#167925  by TI4-1009

Jerry used the wah in the early 70s, but ditched it when he got the Mutron. Octave Divider is only used as "spice" in a few songs (but fun!). Phaser (MXR 100) used rarely (Candyman solo). Next I would say is some kind of "grit" for when he digs in. MXR Distortion + early, Boss OD-1 (or variations) late. Delay used a lot I think, but only very, very subtly.

So for the next pedal- "Meat" would be a distortion of some kind, "spice" might be an octave divider.

Some aftermarket distortion pedals have been built to emulate what Jerry was getting- think Sarno Earth Drive (one for sale here now).
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #167930  by LazyLightning72

Alright then, I’ll put a hold on the MXR Analog Delay for now I guess. I’ll also take a look at the ones mentioned.

Continued thanks, hope you guys have great weekends!
 #167931  by PurpleTrails

I'd opt for a dirt pedal of some type first. The modern Distortion+ IMO aren't the greatest sounding pedal; I have one on my board, but kind of reluctantly, more for the fact that it has a buffer so improves the sound being routed around 10 or so other pedals. The whirlwind gold box is a modern clone of the Dist+ that is closer to the original, or the solar flare as already mentioned, or you could look into one of the boss pedals.

In delays I've had good results with the MXR Carbon Copy. It's a really good-sounding analog delay, and probably both much cheaper and more reliable than an old MXR Analog Delay. It's the best selling delay pedal out there for a reason, and you can easily get Jerry type tones with it. They're $149 new, but you can likely get a used one for around $100. Delay pops up in the outro jam in Looks Like Rain, a few other places, and space.
 #167933  by LazyLightning72

PurpleTrails wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:36 pm I'd opt for a dirt pedal of some type first. The modern Distortion+ IMO aren't the greatest sounding pedal; I have one on my board, but kind of reluctantly, more for the fact that it has a buffer so improves the sound being routed around 10 or so other pedals. The whirlwind gold box is a modern clone of the Dist+ that is closer to the original, or the solar flare as already mentioned, or you could look into one of the boss pedals.

In delays I've had good results with the MXR Carbon Copy. It's a really good-sounding analog delay, and probably both much cheaper and more reliable than an old MXR Analog Delay. It's the best selling delay pedal out there for a reason, and you can easily get Jerry type tones with it. They're $149 new, but you can likely get a used one for around $100. Delay pops up in the outro jam in Looks Like Rain, a few other places, and space.
I watched a few demo vids of the MXR Carbon Copy, some were focused on trying to achieve a better Jerry tone, and a few others were just straight up reviews, with demonstrations of the different settings. I really liked what they were getting from it. I have been unable to get the now obsolete Fender Fuse software to work on my new laptop. So I have been left to putting the Fender Mustang into a “clean mode” that’s shuts everything off but the master volume.

The Q Tron+ is really fun to play with, especially when you hit that tone your looking for. Due to how I’m using the amp the sound is a bit one dimensional. That’s why I thought the Carbon Copy might be a good next step. I’m trying to make a rig I’m happy with, I only play at home, by myself. Sometimes along with a concert, other times with a downloaded loop to work on my currently poor excuse for improvisational skills.

Before the accident back in 96 that essentially ended my ability to play, I was playing through a nice little Crate G4 amp. It wasn’t the best to achieve what I was aiming for, but I would gladly be working with it right now then this Mustang II

My cable should be here at the beginning of the week to start testing/using the obel finally. I’m sure you know the pain you get when you get that tone right where you want it and you lose it immediately by touching the volume control to much, lol!
 #167936  by LazyLightning72

Well as things sometimes happen, it has come to my attention that I can actually get the rest of the stuff I need now, and not wait for any specific piece. Yay for me!

So I think I’m gonna go ahead and get the MXR Analog Delay ( I just looked and saw they have a mini version, that looks like it will achieve the same goal, and will save space on my small pedal board) and like 2 others for now. So that currently gives me the MXR Analog Delay ( once I place the order of course) and the Q Tron+ I already have. I have the cable coming to get the OBEL working, which should be here next week.

