#167979  by lbpesq

Of these pedals, the Envelope Filter is by far the most sensitive to input level. Given that you are using an OBEL, placing the Q-Tron first will insure that it always sees a consistent signal. That’s precisely why Jerry wanted an OBEL in the first place, so that his pedals saw a consistent signal.

I have a wah pedal first and envelope second on my board, but I never use them both at the same time. While I don’t use an OBEL, (I prefer to go wireless and had my Custom Alembic Further built without the standard OBEL), I have guitar volume on “10” most of the time and have a volume pedal at the end of my signal chain, effectively accomplishing the same result as an OBEL.

Bill, tgo
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #167980  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:08 pm Of these pedals, the Envelope Filter is by far the most sensitive to input level. Given that you are using an OBEL, placing the Q-Tron first will insure that it always sees a consistent signal. That’s precisely why Jerry wanted an OBEL in the first place, so that his pedals saw a consistent signal.

I have a wah pedal first and envelope second on my board, but I never use them both at the same time. While I don’t use an OBEL, (I prefer to go wireless and had my Custom Alembic Further built without the standard OBEL), I have guitar volume on “10” most of the time and have a volume pedal at the end of my signal chain, effectively accomplishing the same result as an OBEL.

Bill, tgo
As always thanks Bill!
 #167989  by jalevinemd

I set up all of my boards the same way that Bill mentioned...volume pedal last in the chain. It's especially important when using OD, Fuzz and Distortion pedals (my personal favorites) because you can lower the volume without losing the gain from the pedal.

Another thing to remember...pedalboard building is a TON of fun. Don't rush it. Put thought into it and enjoy. And always remember, nothing is permanent. It may require a little Rubix Cubing once you start swapping one pedal for another, but finding creative ways to fit everything is half the fun.

Also remember that the underside of the board is an often overlooked potential space. Pedals that you may have on all the time can be placed underneath the board. Similarly, ones that you don't tend to tweak can be placed underneath and a tiny looper/switch pedal put in their place on top of the board.

Lastly...the world of micro pedals has come a long way over the years. If space is an issue, look to see if there is a smaller sized version of the pedal you're interested in.
 #167990  by Jon S.

LazyLightning72 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:59 pm I’ll start a dedicated thread to it a bit later.
We should award you a medal for revitalizing RUKIND with your recent gear threads. :cool:
 #167993  by LazyLightning72

Jon S. wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:55 am
LazyLightning72 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:59 pm I’ll start a dedicated thread to it a bit later.
We should award you a medal for revitalizing RUKIND with your recent gear threads. :cool:
Lol, I don’t think I can take that credit. My question threads would be meaningless without all you folks giving advise and input.

Some of this stuff I should have learned years ago, and I did start too, right before breaking my neck ( when I decided to start playing again ). Live and learn though I suppose.

jalevinemd,
Thanks, you make some very important points. I will take all the things you guys have talked about into consideration, and in many cases follow the advise as laid out. I am having a lot of fun putting this rig together.

When I was younger, I only cared about learning a song and playing it. Never looked into learning how to work on the guitar myself, or any of the things I am now starting to learn. Thankfully I catch on fast, a trait my dad passed on to me.

Hope your all having great weekends!
Chris
 #167994  by LazyLightning72

On the topic of question, lol!

I really enjoy playing along with the boys, sometimes I do it with either a CD, Video, and concerts on the archive.

What I need, is to get WAY WAY better at this. To do so I think working on a specific looped portion of whatever song I’m learning would help tremendously.

What pedals do you guys use for like 1 to 15 min loops?

