#169921  by wpmartin1979

8-6-71 for me wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:32 pm
8-6-71 for me wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:29 pm
Jon S. wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:54 am
I call you and raise you: I don't think it's possible to use the exact same guitar setup as Jerry, with all of Jerry's own original components and expect the same sound.

Follow-up question for ya: If your MicroTron IV "nice," can you ID any other similar new pedal(s) by any builder(s) you've tried and deemed nicer? Thanks!
I'm just sayin... if I had to sell every other pedal to keep an original mutron iii it would be worth it to me. Think about how relatively little JG used delay/phase/octave/(even wah... post hiatus) and the fact that the miii was there from 76 or 77 til the end. It's the "k" in the equation; the constant. Clean tone, plus the distortion of whatever-era-you-prefer, plus the og miii and that covers 98% of what is on the tapes.

What about the tone suck though, I mean Jerry use a mondo midi looper to isolate all his tone sucking beasts :geek:
 #169924  by wpmartin1979

lbpesq wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:33 pm Not only would I not sound like Jerry if I played through his rig, Jerry wouldn't sound like me if he played through my rig. He would still sound like Jerry, regardless of the rig.

Bill, tgo
Oh come on this is just Classic postmodern French nihilism/relativism - I read The Stranger in high school too and even Sarte in college...

But those guys really are no fun.
I’m just a dad who is looking to have fun!

Chasing Jerry’s tone is FUN! Jerry said that the one thing he wanted to be remembered as was a person who had FUN!

You just can’t take it too seriously!
 #169926  by Jon S.

wpmartin1979 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:58 pmChasing Jerry’s tone is FUN! Jerry said that the one thing he wanted to be remembered as was a person who had FUN!

You just can’t take it too seriously!
I agree wholeheartedly - and I suspect many if not most others would concur - both that chasing Jerry's tone is FUN and you just can't take it too seriously. :musicsmile:
 #169927  by lbpesq

Definitely big fun! But the guy who bought everything that Clapton had shouldn’t be surprised that he didn’t sound like Clapton. I still maintain that 90% of the equation is in the fingers. But there’s nothing wrong with also chasing that final 10%.

Bill, tgo
 #169930  by wpmartin1979

lbpesq wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:48 pm Definitely big fun! But the guy who bought everything that Clapton had shouldn’t be surprised that he didn’t sound like Clapton. I still maintain that 90% of the equation is in the fingers. But there’s nothing wrong with also chasing that final 10%.

Bill, tgo
Oh yeah if your saying it’s about studying their approach to music and how they expressed their voice over sheer equipment that they used then agree wholeheartedly.

After all Clapton was chasing the tone of BB King, JJ Cale and Buddy Guy, among others...
 #169935  by Jon S.

I had a friend who copied everything in my rig in an effort to sound like me.

Poor guy, he failed miserably - he sounded much better.

:eek:
 #169945  by 8-6-71 for me

wpmartin1979 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:54 pm
8-6-71 for me wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:32 pm
8-6-71 for me wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:29 pm

I'm just sayin... if I had to sell every other pedal to keep an original mutron iii it would be worth it to me. Think about how relatively little JG used delay/phase/octave/(even wah... post hiatus) and the fact that the miii was there from 76 or 77 til the end. It's the "k" in the equation; the constant. Clean tone, plus the distortion of whatever-era-you-prefer, plus the og miii and that covers 98% of what is on the tapes.

What about the tone suck though, I mean Jerry use a mondo midi looper to isolate all his tone sucking beasts :geek:
I'm not sure... I have an OBEL which to my ears solves for that, the muiii gain is always at 6 fwiw, and it's a selector in and out of the loop for clean. But I can't hear any difference; depends on guitar maybe. When I played a stock Strat straight into the muiii it was a problem.
 #169969  by cyrusj83

Ooh I'm glad I found this thread to be active on this snowy day.

I decided to just lower the AGB to 0. Or whatever the lowest setting is. I think it's 0db. I don't think I noticed anything cool or impressive with the AGB cranked. I had hoped to be able to put some dirt on the signal with the Boost up but it just made it louder and still clean. Probably since I can't crank my amp at home.

Hell I don't even put any dirt/boost on it anymore. I got 3 Area 58's and they're the cleanest PU's I've used.

I just love that "dirt" that Jerry had on the TB and Wolf 2.0+. It's crazy to me that it's a "clean" sound (meaning the twin/mc/jbl is supposed to be clean) but somehow there's a base level of distortion/OD that I just can't place.

That said, in my quest for tone, right now I'm in the "just play clean" phase.
 #169972  by lbpesq

wpmartin1979 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:54 pm What about the tone suck though, I mean Jerry use a mondo midi looper to isolate all his tone sucking beasts :geek:

Several years ago I sent my Mutron III back to Mike Beigel for a tune-up. While he was in there he modified it to true bypass.

Bill, tgo
 #169973  by wpmartin1979

cyrusj83 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:54 am Ooh I'm glad I found this thread to be active on this snowy day.

I decided to just lower the AGB to 0. Or whatever the lowest setting is. I think it's 0db. I don't think I noticed anything cool or impressive with the AGB cranked. I had hoped to be able to put some dirt on the signal with the Boost up but it just made it louder and still clean. Probably since I can't crank my amp at home.

Hell I don't even put any dirt/boost on it anymore. I got 3 Area 58's and they're the cleanest PU's I've used.

I just love that "dirt" that Jerry had on the TB and Wolf 2.0+. It's crazy to me that it's a "clean" sound (meaning the twin/mc/jbl is supposed to be clean) but somehow there's a base level of distortion/OD that I just can't place.

That said, in my quest for tone, right now I'm in the "just play clean" phase.
I think you are referring to the sound of an overdriven Twin. It is the amp, not the guitar or pickups, although the Pups being high output certainly helps drive the amp. If you have a FYD, or SMS or Shiftline you just need to hit it with a boost. Jerry’s tone was a very high volume affair and that edge of breakup tone is the sound of an overdriven Twin.

If you don’t yet have a Twin preamp I would start there. Although, you may be able approach it by driving any clean channel on a Fender amp into slight breakup.
 #170034  by 8-6-71 for me

lbpesq wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:25 am
wpmartin1979 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:54 pm What about the tone suck though, I mean Jerry use a mondo midi looper to isolate all his tone sucking beasts :geek:

Several years ago I sent my Mutron III back to Mike Beigel for a tune-up. While he was in there he modified it to true bypass.

Bill, tgo
That's hilarious... because a few years ago I had a mutron iii that someone true-bypassed and I sent it to Lingenberg to put back to stock! And I actually had another m3 that someone made a three switch: effect on/effect off/true bypass effect off. Lingenberg had never seen that before...
 #170035  by Jon S.

It's all good. :-?