And I need to say this before asking anything else, in case it’s not obvious. I know there is more to getting Jerry tones then the electronics, I think it’s possible to get in the ballpark though, and that’s all I’m attempting to do.

That said, what two additional pedals would you choose, and the best order to put them in? I’d like to stay in the $200.00 range per pedal IF at all possible.

There will be a different amp involved, I just haven’t decided which way I’m going to go with that yet. I have a couple I have been tossing around in my head, but haven’t narrowed it down to one yet. Maybe this question will help my decision.

Just to give you a idea where my head is at, there is a Fender '68 Custom Twin Reverb-Amp 2-Channel 85-Watt 2x12" I’ve been eyeing over on one site. My biggest concern is, I don’t gig and wonder if this is too much amp for jamming in my little music room which is approx. 18’ x 8’ (I really need to measure it to make sure, but think that’s close)
Also looked at a Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue 85-Watt 2x12, but with same reservations as the other. My current amp has a single 12’ and it’s plenty loud enough. Anyhow, I’m sure you guys get the idea.

Hope you are all having great weekends!
Chris
 #167938  by PurpleTrails

The twin will be too much in that room. I have a silverface with k120s, and I never play it at home in a room that is bigger than yours. It manages to keep up with high gain metal guys playing through 4x12 cabs when played at Jerry type levels, if that gives you an idea of how loud they really are.
 #167939  by LazyLightning72

PurpleTrails wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:16 pm The twin will be too much in that room. I have a silverface with k120s, and I never play it at home in a room that is bigger than yours. It manages to keep up with high gain metal guys playing through 4x12 cabs when played at Jerry type levels, if that gives you an idea of how loud they really are.
That’s what I was afraid of, but at least I know for sure now. I’ll look into something that won’t Marty McFly me across the room when cranked, lol!

I know there is multiple threads on the pedal/order subject, and I am sifting through as many as fit my current questions. I also thought I might as well pick a couple of brains in this thread. Couldn’t hurt... :-)
 #167940  by PurpleTrails

Good idea. Much better to ask around for free advise from those who have already sunk money into dead ends and mistakes before you do the same.

FWIW in a room that size I'd be thinking some kind of 1x12 solution, whether that would be a fender style combo amp, an SMS preamp into a digital amp then a cab, or something like a quilter head into a 1x12 cab.
 #167941  by LazyLightning72

PurpleTrails wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:50 pm Good idea. Much better to ask around for free advise from those who have already sunk money into dead ends and mistakes before you do the same.

FWIW in a room that size I'd be thinking some kind of 1x12 solution, whether that would be a fender style combo amp, an SMS preamp into a digital amp then a cab, or something like a quilter head into a 1x12 cab.
My thinking exactly,
Like I mentioned, at least I think I did, the Mustang II has a single 12” in it. I’ve never gone above 6 or 7, and that’s kinda pushing it.

I know and fully believe “If it’s worth playing, it’s worth playing loud”, but we are not trying to cause hearing damage here, just some sweet soulful jams.
 #167967  by LazyLightning72

I finally got the cable today, took them long enough, that’s amazon for you.

Anyhow, looking forward to trying it out tonight with the Q Tron+. I’ll let you guys know how it went.
 #167969  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:15 pm It’s always fun playing with new music toys. Enjoy!

Bill, tgo
Man you got that right, I’ve been playing about 4 hours now, using the obel. Which works great btw!
 #168084  by LazyLightning72

Just a quick update on the OBEL.

With me still being in the 45day “no questions asked full refund” grace period (Unless if falls apart in my hands in the next two weeks, it going nowhere. This is a very well build guitar, in every aspect) I hated to spend. That much on a junction box, till I knew without doubt the guitar had no issues.

I decided to just get the Stereo TRS to Dual cable for testing purposes. Happy to say, it is working flawlessly. It has made setting the pedals where I want them, and not have to worry about volume levels a breeze.

Thanks again to all of you for the help!
Gr8fulCadi liked this