#170170  by cyrusj83

AaronW wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:42 am What pickups are in your guitar? 77 there were Dimarzio single coils, at least two different sets. The SDS1 middle and bridge are lower output 6k for the middle and 5.5k for the bridge, for the current production. I've got several SDS1's from the late 70's and they are slightly less output, 5.5k being the highest output.

Just a theory, but if you're using higher output pickups plus 10dB from the stratoblaster it's really overloading the MicroTron. Another theory I've had for awhile concerning newer pedals, the smd parts used on a lot of them can't take as much signal. If you look at an original MuTron III, it's got these big axial electrolytic capacitors, a big transformer. My MicroTron IV is all surface mount components. While they technically have similar values, I have a theory that if you're using a 47uF 35v electrolytic that's surface mount, size of a grain of rice, that it's not going to handle the same signal and power as a 47uF 35v axial electrolytic that's 1" long and 1/2 in diameter. Same with the giant transformer in the original MuTron.

Personally I don't think it's possible to use the exact same guitar setup as Jerry, with modern equivalents and expect the same sound. I own a MicroTronIV, it's nice but from memory it sounds different than the original MuTrons I've played. If it was me, I'd turn that Stratoblaster down.

Again, these are just all my own theory's, I build effects and have been a guitar tech for 20 years now, but I don't have an electrical engineering background to back up my thoughts, just my ears :smile:
So I have DMZ Area 58’s. They say 5.8 on the website. For some reason my multimeter is reading like 19 and it’s freaking me out

That said my on-board preamp gain is down to 0. The mu quacks fine. But the 19 on the MM is worrying me.
 #170171  by cyrusj83

wpmartin1979 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:10 pm Interestingly, one of the boost settings on the Boostron II is based on the Mutron III buffer bypass circuit.
Hey thanks for the suggestion! I’ve seen you tout the Boostron here and on other threads. Do you recommend it if I already have an on-board buffer/gain? If so, why? What does that second chip (the boostron) get me in addition to the on-board electronics?

My Mu quacks fine so I’m not TOO worried about it, but you’ve piqued my curiosity.

Also my PU’s are supposed to be 5.8 but the multimeter is saying about 19 and I don’t know what to make of that
 #170172  by wpmartin1979

cyrusj83 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:49 pm
wpmartin1979 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:10 pm Interestingly, one of the boost settings on the Boostron II is based on the Mutron III buffer bypass circuit.
Hey thanks for the suggestion! I’ve seen you tout the Boostron here and on other threads. Do you recommend it if I already have an on-board buffer/gain? If so, why? What does that second chip (the boostron) get me in addition to the on-board electronics?

My Mu quacks fine so I’m not TOO worried about it, but you’ve piqued my curiosity.

Also my PU’s are supposed to be 5.8 but the multimeter is saying about 19 and I don’t know what to make of that
The only reason you would want it is if you either wanted to boost or compress the Mutron or another pedal like an octave or fuzz. It just gives you more options and flexibility in terms of dialing in the specific tones you are looking for.

Interestingly, the Mutron buffer boost circuit does not play well with my Eastwood Tiger buffer, which is adjustable but turned all the way down. It is fine with another guitar I have with a Tiger Wald buffer (non-adjustable) though. I’m not sure why but that specific setting gets noisy with the Eastwood - fine with all my other guitars.
There are three types of boost circuits though and the boost on the compressor is actually really good too, so four different types of boost plus a compressor to experiment with.
I’m not a compressor guy but this one is really good and adjustable like if you really want to crank the Mutron or Octave it will tame the spikes.
I like using the Ranger boost with the mids boosted into the Mutron Fuzz - gets that Bees in a Box Jerry tone
I’ve been getting into experimenting with super trippy, funky, synth like tones with my three Mutron pedals and for that it is key (but not necessarily for Jerry tone - more like STS9 lol)

If you are happy with your Mutron tone and already have a boost pedal or Blaster then I would say that you really don’t need to get it though - the buffer and an OBEL is probably enough.

I was just recommending because you mentioned that you lost your quack so to speak and I do really like mine. :musicsmile:
 #170173  by cyrusj83

wpmartin1979 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:18 pm
cyrusj83 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:49 pm

The only reason you would want it is if you either wanted to boost or compress the Mutron or another pedal like an octave or fuzz. It just gives you more options and flexibility in terms of dialing in the specific tones you are looking for.

Interestingly, the Mutron buffer boost circuit does not play well with my Eastwood Tiger buffer, which is adjustable but turned all the way down. It is fine with another guitar I have with a Tiger Wald buffer (non-adjustable) though. I’m not sure why but that specific setting gets noisy with the Eastwood - fine with all my other guitars.
There are three types of boost circuits though and the boost on the compressor is actually really good too, so four different types of boost plus a compressor to experiment with.
I’m not a compressor guy but this one is really good and adjustable like if you really want to crank the Mutron or Octave it will tame the spikes.
I like using the Ranger boost with the mids boosted into the Mutron Fuzz - gets that Bees in a Box Jerry tone
I’ve been getting into experimenting with super trippy, funky, synth like tones with my three Mutron pedals and for that it is key (but not necessarily for Jerry tone - more like STS9 lol)

If you are happy with your Mutron tone and already have a boost pedal or Blaster then I would say that you really don’t need to get it though - the buffer and an OBEL is probably enough.

I was just recommending because you mentioned that you lost your quack so to speak and I do really like mine. :musicsmile:
Thanks again for the thoughtful response! When I had my Qtron I put a comp after it to try to control those weird spikes. I also am not a comp guy; I don’t know how to properly use one and I took it off my board when I got the MuIV

I lost my quack when I cranked the AGB. I assumed that cranking the gain would make it dirtier but I think I was just wrong lol. It’s happened before and it’ll happen again!

The Boostron II is actually pretty interesting to me now that you put it on my radar. I’m wondering if it’s meant more for a passive circuit rather than active and/or OBEL.

Based on your response I’ll infer that it’s meant more for passive? And I understand TB and 77 wolf to be passive with the Mu gain for drive