Something I can loop audio of a specific album, show, etc... or if I want can make a loop of me playing something, and being able to play over it?
 #167995  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:08 pm Of these pedals, the Envelope Filter is by far the most sensitive to input level. Given that you are using an OBEL, placing the Q-Tron first will insure that it always sees a consistent signal. That’s precisely why Jerry wanted an OBEL in the first place, so that his pedals saw a consistent signal.
Bill is right but I just thought I'd add, what worked best for Jerry may or may not work best for someone else. Myself, I precede my envelope filter with a compressor (that I use only when I'm also using the envelope filter). Without it, the peaks are just overwhelming. I'm sure this is do more to my personal limitations than using an envelope filter per se but thought I'd mention it in case you experience a similar issue with yours. Also, FYI, I'm not after a completely authentic Jerry tone, just a tone I like. This is a good thing as my entire effects setup is a lone, digital Line 6 M13. Anyway, this is what the M13's Tron Up model preceded by a compressor sounds like:

https://soundcloud.com/gratefuljon/track-4-wav-clip
 #167996  by wabisabied

LazyLightning72 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:58 pm What pedals do you guys use for like 1 to 15 min loops?

Something I can loop audio of a specific album, show, etc... or if I want can make a loop of me playing something, and being able to play over it?
I use a loop station a lot to make my own loops to play over, and it’s super fun. Most of the time I use a Pigtronix Infinity Looper, which is stereo with two inputs/outputs that I use to run both guitar and bass loops to separate amps. It would work for what you want to do, but would be way overkill and is expensive. I also have a Boss RC-20XL, which is simpler but doesn’t bank very long loops, so probably wouldn’t be optimal, either.

Rather than a looper pedal, you could just make looped tracks in Garageband or something similar and play them from whatever mp3 device you like.
 #167998  by LazyLightning72

Jon S. wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:46 pm
Bill is right but I just thought I'd add, what worked best for Jerry may or may not work best for someone else. Myself, I precede my envelope filter with a compressor (that I use only when I'm also using the envelope filter). Without it, the peaks are just overwhelming. I'm sure this is do more to my personal limitations than using an envelope filter per se but thought I'd mention it in case you experience a similar issue with yours. Also, FYI, I'm not after a completely authentic Jerry tone, just a tone I like. This is a good thing as my entire effects setup is a lone, digital Line 6 M13. Anyway, this is what the M13's Tron Up model preceded by a compressor sounds like:

https://soundcloud.com/gratefuljon/track-4-wav-clip
You have a really nice tone in that clip.

wabisabied,
Thanks for the input, I didn’t think to try GarageBand.
Jon S. liked this
 #167999  by LazyLightning72

The ones I have been looking at like the Boss RC-1 Loop Station(for example), at first glance looks like a solution to looping me playing. However having the option to loop an outside source like from a CD, video, etc... is harder to tell if they will do it also. It doesn’t seem like they do, unless I’m missing something.
 #168001  by lbpesq

You might want to check out the TC Electronics Wiretap. Similar to a looper, but perhaps more in line with what you are looking for. I haven’t tried one personally, but a friend recently got one and he loves it.

Bill, tgo
 #168003  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:06 pm You might want to check out the TC Electronics Wiretap. Similar to a looper, but perhaps more in line with what you are looking for. I haven’t tried one personally, but a friend recently got one and he loves it.

Bill, tgo
I’ll take a look at the Wiretap, thanks Bill!
Got my PolyTune 3 mini today, I decided at the last minute to get it instead of the other one. The rest of my pedals, power supplies, and the board itself will be here on the 2nd.
 #168004  by lbpesq

A couple of years ago, following an outdoor gig in bright sun where I couldn‘t see my tuner, I went on a mission to find a tuner that could be read in bright sunlight. I found only two: the Peterson StroboStomp, and the Polytune (I got the mini, didn’t try the big one). The Polytune, being 1/3 the size of the Peterson, has lived on my board ever since. Good choice!

By the way, have you decided how you are connecting the pedals together? I love the George L solderless connectors for pedal boards.

Bill, tgo
 #168005  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:03 pm A couple of years ago, following an outdoor gig in bright sun where I couldn‘t see my tuner, I went on a mission to find a tuner that could be read in bright sunlight. I found only two: the Peterson StroboStomp, and the Polytune (I got the mini, didn’t try the big one). The Polytune, being 1/3 the size of the Peterson, has lived on my board ever since. Good choice!

By the way, have you decided how you are connecting the pedals together? I love the George L solderless connectors for pedal boards.

Bill, tgo
It’s such a tiny pedal, but I don’t want a tuner pedal taking up much room.

For now I’m gonna just use some Ernie Ball 6" Flat Angle, just to get it up and running.