#167143  by lbpesq

I’m building an Alligator and seeking opinions on the wiring.

One option is to set it up using Waldo’s wiring chart with the second tone control a dual pot allowing tone adjustment of both the neck and bridge pickups. In this configuration the middle control (1st tone control) controls the middle pickup (as opposed to the neck pickup on a stock Strat), and the 2nd tone control handles the neck and bridge PUs with the Blaster always on as on the original Alligator.

A second option I’m considering is to wire in a push/pull pot that allows the Blaster to be turned on/off. (I plan on placing the Blaster and battery in the unused rear tremolo compartment for easier access to the Blaster’s gain pot).

So my questions are, if this was your guitar:

1. Would you want to keep the assignation of tone controls the same as in a stock Strat with the 1st tone control wired to handle the neck PU (and modded to add the bridge PU) and the 2nd tone control handling the middle PU?

2. Would you prefer the option of a push pull pot so you could turn the Blaster on/off (in this configuration, you could set the Blaster with high gain and use it as an on-board boost)

3. If you would prefer the push/pull on/off option, would you prefer the push/pull at the volume pot or the second tone pot?

I hope this isn’t too confusing. Your opinions are very much appreciated.

Bill, tgo
Last edited by lbpesq on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ej9901 liked this
 #167144  by Jon S.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of push pull pots and like having access on the fly to the blaster's gain. Is it an option for you to use a minitoggle for the blaster on-off with an external gain pot for it? This is how Leo wired my SFW (below). I find it versatile.

#167145  by lbpesq

Thanks for the response. While I generally agree with you, I am trying to keep this build as visually close to the original as I can, hence the choice of a push/pull over a mini toggle and leaving the gain on the Blaster internal instead of mounted on top.

Keep them opinions comin’!

Bill, tgo
 #167152  by Searing75

Looking good man! I prefer the stock control layout. However, I would use a push pull in the last tone knob as a way to turn on the bridge when only the neck pup is selected. This way I can play with both the neck and. Ridge pup on at the same time. Cool tone.
 #167154  by ccw3432

It looks awesome! I'm all for modifying to get the most out of an instrument but with this one I would be inclined to go with the Alligator wiring without any extras. You did a great job with it visually and I would want the controls to match the original as well to keep it more authentic even if that means less options.
 #167155  by Jon S.

I must say your Alligator looks awesome and I hope it sounds as great as it looks!

On a tangential matter, Fender recently announced they're cutting back significantly on the use of ash in their guitars. https://guitarstation.com.au/pages/ash-bodies

Between the borers and other environmentally driven issues, I'm sad to say, the golden age of ash in America appears to be fading. Another reason for all of us to appreciate the ash guitars we already have.
 #167158  by lbpesq

Thanks for the comments everyone - keep 'em coming! The string retainer on the EADG strings is called a "Footman Loop". These are readily available - I got mine on eBay, as I recall. I had to do a little modification with a
Dremel grinder on the interior, then aged it with vinegar and salt.

Bill, tgo
 #167160  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:42 am Thanks for the comments everyone - keep 'em coming!

... aged it with vinegar and salt.
You'll have the world's first pickled Alligator.
FLH liked this
 #167163  by lbpesq

I already have the schematic for the original. It is wired as I described in my original post, and as referenced below. The question is whether to stick with the original or not. After reading all of the above I coming closer to a decision. I’m now down to:

1. I’ve decided to use a dual 250K pot that will control tone for both the neck and bridge pickup. So the question is where to put the tone controls?

A. Stock Strat:
Position 1 = volume,
Position 2 = neck tone,
Position 3 = middle tone.

B. Alligator:
Position1 = volume,
Position 2 = mIddle tone,
Position 3 = neck & bridge tone.

C. Proposed Modded Alligator
Position 1 = volume,
Position 2 = neck & bridge tone,
Position 3 = middle tone.

2. Any of these configurations can also include a push/pull to turn the Blaster on/off.

Still considering and looking for opinions.

Bill, tgo
 #172234  by franklins_timmy

Have been thinking about wiring my Strat like Alligator. What dual pot would I need to get? I don't see any 250k/250k dual pots. Wouldn't you want both to be 250k since the neck & bridge are single coils?

Also, would a standard Strat knob work or would you need something different?

Thanks
 #172243  by cyrusj83

franklins_timmy wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:22 am Have been thinking about wiring my Strat like Alligator. What dual pot would I need to get? I don't see any 250k/250k dual pots. Wouldn't you want both to be 250k since the neck & bridge are single coils?

Also, would a standard Strat knob work or would you need something different?

Thanks

FWIW I omitted the dual gang 250 since I’m using singles on all, and I just connected a jumper from the blade neck tone to the bridge tone. Not exactly to spec but way easier