#168938  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:51 pm Image
Yeah I guess I’m not that picky. I mean I’m really just looking for a clean platform and letting the pedals add the sparkle. Works for me. Of course, once I get my FYD and compare sized by side I might change my tune. But for now ignorance is bliss!
 #168939  by Jon S.

True but that's simply my idiosyncratic preference. Folks seeking a more trad scooped BF power amp tone (as compared to the MC series' tones) will want to engage the contour switch and that's why it's included in the DCM200L (and not on all other Carvin power amps).
 #168940  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:05 pm True but that's simply my idiosyncratic preference. Folks seeking a more trad scooped BF power amp tone (as compared to the MC series' tones) will want to engage the contour switch and that's why it's included in the DCM200L (and not on all other Carvin power amps).
Jon I’m pretty sure the DCM 150 has the button as well. Also the HT 150 has it as well.
Also, On a different note:
After playing the Quilter for a while now (6 hours off and on) with several different guitars, I can say that it is missing something that only a tube can deliver. It’s great but there are moments during certain riffs/runs where I am missing the “depth” of the tube sparkle in the tone, which I am used to with my Super Champ X2. Channel one of the Super Champ just feels like home to me, but the Quilter is definitely fun and sounds really good for a solid state.
I’ll keep messing with it and trying to oak it in to see how good I can get it...fun times!! The limiter knob is interesting on this thing as is the mid adjustment in the eq.
 #168942  by Jon S.

wpmartin1979 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:21 pm Jon I’m pretty sure the DCM 150 has the button as well. Also the HT 150 has it as well.
Exactly, as those, like the DCM200L, are among the smaller, lower wattage Carvin power amps they foresaw guitarists using (i.e., I should not have said "all" in my prior post).

The bigger, more powerful units designed for sound reinforcement alone, e.g., DCM 1000, lack the EQ expand function.
 #168946  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:03 pm
wpmartin1979 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:21 pm Jon I’m pretty sure the DCM 150 has the button as well. Also the HT 150 has it as well.
Exactly, as those, like the DCM200L, are among the smaller, lower wattage Carvin power amps they foresaw guitarists using (i.e., I should not have said "all" in my prior post).

The bigger, more powerful units designed for sound reinforcement alone, e.g., DCM 1000, lack the EQ expand function.
Jon I totally see your point now, thanks for clarifying. In my estimation these lower power models were probably designed for use as studio reference amps, not guitars, but the same features that make them great for a small studio environment also make them great for use with guitars. You are probably correct, however that they new some guitar players would be using them!

These features include:
-No fan for cooling (quiet operation)
-Lower power output 100- 200w (perfect for clarity of sound in a controlled environment)
-Flexibility (a nice diversity of input and output jacks allowing use of 1/4” jacks, xlr, traditional speaker wire, etc)
-Small footprint (easily fits in 1u or 2u rack space)
-An eq expander option to allow a boost in mid range to color the sound as desired

The manuals make no mention of guitar and have diagrams showing the amps hooked up to studio monitors. This is the primary evidence I am using to base my conclusion on.
Not trying to be contradictory, just trying to share what my research has found and dig up more info to assist people in the future who may read this.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a power amp to couple with your guitar preamp, you may want to look at studio reference amps. They seem to fit the criteria well when it comes to what guitar players are looking for. In addition, Carvin has made some great amps that serve this purpose well and are made in the USA.
Curious, does anyone have any other recommendations besides Carvin? Would love to hear about some other options/alternatives!
 #168947  by Jon S.

>> The manuals make no mention of guitar

Actually, they do! From the DCM200L manual:

"6. EQ EXPAND SWITCH When set to the 'in' position this circuit will cut the mids by -4dB at1KHz. This works well as a loudness contour when operating at low volume levels or adds tone when using it in a bass or guitar rack. When set to the 'out' position it provides a flat, normal response. Try it both ways and set as desired.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/59311 ... e=2#manual
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #168949  by Alobar

I LOVE the 101 Mini Reverb. More as a practice amp though for low volume stuff.

For what it's worth I had the same experience with Milkman on a brand new custom ordered amp direct from him. the power scaling kept going out. dude was super flippant and not cool at all. Told me to sell the amp if i didn't like it. Meh. Never again.
Jon S., wpmartin1979 liked this
 #168950  by Jon S.

Alobar wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:04 amI LOVE the 101 Mini Reverb. More as a practice amp though for low volume stuff.
Have you considered a 202?

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/p ... k-202-head

-or-

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/p ... drive-202/
 #168951  by Alobar

I haven't because I have a Two Rock Studio Signature for loud stuff. I love the 101 for a little 10" cab that I have in the living room. Little things sounds so dang good.

I did also try a Milkman The Amp. I thought it was pretty warm and dull. I think he was way off base when he said it would be good for Jerry fans.
wpmartin1979, Jon S. liked this
 #168952  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:18 am >> The manuals make no mention of guitar

Actually, they do! From the DCM200L manual:

"6. EQ EXPAND SWITCH When set to the 'in' position this circuit will cut the mids by -4dB at1KHz. This works well as a loudness contour when operating at low volume levels or adds tone when using it in a bass or guitar rack. When set to the 'out' position it provides a flat, normal response. Try it both ways and set as desired.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/59311 ... e=2#manual
Nice catch! I happily stand corrected, guess I didn’t read closely enough, lol! After a closer look, the HT150 and DCM150 also say the same thing!
Last edited by wpmartin1979 on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #168953  by wpmartin1979

Alobar wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:04 am I LOVE the 101 Mini Reverb. More as a practice amp though for low volume stuff.

For what it's worth I had the same experience with Milkman on a brand new custom ordered amp direct from him. the power scaling kept going out. dude was super flippant and not cool at all. Told me to sell the amp if i didn't like it. Meh. Never again.
It’s worth a lot! Now I don’t feel isolated in my experience. Flippant is the perfect word! Perhaps he doesn’t like to face the music when shit goes wrong with his stuff. Must be an ego thing.
Thanks! I am really liking the Quilter as well for exactly the same purpose! I may move it into the living room with a 10” or 8” cab.
Are the small Quilter cabs the best option or are there other great sounding 10”/8” speakers out there for pure clean tones?
 #168954  by lbpesq

I have both the BlockDock 10tc (one 10” Celestion P.A. speaker), and the Frontliner (two of the 8” Celestions). Both sound great with the 101 Reverb. And the convenience of the docking station for the amp can’t be beat. I’ve used the 10” in a full band situation and had enough headroom to stay clean and be heard. (The limiter really helps in keeping the tone clean with the gain turned up). Paired with the Frontliner, this little Quilter will keep up with a Twin! I was so impressed with the 101Reverb, I picked up a MicroPro 200-8.

Bill, tgo
 #168960  by Jon S.

Alobar wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:47 am I haven't because I have a Two Rock Studio Signature for loud stuff.
You, Sir, are a man of wealth and taste (in only positive ways :cool: ).
 #168964  by strumminsix

Alobar wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:47 am I did also try a Milkman The Amp. I thought it was pretty warm and dull. I think he was way off base when he said it would be good for Jerry fans.
Seriously. Exact same impression. Like this product should have been my mid-board nirvana sending a feed FOH and feeding IEMs. But like you said... waaaaaay warm, sooooo dull, and that cab sim was horrendous.