#169486  by Jon S.

If I may inquire, on your Keely Reverb pedal, what’s “fugue?”

EDIT: Just looked it up on the Keely site. But still curious what you think of it?
 #169487  by wpmartin1979

perljam wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:12 pm Can't say enough good things about the Keeley Hooke Reverb. It's a spring reverb with great controls. I used it with a tube amp that didn't have reverb as an "always on" Jerry-tone reverb. It was great, and has a level control that you can use to give it a bit of boost for that 'edge of breakup' goodness (or not, if you set it for unity).
That sounds cool ... Milkman also makes the F Stop which has a Spring Reverb designed by Keeley, has good reviews, supposed to be Fenderishy, also has a Tremolo, not cheap tho .. anyone tried that one?
 #169491  by strumminsix

Reading all these awesome reviews and one things strikes me: most everyone is thinking spring reverb.

I'd argue that much of the beautiful JG style reverb over the years came from Lexicon units... So why not look there?
2 manufacturers that come to mind are: Source Audio + Strymon

If you're looking for simpler The Polara does a great job of ballparking that. And surprisingly Keeley's Omni in plate mode does too.
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #169493  by Jon S.

strumminsix wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:55 ammuch of the beautiful JG style reverb over the years came from Lexicon units... So why not look there?

If you're looking for simpler ... Keeley's Omni in plate mode does too.
I love the simplicity of that Keeley model. I'll keep it in mind if I find I want to upgrade from my 1st gen EH Holy Grail.

This reviewer describes the Keeley Omni's plate reverb tone as being modeled on the EMT140 (pictured below): https://www.musicradar.com/news/keeleys ... fect-depth

#169494  by Gr8fulCadi

strumminsix wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:55 am Reading all these awesome reviews and one things strikes me: most everyone is thinking spring reverb.

I'd argue that much of the beautiful JG style reverb over the years came from Lexicon units... So why not look there?

If you're looking for simpler The Polara does a great job of ballparking that. And surprisingly Keeley's Omni in plate mode does too.
I’m glad you mentioned this. Literally two days ago I tried a dual reverb setup. Both light/modest amounts as to not take away from the note purity. I used the modded Super Reverb amps spring reverb and also Fender’s Marine Layer reverb pedal which is a plate and hall type. It was very enjoyable to play.

Not claiming it’s a Jerry reverb but the minute I turned off the pedal and was left with just the amps reverb, I was instantly craving for more. It was cool 8)
strumminsix, Jon S. liked this
 #169495  by wpmartin1979

Speaking of plate reverb, I’ve read a lot of good things both in this forum and elsewhere about the Catalinbread Talisman.
Not to keep bringing up one pedal maker, but the reviews speak for themselves. :shock:
 #169496  by wpmartin1979

strumminsix wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:55 am Reading all these awesome reviews and one things strikes me: most everyone is thinking spring reverb.

What settings did he use on the Lexicon unit? Plate?
 #169497  by strumminsix

wpmartin1979 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:09 pm

What settings did he use on the Lexicon unit? Plate?
Unsure. Also think he ran a RealTube Reverb as well. From what my ears say, JG didn't want the splashy uncontrolled reverb that comes with springs but didn't want the muddy echo chambers that come with all types. Which lead me to think... plate. But I don't know!
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169498  by strumminsix

wpmartin1979 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:59 pm Speaking of plate reverb, I’ve read a lot of good things both in this forum and elsewhere about the Catalinbread Talisman.
Not to keep bringing up one pedal maker, but the reviews speak for themselves. :shock:
Ears only. that's the finest sounding, simple format, reverb pedal i've ever heard. found myself not wanting anything else. of course it's modelled after the EMT140.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0370/ ... 1588317198
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169499  by Jon S.

FWIW Brad Sarno posted this here in 2009:

Re: Reverb Help
#60007 by SarnoMusicSolutions
Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:47 pm

Mr. Springy will definitely not get you there, it's a very low-grade, low-fi design. Check out the new RV-7 by Lexicon/Digitech. The T-Rex RoomMate has an analog dry path, uses a tube, and gets amazing reviews. The Vanamps is ok I hear, but not as long and lush as you may want. If you're going with a rack unit, there are plenty of units by Lexicon and TC that will sound killer, and I'm sure if Jerry had lived long enough, he likely may have gravitated in that direction. Digital today sounds far better than back in the day. If you gotta have springs, there are also plenty of vintage spring units that will sound pretty cool; Orban, Furman, Butler (Tube Works), Sound Workshop, and more. And don't be deceived into thinking the Tube Works reverb unit is all tube. It's mostly solid state with a couple of "starved voltage" tube stages to help warm it up a bit. They're pretty good, but there are others worthy of consideration.

Brad

https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?t=6274
strumminsix liked this
 #169500  by Jon S.

Here's another old RUKIND post that gets into Jerry's reverb a little bit:

Jerry's use of the ADA 2FX, Lexicons and Phase100
#132044 by williamsaut
Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:33 am

Hey, Thought I'd start a discussion about how and how much Jerry used the ADA 2FX, Lexicon PCM series reverb units and the Phase 100 to achieve some of his great tones. I know that the general consensuses is that his magical crisp, sizzling clean tone was a modded AB763 Fender twin preamp and the special tonal characteristics of a 'pushed to the limit' Mcintosh linear amp and JBL E120 speakers. But over the years I had heard more in his 'clean' solo playing that I couldn't explain never mind replicate with such a front end. I'd heard a bubbling, bell type of sound, almost envelope'ish at times. Subtle modulation sounds that couldn't be explained with simply a tube reverb. We've all seen his ADA unit in the rack pedaled out for mix and regen. I've heard him dial them in during a solo to get just the right plate effect that characterized his solo's at there best. The chorus he uses in Peggio is unmistakable and most likely the chorus in the 2FX but, His 'high on the mountain' reverb effects such as 'Tales of Yankee Power' in the JGB must be the product of one of the Lexicons but which one and how's it set? Also, I'm convinced that while he used the MXR Phase 100 for obvious and non-subtle 'Stop that Train' and Sugeree solos and such, he may have also used it to achieve some of his characteristic distortion effect combined with the MXR dist+. A slow phase or chorus effect in his distortion tones combined with his fender and lexicon reverbs dialed in just so might be what is being heard. But I've heard next to nothing about the use of these effects on this board. Any thoughts anyone?

Peace,

https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?t=14942
 #169501  by Jon S.

And this is from the '90s - you can see the BK Butler Real Tube Reverb rack at the top:

wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169504  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:56 pm And this is from the '90s - you can see the BK Butler Real Tube Reverb rack at the top:

From what I understand the Real Tube unit is definitely Spring reverb ... wish I could get my hands on one ... lol