#169340  by wpmartin1979

We all can relate. You saved up your whole month’s pay for the upcoming run of shows barnstorming through your area. You converted it all to cash and refrained from buying tickets because you knew that with enough determination and luck you would be able to score tickets for less than face value in the lot, thus expanding your tour by at least 2 shows. You used up all of your sick days and took the next week off before bolting just a little bit early on Friday afternoon, thinking that you could avoid rush hour traffic. You had just enough to get into the shows, hydrate and stay well fed on veggie burritos and grilled cheese sandwiches for the next 10 days. Oh, and a little bit extra for your head … um, okay a lot extra :)

Everything was going as planned. The shows were killer, your favorite guests were invited on stage. This dude you met at a show way back even played in one of the opening bands and you got to hang out back stage for an hour. That’s where you met the guy dressed head-to-toe in Tye Dye. Yes, he even had the matching Tye Dye bandana and socks. He was wearing bright orange sneakers and Elvis sunglasses with red lenses. He told you that the stuff was mellow. You took his advice with a grain of salt, but decided to eat two anyway. After all, the best night of the tour was coming up and Santana was set to come out for part of the second set.

Everything else is a blur. Your wallet was only one of the many things that you lost track of that night. It was one of the best nights of your life. You met more kind people and made more friends in one night than you had in your entire life. Ragged but right, you made it to the last couple of shows by accepting the kind offerings of your fellow travelers, all the while reveling in the minimalism of simplicity of having nothing to lose.

When the last note was played and the band rolled away into the sun, your were dropped off in front of your apartment without your car, your wallet or your backpack full of supplies. You had a plan to retrieve your car, but that would have to wait. You were so inspired by the music that you had been itching to pick up your guitar and jam.

There was only one problem! In order to get the tone you were looking for you needed to upgrade some equipment. With only $200 left on your credit card you set off to reverb.com to pick your poison.

This thread is for all the budget minded Jerry Tone seekers who have found the tone they were looking for with minimal funds. Please tell us about what pedals/amps/guitars or anything else have helped you achieve your tone without making too much of a dent in your wallet.

After all, some things in life are just MORE important!
 #169341  by Jon S.

Excellent thread topic! For who doesn't love a price/performance winner?

My vote goes for one of these two options (I have both and deem them equivalent):

wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169343  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:17 am Excellent thread topic! For who doesn't love a price/performance winner?

My vote goes for one of these two options (I have both and deem them equivalent):

Why do you like them? (Besides that Jerry used them) How do they affect your tone? How much do they cost?
 #169345  by PurpleTrails

On the pick "why do you like them" question:

Been using the adamas picks for around 5-6 years now. Here's what I've found:

The picks are stiff, so you can get varying dynamics in your playing.
They are pretty easy to hang onto vs a lot of other options.
They produce a more clear or treble-weighted tone than basically anything else I've tried without being thin or ice-picky.
They have a good balance of slippery across the strings without losing the ability to dig in when necessary.
They are pretty perfectly sized to enable switching from flat-picking to finger-picking mode and back again.

They make me get closer to that Jerry sound on all but one of my guitars, which is a Martin D-18. No idea why that particular guitar sounds better with a 3 mm big stubbie, but it does.
Jon S., wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169346  by Jon S.

wpmartin1979 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:57 amWhy do you like them? (Besides that Jerry used them) How do they affect your tone? How much do they cost?
I like them because they sound great and feel great! I have such a stock of them, I have no idea what they cost new now. Do a search and give 'em a try!
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169355  by lbpesq

I got one for y’all. If you are going to do Jerry, you’ve got to have an Envelope Filter. I have an original Mutron III, but it’s just too big. I’ve got a Micro-tron III on my main board, so I know what a good envelope should sound like. I was putting together a grab ’n go board utilizing mini pedals and, after trying a bunch of ‘em, discovered the Valeton Katfish. You may have to look a while, I don’t think they still make them, but there’s one on reverb right now for $40. With a little tweaking it sounds pretty darn good, IMHO.

Bill, tgo
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169356  by wpmartin1979

Searing75 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:03 pm I love the Adamas picks, but they seem to cause static sounds when I touch them to my strings. Annoying. I have never been able to figure out the cause.
I also feel light they make that kind of weird sound. I guess static is a good way to describe it. Something about the properties of the graphite hitting the steel, almost like a scraping sound. Especially through the JBL aluminum dome speakers. I feel like they brighten the tone bit also sound a bit harsh.
 #169357  by tdcrjeff

lbpesq wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:57 pm I got one for y’all. If you are going to do Jerry, you’ve got to have an Envelope Filter. I have an original Mutron III, but it’s just too big. I’ve got a Micro-tron III on my main board, so I know what a good envelope should sound like. I was putting together a grab ’n go board utilizing mini pedals and, after trying a bunch of ‘em, discovered the Valeton Katfish. You may have to look a while, I don’t think they still make them, but there’s one on reverb right now for $40. With a little tweaking it sounds pretty darn good, IMHO.

Bill, tgo
Maybe somebody just bought it in the last hour based on your recommendation, because it ain't there now. :-)

Did you try the Mooer MAW2?
 #169358  by lbpesq

Yea, the Mooer was one that I had for a little while. I like a lot of their stuff. Their Slow Engine (clone of the legendary Boss Slow Gear) is one of my favorite pedals. And I have a couple of their lawsuit pedals, the original Tender Octaver (EHX Micro POG direct copy), and the Mooergan (EHX B-9 copy). I also just got their folding pedal board which is very cool.

Beside the Mooer, I tried the F Pedals Punqmonk, and the Malekko E Filter. The Malekko is a nice pedal, but they are closer to $80-$100.

Bill, tgo
 #169362  by strumminsix

Best thing I've experienced: a simple recording device!

Folks spends so much time in the gear they miss the simples:

Ears + Eyes: really listen to Jerry. Watch videos. Record your playing. Listen side by side!

Find some Jerry isolated! Listen to where Jerry leaves room for Bobby! And how he plays off Bobby and keyboard accompaniment.

Most folks here post clips with nice tone and chops, but are way fatter than JG's isolated, miss the cutting edge, omit the JG rhythm beauty of just a few notes, often much more simple than what folks think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDHiqby0Zjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ-UrWtRHzg
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169364  by Jon S.

I myself have never experienced any issues, with my 2.0 mm graphite pics, with static, "chirpiness," or anything else .

Perhaps it's differences in how we hold our pics and employ them:

"Generally I use a Fender extra-heavy flat pick, which I sometimes palm when using my fingers. The way I hold the pick is a bit strange, I guess. I don’t hold it in the standard way, but more like you hold a pencil. I think Howard Roberts describes it as the scalpel technique. The motion is basically generated from the thumb and first finger rather than, say, the wrist or elbow." Jerry Garcia (as quoted in: http://www.woodytone.com/2010/02/01/jer ... technique/