 12AX7 tubes) with a really nice clean channel as well.
The overdrive channel is based on a four stage Dumble / Saldano amp’s drive channel. It offers incredible low to medium gain overdrive - super dynamic and soft under the fingers with a high end sparkle.

Interestingly, I’ve been switching between the OD channel and the clean channel boosted with the Earth Drive and the tones sound extremely similar. The Earth drive really feels very tube like and stacks up well against the Blackbird. This makes me wonder if the Earth Drive circuit is based on a Dumble style OD. Anyone know more in depth info on the Earth Drive and what it’s based on?
 #169948  by Jon S.

Is there a modern pedal that is essentially a reissue of the MXR Distortion+ script version?
 #169949  by Searing75

I always assumed the SMS Solar Flare was a modernized Dist + script. I wonder if it has Germanium diodes and an 741 IC in its clipping path? I have both, but never compared them.
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169951  by NeilG1

I’m really liking my BYOC OD- 1. Using it as a first stage distortion - just adds some sustain and then more dirt if I attack the strings harder. Plays really nicely with the OD-2, and with both in line, I’ve got 3 levels of Jerry dirt to play with. Can go from West LA to Deal end jam to Bucket :)
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169952  by NeilG1

Regarding the equalizers - did Jerry always have them in line with the OD-1 and OD-2? I know that in the mid-90’s he did, but I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that mid 90’s tone isn’t what most Jerry enthusiasts are going for ;)
When these pedals appeared circa 1989, did he bring the EQ pedals in with them? I can’t find confirmation of this....
 #169953  by wpmartin1979

NeilG1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:05 am Regarding the equalizers - did Jerry always have them in line with the OD-1 and OD-2? I know that in the mid-90’s he did, but I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that mid 90’s tone isn’t what most Jerry enthusiasts are going for ;)
When these pedals appeared circa 1989, did he bring the EQ pedals in with them? I can’t find confirmation of this....
By the mid nineties he was dead!
Are you saying there is a big difference between ‘91 tone and ‘94 tone? I don’t hear the difference all that much. Maybe some subtle differences - I mean his playing was a bit more fluid in ‘91 as he was in better shape physically.

The OD-1 is a tube screamer circuit so it essentially boosts the mid range. But if you listen to the 90s tone you don’t hear the mid range scream, you hear more of a thinned out sparkle - he’s fitting in way more notes using arpeggios and triads more than scales in his playing. Compare a song like Deal from ‘77 and ‘91 - the ‘77 will have more major pentatonic licks with less notes and a mid range bump, but the ‘91 will sound thinner, but with more notes and more sparkle. Just my own observation though, maybe some hear it differently.

So I guess my point is that he was using the EQs to get that thinner tone from what would otherwise be a mid range heavy pedal.

Here’s his 90’s rig:

http://dozin.com/jers/90srig/90s.html
Last edited by wpmartin1979 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #169954  by wpmartin1979

tdcrjeff wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:00 am
Jon S. wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:57 pm Is there a modern pedal that is essentially a reissue of the MXR Distortion+ script version?
Whirlwind Gold
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... tion-pedal
This looks cool - special order 1-2 weeks. I had never seen this before! Thanks for showing this Jon.

Same wait time to get a Solar Flare, which is also a Distortion + clone. I have found that with the Earth drive next to the Solar flare you pretty much have all the lead tones covered.
 #169955  by NeilG1

There’s definitely a difference between 89 and 94. That 90s rig has major changes. The pic you've posted is the rig as it came to being in 93 if I remember correctly - pretty close to "mid 90's" ;) Gone are the Twins, the Mac power amp - in is the groove tubes amp - really not the jerry sound of the end of the 80s or even 90-91. As I said, I don't know anyone chasing 94 Jerry tone, but to each their own!
I still don’t know that in 89-90 he had the EQ. Can’t see this anywhere. Curious if anyone has a pic.
 #169956  by wpmartin1979

NeilG1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:53 am There’s definitely a difference between 89 and 94. That 90s rig has major changes. The pic you've posted is the rig as it came to being in 93 if I remember correctly - pretty close to "mid 90's" ;) Gone are the Twins, the Mac power amp - in is the groove tubes amp - really not the jerry sound of the end of the 80s or even 90-91. As I said, I don't know anyone chasing 94 Jerry tone, but to each their own!
I still don’t know that in 89-90 he had the EQ. Can’t see this anywhere. Curious if anyone has a pic.
The Mac power amp is still in there at the bottom. I’d you listen to say Without A Net (89- 1990) - you don’t hear a mid range bump - that sounds even way different than 88-89, where I think he still had the MXR.
 #169957  by wpmartin1979

NeilG1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:53 am There’s definitely a difference between 89 and 94. That 90s rig has major changes. The pic you've posted is the rig as it came to being in 93 if I remember correctly - pretty close to "mid 90's" ;) Gone are the Twins, the Mac power amp - in is the groove tubes amp - really not the jerry sound of the end of the 80s or even 90-91. As I said, I don't know anyone chasing 94 Jerry tone, but to each their own!
I really like Jerry’s tone on some recordings from ‘94-‘95, songs like Black Muddy River, So Many Roads, Built To Last etc. definitely worth chasing in my book :musicsmile:
Last edited by wpmartin1979 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeilG1 liked this